Before J. J. Abrams was tasked with directing Star Wars Episode 9, originally Disney and Lucasfilm had tapped Jurassic World director Colin Trevorrow to direct the final chapter in the Skywalker saga. Now that The Rise of Skywalker has released in theaters, script leaks of Trevorrow's original plan for Episode 9 have made their way onto the internet via Reddit and have since been validated by the AV Club. Suffice to say, Trevorrow's version of Episode 9 was VERY different to what J. J. Abrams produced!
For starters, the title of Trevorrow's Episode 9 was Star Wars: Duel of the Fates (yeah, like the one track from The Phantom Menace's soundtrack when Darth Maul meets with Qui-Gon Jinn and Obi-Wan Kenobi on Naboo). Below is a breakdown of some key elements which differed greatly between both the Duel of Fates script and The Rise of Skywalker:
- Palpatine is barely mentioned - his only appearance was in a with holorcon message which he had left for Darth Vader, instructing him to take Luke Skywalker to the elusive, ancient Sith Master Vor Talum
- Force ghost Luke Skywalker haunts Kylo Ren
- Kylo Ren gets Mandalorian armor welded to his face following an injury
- Rose had a larger role
- Finn, R2-D2 and C-3PO travel to Coruscant to find a way to rally allies against the First Order
- Rey's parents are never revealed, her origins never explained
- Rey also meets force ghost Luke Skywalker
- Rey and Poe have a love interest with each other
- Kylo would have grown a beard
- Kylo Ren gets trained by Vor Talum
- Kylo fights a phantom ghost of Darth Vader and loses in a lightsaber duel
- Film concludes with Kylo and Rey coming face to face on the planet Mortis where Kylo reveals that he killed Rey's parents because Snoke ordered him to
- BB-8 hijacks a Star Destroyer
- Rey becomes a Grey Jedi
There is a LOT more that's revealed and if you have time to spare, you can check out the re-cap directly from the source below. The script leak begins at around the 20-minute mark:
Colin Trevorrow left Star Wars Episode 9 back in 2017 due to creative differences and lack of faith in the director by Disney. But, Trevorrow was brought back by Universal to direct Jurassic World 3, which releases next year.
Would you have liked to see Trevorrow's Duel of the Fates movie? Or are you pleased with the route Disney took and what J. J. Abrams produced? Let us know your thoughts in the comments!
Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker December 20th, 2019
More about Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker (movie)
Approximately a year after the events of The Last Jedi, the remnants of the Resistance face the First Order once again - while reckoning with the past and their own inner turmoil - altogether bringing the Skywalker saga to a definitive end.
Directed by J. J. Abrams, Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker's release date is December 20th, 2019.
Stay up to date with the latest news on Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker by liking Scified on Facebook and by following us on Twitter and Instagram! Also, consider subscribing your email to our Star Wars blog for instant notifications of when new posts are made!