Scified.com☰ Menu
110 Now OnlineOpen Forums   ❱

Denis Villeneuve Will Direct the Upcoming DUNE film!

Denis Villeneuve Will Direct the Upcoming DUNE film!
Facehuggers!

Written By Facehuggers! on 2017-02-01 14:08:09

In a recent tweet, Brian Herbert, the son of DUNE author Frank Herbert, confirmed Denis Villeneuve's directorial role on the upcoming DUNE film!

"It's official -- Legendary Pictures has signed the very talented Denis Villeneuve to direct the exciting new DUNE series film project."

Brian Herbert

Special thanks to Membrane for the news!

At the moment, Denis Villeneuve (Sicario, Arrival) is directing production on BLADE RUNNER 2049. But how will he tackle the challenge of adapting DUNE, a book claimed to be unfilmable by so many audiences? Please sound off in the comments below!

Also, check out this awesome DUNE fan animation!

Replies

AtiFeb-01-2017 2:27 PM

Blade Runner 2049, Dune... what is the next one? He's a lucky guy! The David Lynch version is one of my favourite sci-fi movies. Dune series? More movies? Fantastic piece of news!

Facehuggers!Feb-01-2017 2:31 PM

132

I know right? He is being offered some very special projects.

David Lynch's DUNE is also one of my favorites, the special effects are fabulous!

"This is part of the weirding way that we will teach you."  :)

AtiFeb-01-2017 2:35 PM

Some space battles in it would be awesome. :)

MidGuardFeb-01-2017 3:14 PM

@Ati don't think there were any space battles in the first book. I think as a 2 to possibly 3 hour film, yes Dune would be a challenge to film. Lynch's Dune is great fun but a bit wacky on many levels. The Sci-Fi channel Dune miniseries is actually very close to the book and a wonderful adaptation despite some low-budget SFX. I'm rooting for Villeneuve but definitely keeping the expectations tempered until I see it.

AtiFeb-01-2017 4:00 PM

MidGuard, yes-yes, I know there weren't any, that's why I wrote it WOULD BE awesome to see at least one space battle in the new version. Placing one wouldn't be a big problem, I think.

MizikameFeb-02-2017 11:14 AM

Happy to see this get a Revitalization in this Era of Upgraded Technology & Mindsets

MaterializerFeb-03-2017 4:52 AM

Ooh noo.. Sorry guys, some flics are better left alone.

Same as Blade Runner, Dune is too much art(not perfect, I know). You cant really do a remake of Mona Lisa and tell it's "good or even better".. I still watch both on occasion and the imprint and feel of the time when they were made really left roots deep inside me.. Seeing them updated with Space Battles and billion dollar CGI is going to rape that place in my heart.. sorry again; re-"doing" Dune implies Lynch's Dune wasn't enough.. A change of style in production would render the original invalidated.. Lynch's approach is just too distinct..

Okay, let Villeneuve do a sequel.. could live with that.

R U H Feb-03-2017 9:36 PM

I hope this man talks to Alejandro Jodorowsky, after thinking about keeping Giger in mind....... dreaming about a classic Alien universe film.  Mechanical, cybernetic and Biological on the ghost matrix time chasm of hell on earth when lived in the Heavens. Doomed

CentauriFeb-03-2017 9:42 PM

Dennis Villeneuve is in the zone and we will have alot of fun watching these new interpretations be done with some long awaited deserving care. My movie grocery list is finally growing, it all started in 2012 with prometheus. those science fiction butterflies are bursting out my stomach (xeno pun) "rimshot"

AtiFeb-04-2017 3:00 PM

The 'first' version (by Jodorowsky) includes space battles. To be more precise, it starts with a space battle. :)

Oh, Jesus, Chris Foss space ships in a movie! That would be huge!

The_H8RedFeb-19-2017 3:59 PM

The only reason Lynch did it well is because his other films were "out there". Great but out there. Even Blue Velvet was pretty "arty".

Facehuggers!Feb-20-2017 7:25 AM

132

Man, I just LOVE Blue Velvet! Eraserhead is awesome too!

Please sign in to add a comment

Related Scified Editorials Articles

Featured Discussions

Alien vs. Predator 3 - Sequel or Reboot the franchise?

44 Replies • Last Post: 2017-02-20 09:22:14

ALIEN COVENANT: The Xenomorph

35 Replies • Last Post: 2017-02-18 16:05:29

Any Sci Fi Hidden Gems Out there?

21 Replies • Last Post: 2017-02-18 06:17:56

Best Portrayal of the Alien

43 Replies • Last Post: 2017-02-16 08:30:48

Featured Image Galleries

Alien: Covenant Images
Alien: Covenant Images

Browse the latest Alien: Covenant movie stills, film posters, trailer screenshots and concept artwork here.

Alien: Covenant Images
Kong: Skull Island Images

A collection of all Kong: Skull Island movie posters, images and trailer screenshots.

Sci-Fi Movie Merch Visit the Store