Featured Merchandise
Scified Network
BREAKING! First Kong: Skull Island trailer released!

BREAKING! First Kong: Skull Island trailer released!

Scified2016-07-23 13:27:48https://www.scified.com/articles/breaking-first-kong-skull-island-trailer-released-28.jpg
2,971 Reads5 Upvotes41 CommentsAdd A Comment+ Upvote

Warner Brothers and Legendary just debuted the first trailer for Kong: Skull Island at San Diego Comic-Con moments ago and thankfully, unlike previous years, they have released the same footage to the general public as well!

We will be uploading a ton of screenshots soon, so be sure to check back for those! In the meantime, enjoy the first trailer and let us know what you think in the comments section!

For more Kong: Skull Island news, keep it locked to Scified!

Kong: Skull Island movie news, trailers and cast

Kong: Skull Island March 10th, 2017

More about Kong: Skull Island (movie)

Kong: Skull Island is a new King Kong film set in the new Legendary / Warner Brothers / Universal Pictures Kaiju cinematic universe. Acting as a blood relative and somewhat of a sequel to 2014's GodzillaSkull Island will introduce King Kong like never before.

Official Synopsis:

In March 2017, the producers of Godzilla transport audiences to the birthplace of one of the most powerful monster myths of all in KONG: SKULL ISLAND, from Warner Bros. Pictures and Legendary Pictures.

When a scientific expedition to an uncharted island awakens titanic forces of nature, a mission of discovery becomes an explosive war between monster and man. Tom Hiddleston, Samuel L. Jackson, Brie Larson, John Goodman and John C. Reilly star in a thrilling and original new adventure that reveals the untold story of how Kong became King.

Directed by Jordan Vogt-Roberts, Kong: Skull Island's release date is March 10th, 2017.

Stay up to date with the latest news on Kong: Skull Island by liking Scified on Facebook and by following us on Twitter and Instagram! Also, consider subscribing your email to our Kong: Skull Island blog for instant notifications of when new posts are made!

Written by ChrisPublished on 2016-07-23 13:27:48
Related Kong: Skull Island Articles
Kong: Skull Island director Jordan Vogt-Roberts is working on a new Monster movie!Scified2019-03-19 16:56:22/articles/sm/kong-skull-island-director-jordan-vogt-roberts-working-on-new-monster-movie-14.jpg

Kong: Skull Island director Jordan Vogt-Roberts is teaming up with Michael B. Jordan to create a new Monster movie for New Regency set in Vogt-Roberts' hometown of Detroit, TH... Read More

Fan Art Spotlight: Skullcrawler render by Dopepope!Scified2019-03-15 13:27:41/articles/sm/fan-art-spotlight-skullcrawler-render-dopepope-48.jpg
Fan Art Spotlight: Skullcrawler render by Dopepope!

Fan Art Spotlight: Skullcrawler render by Dopepope!

If you've been following Scified for more than a year, you're more than likely familiar with the work of Dopepope. Dopepope has proven himself to be an incredibly talented zBr... Read More

Prime 1 Studio unveil epic Kong vs. Skullcrawler statue!Scified2018-02-18 09:03:06/articles/sm/prime-1-studio-epic-kong-vs-skullcrawler-statue-26.jpg
Prime 1 Studio unveil epic Kong vs. Skullcrawler statue!

Prime 1 Studio unveil epic Kong vs. Skullcrawler statue!

Prime 1 Studio have unveiled their Kong: Skull Island Kong vs. Skullcrawler premium statue! The entire piece comes with changable accessories including the ship propeller Kong uses... Read More

Alternative Skull Island King Kong designs by Alfonso de la Torre!Scified2018-01-07 11:09:17/articles/sm/alternative-skull-island-king-kong-designs-alfonso-de-la-torre-49.jpg
Alternative Skull Island King Kong designs by Alfonso de la Torre!

Alternative Skull Island King Kong designs by Alfonso de la Torre!

Alfonso de la Torre was a concept artist who worked on Legendary Pictures' Monsterverse instalment Kong: Skull Island back in 2014. Below are approved concepts he created for the f... Read More

New Kong Skull Island Concept art teases an unused Kaiju!Scified2017-09-26 09:40:17/articles/sm/new-kong-skull-island-concept-art-teases-unused-kaiju-45.jpg
New Kong Skull Island Concept art teases an unused Kaiju!

New Kong Skull Island Concept art teases an unused Kaiju!

Kong: Skull Island was full of giant sized monsters, from the Skullcrawlers, to Kong himself. The island's bestiary managed to be very original and diverse, presenting the audience... Read More

41 Fan responses to BREAKING! First Kong: Skull Island trailer released!

KingKaijuGojira

Jul-23-2016 1:43 PM

^Took the words out of my mouth

This looks very promising and very ominous. I can't wait for more.

G. H. (Gman)

Jul-23-2016 2:04 PM

Looks like the rumors that Goodman's character may have some ties to Monarch could be true. Jackson's character seems to be filling in for Cranston's, "I WANT THE TRUTH" character. Oh please, oh please don't give the gifted Tom Hiddleston a flat role...

I DO like how Toho-esque this Kong looks--Standing upright like he did in the original King Kong vs. Godzilla and King Kong Escapes.

Jul-23-2016 2:31 PM

Agreed! I love how Kong looks (from what we could see). There's no doubt he will put up a good fight against Godzilla in 2020...

Sci-Fi King25

Jul-23-2016 2:41 PM

I'm wondering how big Kong is. He definitely looks bigger than in 2005.

cuponator3000

Jul-23-2016 3:22 PM

The film looks beautiful With that cast, this should be a good movie. I am definitely excited now!

Facehuggers

Jul-23-2016 3:39 PM

Apocalypse Now + King Kong = Great film

Jul-23-2016 11:39 PM

@Sci-Fi King, this King Kong will have absolutely no connection to any previous Kong films. So, yes he is much larger than the one in Peter Jackson's film.

Whalezilla

Jul-23-2016 11:58 PM

The position kong is seen doing realy reminds me of the toho design

I Meme Everything

Jul-24-2016 3:24 AM

I still want him to fight V.Rexes!

Durp004

Jul-24-2016 4:35 AM

I wish his stance was more apelike. He looks more like the silhouette of Sanda, or Gaira than Kong.

Besides the Kong look though looked good.

G. H. (Gman)

Jul-24-2016 7:54 AM

I prefer the bipedal look. Makes me excited about the more fantastical aspects of the picture.

And forget V-Rex! Give us Gorosaurus for him to fight if he's that big! ;)

KoldWarKid62

Jul-24-2016 8:14 AM

That was a really good teaser. Just enough to pique my interest (not that it wasn't already)! I'm really hoping this delivers and does well, as well as G2, so we can see those two go at it. I'm a huge KK fan, and the '33 and '05 Kongs are two of my favorite movies, period, so I'm looking forward to this.

Durp004

Jul-24-2016 8:35 AM

Not me. I understand toho's use of it due to having to put a guy in it(although I think kong looked horrible in KKvsG, probably the worst he's ever looked to me), but something as unrestrained as cgi would have been better to make him more apelike.

G. H. (Gman)

Jul-24-2016 8:45 AM

To be fair, he wasn't on his knuckles very much in the original 1933. He was a little in King Kong Lives and way, way too much in Peter Jackson's flick.

I think the bipedal look gives him more character and separates the "normal ape" out of Kong. One of the many problems with Jackson's version was that it was little more than an overgrown silverback gorilla. It didn't look like it had any prehistoric ties, it just looked like a normal animal shot with Rick Moranis's machine from Honey I Blew Up the Kid.

Kong needs to look and act different. My only complaint so far is that the forehead doesn't have that pointed, egg-shape to it. That really enhanced the unique look of the monster and is something I'm glad Toho hung on to for at least King Kong Escapes.

Durp004

Jul-24-2016 8:51 AM

Yeah the original is the best way to go, but I'd say it more meets inbetween Jackson's kong and this, at least from his stance here.

Jul-24-2016 8:52 AM

@GMan, yes! Gorosaurus! That would be something else to see.

I also prefer the bipedal look of King Kong. As mentioned above, Jackson's Kong seemed like an overgrown Gorilla, instead of a mystical/prehistoric phenomenon. I'm quite happy with the route Legendary and WB took with Kong's design. Can't wait to see more!

KoldWarKid62

Jul-24-2016 8:52 AM

@Durp - I'm willing to bet we'll see him on his knuckles as well, but the end game is to pit him against Godzilla, so his being able to stand upright probably works better toward that end. Agreed on the look of Kong in KKVsG. I don't think Tsuburaya or the suits were overly happy with the look either, but given that they were constantly squeezed budget and time-wise, they did the best they could. I still love that movie though, and I believe it remains the most attended G-film of all time in Japan. I don't think that record will be broken.

KoldWarKid62

Jul-24-2016 9:06 AM

"Kong needs to look and act different."

Just to be clear, regardless of look/design every version of Kong has acted different. Gorillas, although they could tear any of us limb from limb, are not known for their aggression or fighting, and they are terrestrial animals. They're not avid climbers! All the Kongs have been far from normal over-sized Gorillas, certainly in how the behave.

Durp004

Jul-24-2016 9:06 AM

@KoldwarKid62

The look he has in the poster does make him look more hunched than the trailer shot would appear. The original kong usually stood straight up when he was about to beat on his chest to look intimidating, or fight something. Maybe that's what happens in the shot we see rather than him just walking around and stumbling into them

KoldWarKid62

Jul-24-2016 9:18 AM

The helicopters are moving in on him and he's standing to face them head on. Kong is a giant gorilla, any way you want to slice it. It's really in the majesty of seeing this creature and how he acts that separates him. I'm not living or dying on him being upright or walking more like a gorilla. It's really about seeing the power of this creature and what he does. I've loved every version of Kong (even '76).

Emperor GorillaGodzilla

Jul-24-2016 9:52 AM

Surprised by the sudden knowledge of Gorillas displayed in this article xD.

KoldWarKid62

Jul-24-2016 10:06 AM

^You'd be surprised at what I know! ;)

Durp004

Jul-24-2016 10:20 AM

The real question is what else is on Skull Island, and how much this will connect to the Godzilla films.

They kept saying this was the start of the trilogy for the upcoming movies, so wonder what other monsters Goodman's character knows about, or believes in.

KoldWarKid62

Jul-24-2016 10:37 AM

@Durp - True. You know there aren't just going be your garden variety dinosaurs co-habitating with the big guy. There will probably be connections to G, and that will be fun to see. I'm glad it's only months and not years before we get to see this.

Durp004

Jul-24-2016 10:59 AM

I'm just glad we got the trailer. G14 got it's trailer at comic con but the public didn't see anything till december that year when it premiered before the hobbit.

KoldWarKid62

Jul-24-2016 11:06 AM

God, I love that CC 2012 teaser. I never get tired of that. I can watch that over and over. I can't say that about the movie. Yeah, they need to generate excitement over this. This and G2's box office will determine whether we see this battle of giants. Not a foregone conclusion.

Durp004

Jul-24-2016 11:12 AM

I think a lot of it weighs on this movie tbh. Seems they brought in a lot of big stars for it, for G14 we got Cranston right off Breaking Bad, but that was really the only super high profile signing. Some might throw Ken Watanabe in there as well, but this movie has a little more star power behind it.

Maybe given his history the studio has a little more faith in Kong being able to sell.

KoldWarKid62

Jul-24-2016 11:22 AM

I'm nervous because of Jackson's KK underperforming in theaters, and the low B.O. of Pacific Rim in the states. KK went on to do very well on DVD and Blu-ray and PR killed it in China, which helped to buoy both films. G14 got people excited initially, but ended up a mixed bag with a lot of viewers. Coupled with the long time until part 2 comes out you're right in that this needs to be successful. It does have a great cast, but G14 had some heavy hitters as well. They just didn't do much with them. Here's hoping these characters are compelling.

I Meme Everything

Jul-24-2016 11:24 AM

@Sci-Fi King 25: Kong is confirmed to be 100 feet tall in the movie

Durp004

Jul-24-2016 11:42 AM

Peter Jackson's may have underperformed based on projected views, and the huge budget it had but it was still pretty successful BO wise, just not necessarily opening weekend. I mean I consider the 1976 Kong the worst of the remakes(i don't count tohos in this), but it killed its box office despite mixed reviews.

I think Max Borenstein is still doing the screenplay, but they had other people come in fortunately, so maybe they can repair any characters, or lackthereof from him. He's really strange in that Cranston's character was great, but no one else was even close making me wonder if he was written by someone else and Borenstein just didn't change it.

G. H. (Gman)

Jul-24-2016 11:53 AM

KoldWarKid62,
Seeing as blockbusters earlier in the year tend to do better than films later in the summer, (particularly in August, although July hasn't been that lucrative this year) I'm not too worried about Kong.

Legendary's deal with Wanda pretty much guarantees it will play in China which is growing in box office dominance yearly. At this point, particularly for Legendary, China is the box office to look at as far as the movie making money.

China tends to love their giant robot and monster movies, and because those sell best in the territory, it's no surprise that pretty much all of Legendary's upcoming flicks dance in that genre: Kong: Skull Island, The Great Wall, Pacific Rim 2, Godzilla 2 and Kong vs. Godzilla.

And I would bet anything Warcraft gets a sequel. Sure it flopped in the US with only $47 million, but overall worldwide? The movie has made $433 million on a $160 million budget. China made up over $220 million of that. Legendary and Wanda would be crazy not to make a sequel and target it at China.

So basically if US and Canadian audiences don't show up to these movies, we know there's a proven territory where numbers will flock to them. The rest of Legendary's monster movies will make more money in China. I can all but guarantee it.

KoldWarKid62

Jul-24-2016 12:08 PM

GMan - I'm pulling for that, because I'd really love to see Godzilla Vs. Kong.

Griffin Nunnelee

Jul-24-2016 12:21 PM

Trailer looks awesome!  I love how huge and epic King Kong looks in this. I also like how John Goodman and Sam Jackson are going to both be it.   Let's hop that this movie is good so that we can see a future King Kong vs Godzilla movie!

KoldWarKid62

Jul-26-2016 4:15 PM

BTW, did anyone notice the giant spider?

Jul-26-2016 5:02 PM

Yes, KoldWarKid, I did! #KumongaConfirmed lol (@GMan)

KoldWarKid62

Jul-27-2016 3:22 AM

@Chris - Awesome. Hadn't seen any comments on it here, and if you guys mentioned it on Twitter, I don't have an account. Looking forward to this even moreso now.

Sign in with your Scified.com account to add a comment!

AOC117 just joined Team Mothra!