GET OVER HERE! The Mortal Kombat movie reboot has found its director!

GET OVER HERE! The Mortal Kombat movie reboot has found its director!

Scified2016-11-18 19:07:40https://www.scified.com/articles/get-over-here-the-mortal-kombat-movie-reboot-has-found-its-director-24.png

GET OVER HERE! The highly anticipated upcoming Mortal Kombat movie has finally found itself a director! Simon McQuoid, a renowned commercial director and filmmaker from Australia is currently in talks to direct the Hollywood reboot, according to Variety. Unlike the 1995 Mortal Kombat film by Alien vs. Predator director Paul W.S. Anderson, this reboot is expected to sport a larger budget and produce a higher quality experience.

Image result for mortal kombat x art

Director of horror mega-hits SAW and The Conjuring, James Wan is attached to produce the picture with Michael Clear from Atomic Monster. Lawrence Kasanoff, who produced the 1995 Mortal Kombat as well as its sequel MK: Annihilation and True Lies will act as executive producer.

The latest draft of the film's screenplay was written by Greg Russo.

In terms of plot, little is known where this reboot will be heading. It will likely follow the storyline of the original game, which involved Earth realm defenders battling the evil forces of Outworld in an attempt to save Humanity. Of course, iconic characters like Liu Kang, Johnny Cage, Scorpion, Sub Zero, Raiden and Kitana should play prominent roles in the film's plot, however until an official synopsis is released, we won't know for sure.

Previously, Mortal Kombat made a thunderous comeback with the release of Mortal Kombat X, which introduced fans to a new generation of heroes and villains. Though, the game's own campain acted as a passing of the torch from old characters to new, we're hoping this film focuses on the iconic, more notable characters from the franchise.

As new details concerning the upcoming Mortal Kombat reboot are released, we'll be sure to keep you updated!

Source: Variety

Written by ChrisPublished on 2016-11-18 19:07:40
Related Mortal Kombat Articles
12 Fan responses to GET OVER HERE! The Mortal Kombat movie reboot has found its director!

Durp004

InitiateMember425 XPNov-19-2016 6:25 AM

Fingers crossed we actually get a GOOD MK movie.

I Meme Everything

2KMember4115 XPNov-19-2016 6:54 AM

^I've never seen an MK movie, what's it like?

Durp004

InitiateMember425 XPNov-19-2016 6:57 AM

Cheep budget, with some connections to the games in the first one.

The second one is pretty much the same but worse in every way.

MartianAdmin19953 XPNov-19-2016 7:57 AM

Yeah, the only attempts at a decent MK movie have been severely lackluster. I'm hoping with James Wan as producer, they focus on a serious, dark tone. I mean, Mortal Kombat is anything but lighthearted. I too and praying for a decent film this time.

I Meme Everything

2KMember4115 XPNov-19-2016 7:58 AM

^If those two MK films had lighthearted moods, I may not watch this one

Durp004

InitiateMember425 XPNov-19-2016 8:31 AM

I think it was just a case of people not really knowing how to move a game to a movie. I think both are pg-13 something that a mortal kombat movie should never be, and they basically took the characters looks in the first one, some bits of the story, and just tried tried to work with it, I can somewhat forgive the first, as an almost decent movie, but the second is just trash pretty much.

MartianAdmin19953 XPNov-19-2016 9:54 AM

Exactly. I don't think anyone really took the project seriously with the first one. Look at the upcoming Assassin's Creed film adaptation - looks unreal! If Assassin's Creed can generate that kind of quality, surely Mortal Kombat can. The lore alone is extremely rich, with so much source material to draw from.

I would actually love for them to create a series of anthology films the way Star Wars is doing. The first one, this reboot could focus on the conflict between the Lin Kuei clan and the Shirai Ryu, which ultimately led to the classic Scorpion vs. Sub-Zero feud. I'd love to see that.

I should add I'm a bit of an MK fanatic. Here's a pic of me from this past year's Toronto Fan Expo (essentially Canada's Comic-Con):

I Meme Everything

2KMember4115 XPNov-19-2016 10:09 AM

^lol

MartianAdmin19953 XPNov-19-2016 10:27 AM

Yeah, so my expectations for this film are already pretty high. Haha

I Meme Everything

2KMember4115 XPNov-19-2016 10:38 AM

^Yep.  xD

Durp004

InitiateMember425 XPNov-19-2016 10:49 AM

At base at least for the first movie it should be easy to follow the story from the first game. Hell just watch the opening to MK Shaolin Monks.

I think it's later on that difficulties could arise storywise, with it getting to convoluted with characters and other realms.

MartianAdmin19953 XPNov-19-2016 11:15 AM

It could, but I mean if the games can follow a coherent storyline why can't films?

The first film should and likely will focus on Liu Kang, Kung Lao and Johnny Cage in the first Mortal Kombat tournament. That way the concepts are explained and the main characters are introduced.

Xenotaris
Xenotaris
HinikunaGoji
HinikunaGoji
Dark Nebula
Dark Nebula
Conversationalist
Fallen, Not forgotten - FBR just surpassed 1,000 views!

Enjoy the best money pokies and play real money casino online in Australia!