Bill Murray supports Ghostbusters reboot, or does he?

Bill Murray supports Ghostbusters reboot, or does he?

Scified2016-06-11 02:27:39https://www.scified.com/articles/bill-murray-supports-ghostbusters-reboot-or-does-he-18.jpg

The Ghostbusters reboot has started the talk show run with the cast having appeared recently on the Jimmy Kimmel show in the US and due to appear on next week's Graham Norton show in the UK. The four new girl-busters appeared on the Jimmy Kimmel show with the stars of the original movies Dan Aykroyd, Ernie Hudson, Annie Potts and Bill Murray. Some other outlets have stated that Murray gives the new movie "glowing praise", but anyone watching the body language and interaction of the guests will notice that all seem uncomfortable and hesitant to answer questions, with only Melissa McCarthy and Leslie Jones connecting with host Kimmel. From watching the clip below both Murray and Hudson's body language is in stark contrast to any comments they make, fuelling speculation that the rumors may be true that the cast has been threatened with liability suits if they do not promote the movie. Let's not forget that while Aykroyd and Hudson actively supported a Ghostbusters sequel, Murray's repeated refusals to commit dragged the movie through production hell, until Feig's reboot was greenlit.

During their appearance on the US talk show, McCarthy addressed the haters to the movies as being an overweight 45-year-old nerd living in his mother's basement. Of those that have maintained their position against this movie, none of them to my knowledge bear any resemblance to Kevin Smiths cameo in Die Hard 4.0. Almost as many women seem to be against this movie as do men, as can be evidenced by the plethora of Youtube videos from users such as The Wooly Bumblebee and Alachia Queen.

Sony has also released 4 new featurettes, each focusing on one of the main characters. Ironically, despite the studio's intention to attempt to build up the mythos of the movies world and the characters that inhabit it, these featurettes instead remind me of why I didn't like Paul Feig's last two movies The Heat and Spy - the characters depicted are one dimensional, empty stereotypes that we have seen portrayed countless times before and portrayed to much greater effect. Both Jones and McCarthy's characters seem interchangeable, both being loud mouthed and overly opinionated, whereas Wiig and McKinnon seem in most of the scenes as though they don't want to be there. The original characters were clearly identifiable and the dynamics between them is what fuelled the comedy. One thing this reboot and its cast seem to definitely lack is any sense of the word dynamic, there is just no chemistry between the cast, no sense of comradery.

From the featurettes, clips and trailers released thus far it becomes apparent that Ghostbusters feels like another vehicle movie for Melissa McCarthy. This no surprise as the director Paul Feig as stated repeatedly that he intends to make the portly actress a star in Hollywood. Unfortunately from what I have seen so far from McCarthy she has neither the range, ability or screen presence to remain with the Hollywood A-listers. And if the truth be told without Feig, McCarthy would not have a movie career.

Written by GavinPublished on 2016-06-11 02:27:39
Related Ghostbusters Movie News Articles
10 Fan responses to Bill Murray supports Ghostbusters reboot, or does he?

MartianAdmin19658 XPJun-11-2016 6:07 AM

Those interviews seemed so scripted. I love how they continuously throw insults at their fans. I'm not 45, I'm barely 24 lol and I definitely don't live in my Mother's basement. Sorry McCarthy, but I still don't like the look of this movie.

Engineer Tech Brett

NoobMember59 XPJun-11-2016 6:48 AM

Seen this in the comments section.....

True or not...who knows

MartianAdmin19658 XPJun-11-2016 7:17 AM

Wow, a quote from the supposed leaked email convo linked above:

"In order to more fully evaluate our position if Bill Murray again declines to engage on “Ghostbusters”, AG requested that we identify “aggressive” litigation counsel with whom we can consult to evaluate our alternatives and strategize.  [Harkening back to his prior employer, of course, raised the name of David Boies.]

Personally, while I’m fine with aggressive, I think we are in much worse shape if this goes public so seems to me we should look for someone who isn’t seeking the spotlight."

How interesting... thanks Engineer Tech Brett!

Centauri

2KMember2267 XPJun-11-2016 8:47 AM

where was Sigourney Weaver i wondered.

Centauri

2KMember2267 XPJun-11-2016 9:40 AM

Im so glad The old ones still exist

Mizikame

InitiateMember120 XPJun-11-2016 12:02 PM

The Press this has been consistently getting at almost a Full Year now (1month away from Theatrical Release) has me CONVINCED that this has been Sony Production's Master Plan all along. For what gain or venture who's to say; Otherwise the only other Logical Conclusion is that there are just incredibly under qualified at the helm that they definitely dont deserve the supposed $100k+ these people make for stomping all over a beloved Series >,>

Hecktor

NoobMember0 XPJun-11-2016 4:22 PM

I missed the part that Melissa McCartney said the guys complaining were overweight,  (It's not in the clip that she mentions they are 45 and live in their Moms' Basement) and I actually think she can be funny. At least, I think she's funnier than Jeff Dunham's puppet routine.   So, to each his own I guess huh?

Aorta

InitiateMember316 XPJun-11-2016 5:26 PM

So, forgive me my ignorance, but what is the deal with Sony? Have they ever made a good movie?  I seriously don't know, I'm not up on these things. They seem quite embattled.

Durp004

InitiateMember425 XPJun-11-2016 6:33 PM

I was watching Aykroyd and he seemed pretty legitimate. Of course he's probably just happy to see a new Ghostbusters.

dk
dk
Legend
G. H. (Gman)
G. H. (Gman)
Xenotaris
Xenotaris
HinikunaGoji
HinikunaGoji
Terminator Genisys – Who Is Matt Smith? just surpassed 10,000 views!
Léa Seydoux the next Bond Girl? just surpassed 1,000 views!
Best Sci-Fi Themed Slot Games just surpassed 1,000 views!
New Godzilla vs. Kong Images Revealed just surpassed 10,000 views!

Find the best top 10 casino in Canada!