A common theory among Star Wars fans since The Force Awakens has been that Rey is in fact not a descendant of the Skywalker lineage, but instead a descendant of the mighty Emperor Palpatine. During the time between The Force Awakens and now, fans have continuously debated back and forth as to whether or not this theory holds water. Since Episode 8, Star Wars: The Last Jedi hits theaters in less than a month, new TV spots and trailers have offered us new information and subtle details which seem to confirm this fan theory as correct!
A new TV spot for Star Wars: The Last Jedi shows Luke urging Rey to "resist it" - it being the pull of the Dark Side during one of her meditation sessions with the Jedi master:
I've included another YouTube video at the foot of this article by user Sylo, where he breaks down and chronicles all the supporting evidence fans have discussed since the theory came to be. Here's a run-through of the points expressed:
1. Rey's fighting style - as mentioned back when The Force Awakens hit theaters, Rey's fighting style was unique and mimicked that of Palpatine / Darth Sidious almost identicaly.
2. Rey's accent - British accents in Star Wars are usually reserved for people from core systems like Coruscant. Palpatine had a British accent as well and no one else besides Rey and the First Order generals seem to have this accent either.
3. Rey's temper - throughout The Force Awakens, Rey exhibited moments of pure rage when combating other characters and the First Order.
4. Audio clues - The Last Jedi trailer music selections and audio clues match that of the Imperial Martch and Palpatine's own theme music from the Star Wars prequel trilogy.
5. Luke's comments - mentioning that he has witnessed Rey's power once before - adding that it didn't scare him then but that it scares him now. He is likely referring to his duel against Palpatine in which after defeating his father Darth Vader, he was introduced to the full magnitude of the Dark Side. Luke knows of Rey's heritage and knows what destiny she is likely to fullfill.
6. Snoke's comments - The Last Jedi trailer clearly shows Snoke levitating Rey and his words echo "Fulfill your destiny". Had Rey been a descendant of the Skywalker lineage, her destiny would be that of bringing balance to the light side of the Force, as every Skywalker previously had done. The fact that Snoke - a Dark Side user is encouraging Rey to fulfill her destiny insinuates that her path leads down a darker road - that of the Sith.
7. It was confirmed that no one in The Force Awakens had blood ties to Rey. This means she has no ties to the Skywalkers or the Solos. This also debunked the theory that Rey and Kylo were related - they are not.
8. The title The Last Jedi refers to Luke, NOT Rey. This blatantly suggests that Rey will not become a Jedi and that the Jedi ordermay in fact die with Luke Skywalker...
The likelihood of Rey being a descendant of Palpatine seems more and more likely as each new The Last Jedi trailer hits the web. Check out the video below which I referenced earlier and let me know in the comments what you think. Does this theory seem legitimate? Either way, come next month our burning questions surrounding Rey's lineage and destiny should be revealed.
Solo: A Star Wars Story May 25th, 2018
More about Solo: A Star Wars Story (movie)
Directed by Ron Howard, Solo: A Star Wars Story's release date is May 25th, 2018.
Stay up to date with the latest news on Solo: A Star Wars Story by liking Scified on Facebook and by following us on Twitter and Instagram! Also, consider subscribing your email to our Star Wars blog for instant notifications of when new posts are made!