An OBJECTIVE appraisal of Fury Road - Why George Miller Doesn't Understand His Own Franchise.

3,104 Views25 Replies
Forum Topic

JamietheBastard

MemberNoobNov-22-2015 1:04 PM

An OBJECTIVE appraisal of Fury Road - Why George Miller Doesn't Understand His Own Franchise.

Mad Max: Fury Road seems to have polarised opinion, people either totally love it or totally hate it. There is talk of Mens activist groups boycotting the film because of a supposed "Feminist Agenda". What a load of bull****, it's the 21st century for god's sake shouldn't we be past this sort of crap (Feminism/Chauvinism) by now? We are ALL human beings. George Miller has stated that it was just a story, the damsels in distress that need rescuing by the hero. All the Max films have underlying themes and if Fury Road's is addressing sex slavery (which as we all know is a Bad Thing),  how does this constitute a feminist agenda? Do these chauvinists support sex slavery? Would they hate the movie more if it had been men held as sex/breeding slaves by a female warlord? A female warlord is exactly what I was expecting when the first info about the movie was released, Imperator Furiosa: I thought she was going to be the warlord and the antagonist. Why was Furiosa's rank Emperor? Very misleading. Anyway I'm going off topic here as this isn't the point of this post.

Well I didn't totally hate it and I didn't totally love it, it is possible to be ambivalent towards Fury Road. It was OK for a Hollywood Mega Budget blockbuster, but it does have a lot of flaws.

Looking for some insight into Fury Road and proposed sequels, I checked out a bunch of interviews and found that based on quotes from George Miller that the guy doesn't really understand the Mad Max franchise very well at all. Some of the things he has said about the franchise make no sense (based on evidence from the films), and some of his quotes left me scratching my head in confusion, W.T.F.? I will address this but first my objective appraisal of Fury Road.

Whilst there were a lot of good things about this film, I ultimately found Fury Road disappointing (about the same level of disappointment as Beyond Thunderdome). This is how I rate the Mad Max films:

Mad Max: 3/5

Mad Max: The Road Warrior: 4/5

Mad Max: Beyond Thunderdome: 2/5

Mad Max: Fury Road: 2/5

These are the elements of Fury Road I thought were very well done:

1. The stuntwork was phenomenal. Mostly all practical stunts, minimal CGI used for the stunts impossible to perform practically. 

2. The Cast: Tom Hardy and Charlize Theron were very good, they managed to communicate a believable relationship with minimal dialogue. It was great to see some good Aussie talent as these films are quintessentially Australian. Hugh Keays Byrne! The Toecutter returns! (I have come across some fan speculation that Immortan Joe IS The Toecutter, but that's impossible, you don't survive a head on collision on a motorbike with an eighteen wheeler at high speed).

3. The Vehicle design was great: The Road Warrior on steroids.

4. The cinematography was stunning and George Miller can direct a damn good action sequence.

The Review (Written not long after seeing the film again on DVD).

Mad Max: Fury Road: A movie that takes a long time going nowhere, then turns around and comes back again.

Tom Hardy was great as the new Max and Charlize Theron's Furiosa was a strong female character in the tradition of the franchise, but... where I feel the film was weak was in character, drama and plot development (Nux was the only one whose character had any development throughout the film), these definitely took a back seat to the action (hah) and were not properly served by the script (I have heard the film didn't have a proper screenplay as such, it was written based on the action sequence storyboards and it shows). Sure road battles are an integral part of any Max film, but did it seriously have to be a road battle for the entire film? It got mind numbingly boring and I found myself seriously not giving a **** what happened after two hours of non stop action. The Mad Max films are action/suspense/drama films, (they aren't deep philosophical musings on the nature of existence, but the themes they address do give your brain a little something to chew on) if I want two hours of nothing but action I can watch brain dead Fast and Furious movies! But that's what audiences want these days I suppose, all action no thinking, it's filmmaking for the ADHD generation. I expect a bit more from science fiction. In the original films the action was there to serve the drama and character development. In Fury Road, drama, plot and charatcer development are only there to serve the action.

Fury Road introduced some rather interesting concepts and then failed to explore any of them adequately as there was no time to with the constant action:

Immortan Joe's Society: how did it evolve so quickly after the war? Why were they addicted to mother's milk? The Matriarchal society: (the Vulvalini, seriously George? Mad Max character names have always been a bit over the top I suppose). The Bullet Farmer: (how the hell do you farm bullets?). The Green Place: It sank into the swamp and the only evidence that there had been a settlement there was one dead tree? no ruins? one tree? it can't have been very green then. The Spiky Car Tribe: These guys were pretty cool, I would have liked to find out a little bit of their backstory. The People From Max's Flashbacks: No, the little girl wasn't his murdered child, as a lot of Fury Road fans assume, his child Sprog was a boy. This isn't a reboot as George Miller has emphatically stated, and she calls him Max in the flashbacks "Where are you MAX" she says, I checked on the DVD subtitles, she says MAX not Dad. The Stiltwalkers: Suitably eerie. All of these should have gotten more screentime, and if they had it would have been a much more satisfying film.

Also I feel it was way too over the top and didn't fit in with the gritty, more realistic tone of the earlier films in the franchise (My dear old mother who loved The Road Warrior commented whilst watching Fury Road "It's not very realistic"). It was a comic book version of Mad Max  (Which makes sense as it was written by Brendan McCarthy) eg: The enormous amounts of fuel wasted in the film: that jerk with the Guitar/Flamethrower was just ridiculous, in the post apocalypse wasteland fuel would be a resource strictly rationed not shot out of bloody Guitars: As the dude sitting in front of me in the cinema rightly stated "What a load of bull****". EXACTLY.

I believe that when filmmakers are working without a mega budget, they produce innovative, interesting films but when they get a huge budget they go over the top and produce Hollywood mega blockbusters that fail to live up to the quality of their low budget work e.g. Mad Max: a pretty cool low budget Aussie dystopian action movie, The Road Warrior: A low budget all time classic Aussie post apocalypse action/drama, Beyond Thunderdome and Fury Road over the top Hollywood blockbusters, OK for what they are but definitely not up to the standards of the first two.

Certain things just take me straight out of these films: Tina Turner, The Gyro Captain who wasn't the Gyro Captain, Angry Anderson's ridiculous comic relief character, the car wreck Max and Nux survive (no one could ever walk away from a wreck like that alive let alone without any injury), the totally ludicrous idea that you could carry enough extra fuel on motorbikes to travel for 160 days, flamethrowing Guitars, wasteland settlements that mysteriously disappear leaving no sign whatsoever that they were ever there (except one solitary dead tree). Even in escapist fantasy I still want realism and some sort of internal logic, keep that unbelievable crap for action films and superhero movies. I think I need to take a Valium and have a nice lie down!

So, Mad Max: Fury Road, the best Action film ever made? Quite possibly. The best Mad Max film ever made? Not even close.

With The Road Warrior George Miller struck gold and unfortunately he has been repeating himself ever since, trying and failing to recapture what made the Road Warrior a worldwide hit by plagiarising himself. It started with Beyond Thunderdome and has continued with Fury Road.

Beyond Thunderdome: The Pilot. I didn't get this at all, I wondered why he and Max didn't recognise each other and what the Gyro Captain was doing there anyway, as he was supposed to be up north leading The Great Northern Tribe. Later I discovered that it was supposed to be a different character, who just happened to be... a pilot, played by the same actor!

The Feral Kid: The Feral Kid was cool in the Road Warrior, so in Thunderdome we get a whole tribe of them!

The Toady: A comic relief character who get's hurt to provide laughs (his fingers getting chopped off by the steel boomerang), in Thunderdome we get Angry Anderson's Ironbar, who goes through the whole film taking slapstick comedy pratfalls.

At least he did something a bit different with the road battle at the end, and I could have lived with the recycled bits from the Road Warrior if Thunderdome had been a better film.

Fury Road gets even worse with the self plagiarism, ripping off scenes from Mad Max, Road Warrior and Beyond Thunderdome: 

The Film Going Out Of Focus as Max crawls away from the wreckage of the Interceptor.

Actors From Previous Films Playing New Characters: At least Immortan Joe was a  totally different character to the Toecutter. In Thunderdome Bruce Spence plays almost exactly the same character as in Road Warrior, a thieving pilot: This was just confusing, many people assumed he was the Gyro Captain as the two characters were so similar.

The Wind Up Music Box.

Max Pulls Out A Hundred Concealed Guns.

The White Painted Guy.

Granny With A Shotgun.

The Shotgun Misfires.

Max Tied To The Front Of The Vehicle.

Max Buried In The Sand.

A Character Finds Redemption By Becoming A Hero, Inspired By Love. The Gyro Captain was a sleazy, no good thief who was only looking out for himself until he stepped up and became a hero, the leader of The Great Northern Tribe, inspired by his feelings for the cute blond girl. (A good character arc, but why reuse it? Nux's character arc could have been handled slightly different within that same framework and still be dramatically satisfying).

The Road Battle: Fury Road is basically nothing more than a feature length remake of The Road Warrior's climactic road battle.

There were more but these are all I can remember off the top of my head.

I'm willing to wager my life savings on the certainty that in the Fury Road sequels we will see:

1. A Pilot Character. (Played by Bruce Spence more than likely).

2. Some sort of Thunderdome style Cage Death Match.

3. A Feral Kid.

4. A Community of Noble Survivors besieged by wasteland s***. 

5. A Flyover of a Nuked City.

6. More Bloody Pop Stars: Tina Turner, iOTA, Angry Anderson (At least Angry is a Rocker not a talentless Pop Star). Who next? Kylie Bloody Minogue and Katy Perry as wasteland warriors? The musician who should be in it is Russell Brand, he would make an awesome wasteland war chief!

7. An antagonist who is revealed to be a character from the previous films. (this actaually isn't a bad idea, if handled well it could make a good twist ending) This isn't to far fetched, it's an idea George Miller has had before: The Humungus was really Max's old friend, Jim Goose, he wore the mask to disguise his burnt face (he must have spent a hell of a lot of time at the Gym though). Also there was some speculation that The Humungus was really Fifi Macafee, Max's old boss (Big guy, bald, could be). People are speculating that Immortan Joe is The Toecutter, but that doesn't make sense as I explained previously. Personally I think that under the mask Immortan Joe is really.......Aunty Entity (Tina Turner's really let herself go)!

If Fury Road was a reboot of the franchise, I could understand George Miller recycling scenes from the earlier films. But he has stated that it isn't a reboot just another Max adventure, so he's just blatantly ripping himself off by repeating the good bits from previous films, a practice he began with Beyond Thunderdome.

Why George Miller Doesn't Understand His Own Franchise.

After reading a bunch of interviews with George Miller I have come to realise that he really doesn't understand the franchise he created:

First up (and this a common misconception) is the mistaken belief that the original Mad Max is a Post Apocalyptic film. It isn't, the Apocalypse takes place between Mad Max and The Road Warrior. The first film is Dystopian: Society is in terminal decay, but there is still Government and law and order. The Nuclear War hasn't taken place yet, we find out about that in the prologue to the Road Warrior, Old Feral Kid narrator: "For reasons long forgotten, two mighty warrior tribes went to war. They touched off a blaze that engulfed them all".

"Miller also talks about the earlier movies, stating that the reason the first movie was shown within a POST APOCALYPTIC future was determined by cost". Maybe he should go back and watch it again to refresh his memory (or check the dictionary for the difference between Dystopian and Post Apocalyptic).

"The previous three films exist in no clear chronology, because they were all conceived as different films". Really? That's total garbage Mr. Miller, the first three films are in strict chronological order, let's examine the evidence:

1. Mad Max: Civilisation still exists, there is Government and Law and Order. The Interceptor is brand new.

2. The Road Warrior: The Interceptor is dirty, dented and has been modified. There's been a Nuclear Holocaust. Civilisation is gone. In this movie it can't have been that long since the war, because Max and the gangs are still scavenging fuel and fuel has a limited life span, It goes bad and is no longer combustable.(maybe they had ripped off another community of survivors who just happen to have an oil well and refinery, but that is a bit far fetched). The Interceptor is totally trashed then it blows up KABOOM gone.

3. Beyond Thunderdome: Max no longer has the Interceptor. He's grown a wicked mullet, has new items of clothing, new transport and acquired a small arsenal of weaponry. Primitive forms of trade and civilisation are starting to emerge. We see the nuked ruins of Sydney. Water sellers are selling water contaminated with radiation.

That seems to me to be pretty clear indication of these films all being in srict chronological order, it's like a jigsaw puzzle, there's no other way they could fit together chronologically. Beyond Thunderdome can't be set before the Road Warrior or Mad Max, Mad Max can't take place after Road Warrior or Beyond Thunderdome, Road Warrior can't be set before Mad Max. That's a stone cold fact, the logic is indisputable.

"If the film (Fury Road) had to be fit into the timeline of the other three films where does it go?" George Miller: "It's not precise chronology, because I never intended for there to be, but after the last one. After Thunderdome". 

Really? Did the Interceptor magically reconstitute itself (LIke Christine in Stephen King's novel)? Or did he just happen to find another one that had been identically modified? Fury Road has to take place between Mad Max and the Road Warrior, HE STILL HAS THE INTERCEPTOR. 

The films in chronological order:

1. Mad Max. 2. Fury Road. 3. The Road Warrior. 4. Beyond Thunderdome. 

The evidence proves this, it would withstand cross examination in a court of law: George Miller doesn't know what he's talking about. Proof positive that he doesn't really understand his own franchise or what made the Road Warrior a classic film (If he did he wouldn't need to constantly recycle all the good bits from previous films). 

Fury Road was a smash hit worldwide, but I think it was a fluke. I believe if George Miller had succeceded in making Fury Road 15 years ago it wouldn't have been anywhere near as popular. He may not really understand what made the Road Warrior so good, but he had a good feel for the global zeitgeist and what modern audiences want: Minimal drama and dialogue, plenty of action. Most Fury Road fans aren't Mad Max fans as such but action movie fans ("I have never seen the original films, but Fury Road was awesome") I've read countless posts like this. All the Aussie Mad Max fans I've talked to were disappointed with Fury Road for all the aforementioned reasons (Aussies must have better bull**** detectors), and some also felt that Max's character is sidelined in favour of Furiosa. I have not as yet come across an Australian Mad Max fan who loved the movie unreservedly, only ACTION movie fans.

I just hope that in Mad Max: The Wasteland he reins in some of the more over the top excess, devotes a bit more time to exploring the concepts and characters in a little more depth. Show us more of this world, we've seen the desert wasteland in 3 films let's see some new locations. Bring back the more realistic tone of the earlier films. No more dickheads with flamethrowing guitars please George, leave the  unbelievable comic book stuff for Mad Max Comics. Bring back the screenwriter you co - wrote The Road Warrior with and maybe Mad Max: The Wasteland will turn out to be another 4/5 classic. Here's hoping.

After posting this review in other forums, I received nothing but hate and venomous bile in return: "You suck coz you don't like my new favourite movie you jerk" (not that at any stage have I stated that I disliked the film, just that I found it disappointing, there were good things about Fury Road) "You hate Fury Road and you call yourself a Mad Max fan? Try harder moron" (who is the moron? Try harder learning to read properly MORON, where does it state I Hate Fury Road?)  the way these fools react it is like you have insulted them personally and they are offended that you dare to have an opinion that differs from theirs, or perceive that you have insulted their precious film "How dare you criticise this awesome film you self righteous prick" etc. this usually comes from idiots who don't actually read and understand what you're saying, they just skim and take certain points out of context to bash you over the head with, Get. A. Life. Losers. I am not so anal that I can't handle any criticism of the Films, Novels, Music, Art etc that I am passionate about, I welcome debate with those whose opinions differ from my own and am quite happy to admit I am wrong when I am proved wrong. At the end of the day it's only a movie.

Now this is all only my opinion sure, and we're all entitled to them, but if you disagree present rational evidence of why I am wrong and refute the points I have made. If I am wrong and you can prove it I am more than happy to admit it. I don't count presenting positive reviews as evidence. I want valid, well thought out reasons why I am wrong, as all my points are valid and logically derived from the available evidence, just regurgitating other people's opinions and insulting me won't convince me of anything but the fact that you are an idiot.

But I realise that on Scified people are more open to criticism and debate on movies. I disliked Prometheus and posted detailed reasons why, and got many intelligent replies on the pros and cons of the film, none of which resorted to insults and generated some intellectually stimulating debate. So all feedback welcome, whether you agree or not, let me know.

25 Replies

Something Real

MemberLegendNov-22-2015 5:09 PM

JAMIETHEB@$T@RD - That was an exceedingly in-depth look at Mad Max: Fury Road! Excellently done! I have not yet seen the film, but I believe I shall in order to have a first-hand look for myself. Having considered your "It's the 21st Century" statement, I must ask, why does the current frame of time matter? The point of time in which our civilization rests will never hold sway over the human condition. We are just as violent and elemental as we were a thousand years ago. Our technological achievements do not define what it means to be human. Being a woman, I can say with confidence that I greatly enjoy strong female characters. However, I have a stronger liking for strong male characters - they're ****! With that being said, I feel that many of the femenist movemenmts of today are getting rather out of hand - to the point that they are detrimentally alienating themselves. Now, do I believe women have the right to be treated with equality in relation to men? Of course! I like being able to lead a self-reliant existence! However, I do not agree with the intellectually dishonest double standards that some women seem to feel should be set into place. Men and women are two halves of a beautiful whole generated by the universe. We are based on genetics that have been tried and tested over hundreds of millions of years! If we were supposed to be as we are, we would be different. Instead of using our intellects to deride one another, we should be utilizing them to celebrate and appreciate what it means to be female or male - realize that we are valuable for what we are!

This was a very compelling topic! I greatly enjoyed pondering what you have stated! :)

JamietheBastard

MemberNoobNov-23-2015 10:22 AM

Cheers for the insightful feedback Something Real.

I really didn't mean to enter into the ongoing debate on whether or not Fury Road is pushing a feminist agenda (it isn't) I just felt that I needed to address it briefly as part of a comprehensive appraisal.

What I meant about it being the 21st century was, considering how far the human race has progressed, the amazing achievements in: Science and technology, medicine, engineering, art, music and literature. Should we not be evolving away from the more negative aspects of human nature: war, racism, sexism, violence, greed and lust for power, anti humanist religions, intolerance and violence etc. at the same rate as we are progressing forward in the positive ways as previously stated? Yes we most certainly should be but we're not. We are still slaves to our feral, animal natures and unfortunately I do believe we are an evolutionary dead end, we have evolved so far and then just stopped dead. We are on the way out as a species otherwise we would be evolving away from the competitive, aggressive, violent natures that were important traits for survival once upon a time but are irrelevant and are now bringing the race closer and closer to extinction. But we're not evolving and if we don't finish ourselves off first the planet will do it for us!

Funny thing is this is very similar to the underlying theme of the Road Warrior: When a global catastrophe removes all forms of government, law and social control is it possible to remain a human being with dignity and moral values and survive, or must we revert to being savages who pillage, rape and murder.

The Walking Dead  also tackles this theme in season two. Rick is still very much a good man, with strong moral values, whilst Shane's attitude is without law and order, the rules of survival dictate that you must abandon those morals to survive, when it's law of the jungle, you can only look out for yourself and those with you. It's kill or be killed trust no one, he believes that Rick's moral values will get them all killed. He does have a point I suppose. 

This is Max's character arc throughout the first 3 films: Trust no one, only look out for yourself and you'll survive, although he keeps getting roped into helping people, he really doesn't want to. Rightly too, those so called "human beings, with dignity" used the poor bastard deviously for their own ends (it was a good plan and it worked, but Max was nearly killed due to their duplicity, no wonder the poor guy doesn't trust anyone). Eventually he does come to regain some of his humanity and compassion. "A man haunted by the demons of his past, he wandered out into the wasteland and it was in this blighted place he learnt to live again." Poor old Tom Hardy's Max has to go through it all again before he can "learn to live again."

I've gone through the appraisal again to see if I had put anything in there that could have been deemed offensive to people on other forums and justified their insults.

I realise my tendency to not beat around the bush and call 'em as I see 'em could offend some and this is unintentional, I shouldn't describe action movies as brain dead and superhero movies as moronic (I believe they are and I could write a five page essay, detailing the evidence as to why) but it's not my place or intention to criticise people who do enjoy these films, hell it would be a pretty boring world if we all liked exactly the same things, and if people get something out of these films, I'm happy for them (some of my friends and bandmates like superhero movies as well as intelligent, thought provoking Sci Fi films, and we constantly debate the pros and cons of this genre). I have to watch my tendency to call a spade a spade, and I will update the post to remove those few unintentional potentially offensive descriptions.

For the record I loved: Iron Man, Watchmen and Batman Begins, but I consider these films to be Science Fiction, not Superhero Fanatsy. I am most passionate about films that examine where we came from, where we are going, what it means to be human, and why we do all these ****ed up things to each other and the planet. 

But insulting fictional characters, I don't deem to be at all offensive to real people and I'll do it again: That F@&(%#G arsewipe with the Guitar flamethrower in Fury Road sucked BIG TIME and deserved to DIE. Note to George Miller; If you are casting a Post Apocalypse Headbanger Guitarist character, cast a real Heavy Metal guitar player not a bloody pop star!!!!!!! It would lend a bit of authenticity to an unbelievable, fuel wasting, annoying as hell character.

Something Real

MemberLegendNov-23-2015 1:24 PM

JAMIE - I completely understand and respect your views on this matter. Furthermore, you need never concern yourself with potentially offending me via disfavorable remarks aimed at movie charactares. That is the absolute best thing about being two free-thinking, autonomous beings: we can have differing views, but still regard one-another with respect and understanding! I very much respect that your intent was not to go into the mess of femenism with this topic. In all honesty, it was I who stepped over into that rather sticky subject. If my divergence caused you discomfort, you have my apologies; that was in no way my intention. With regards to superhero films: I can certainly agree that many are, hmm, less than engaging with regards to intellectual quality. Additionally, you are very right in your assessment of the fellow with the flaming guitar! After having seen one or two clips featuring that particular gentleman, I have come to the conclusion that his addition was nothing more than visual spectical that ignored the rules set down by the Mad Max mythology. Your tirades against that particular muscician are quite viable - and entertaining!

Once again, this has been a very compelling conversation! Thank you ever so much for beginning this topic! :)

**Al**

Community ExecutiveMemberNoobNov-23-2015 8:58 PM

Hi guys, I didnt read the whole thread yet, I will!, but by now I have something to say, and is.. 

JTB can not deal with iOTA's fabulousness XD

David Shreve, Audiences Everywhere:  Let’s just jump right in. Did you ever dream this is the manner in which you’d become the world’s most famous guitarist?

iOTA: [Laughing] No. Isn’t that bizzarre? I always sort of wanted to be one of the members of KISS really. I’ve always been a big KISS fan. But it’s close. It’s pretty close if not better, right? I grew up with the Mad Max films. Mad Max 2 was the first film that I saw at the drive-in with my dad.  And it became part of my life. And it became part of my imaginings. To actually have been sitting up… well, hanging up in the  the middle of the desert with all of those trucks tearing around me. It was just unbelievable. I was excitedly pinching myself constantly the whole time. I’m so lucky.

The world will spin well past our last breath, but I will always care about you

kommissar

MemberNoobNov-24-2015 4:38 PM

Sorry to be the one putting this down, but this is a subjective, not objective article. 

it's also really off point. 

If you've read so many of Millers interviews as you claim, then you would know that all of the mad max movies are not intended to be connected, they are all heroic stories told by survivors of the wasteland, about this mythic hero known as mad max. 

while it's easy to base them in a time line of events, they aren't intended to be. 

Every movie has "exaggerations" and personal spins put on the story that have evolved and changed as the tale was shared from campfire to camp fire. 

They are all stand alone stories.

Miller also loves to put Easter eggs in his work, it's no coincidence that a bolt cutter is a weapon used in both road warrior and fury road. 

The spiked rusted vw bug in fury road is an homage to an old European movie. 

The fact that the interceptor, his car, was destroyed in road warrior and somehow rebuilt for fury road without explanation only to be destroyed again is an example of the intentional mythos and inaccuracies between movies, they are stories warped by time. 

You clearly have not done the research that you claim to have done, if common knowledge in the mad max fandom is something you are oblivious to.

also your history on the word imperator is wrong, it's a military rank for commander, not emperor. 

~K

JamietheBastard

MemberNoobNov-25-2015 12:57 PM

TO **AI**, Yes I am definitely not an iOTA fan, but I shouldn't lump him in with talentless pop stars like Justin Bieber, Katy Perry, One Direction et al. The guy Is talented, just not my cup of tea. i really didn't like the character though, it was too unbelievable that they had fuel to waste in this manner.

To kommisar 

Well kommisar if you had read the post thoroughly you would have seen that I have directly quoted George Miller "It's not precise chronology, because I never intended there to be". Whether or not George Miller intended these films to be connected or to not follow a strict chronology, They are and do! How could these films not be connected? it's ludicrous, and all the evidence proves that they are in chronological order. Intended or not, they are in order, Mad Max leads to the Road Warrior, Road Warrior leads to Beyond Thunderdome. No other way to configure them. 

It makes no sense that they are all stand alone stories with no connection. Max Rocatansky connects these films. It's like stating that Alien, Aliens, Alien 3 and Alien Resurrection are stand alone films with no connection, that are in no particular chronological order. BOLLOCKS.

These aren't "campfire tales" they are movies, there's no exaggeration involved, we are watching the actual events play out. These so called easter eggs are nothing but self plagiarism, one or two maybe, but he's gone overboard with Fury Road, I will watch the film and catalogue every scene repeated from previous films well over ten I counted on first viewing, that's more than just easter eggs, that is ridiculous. It's like he has written all the cool scenes he can and can't think of anything new, so he just remakes cool scenes and ideas from previous films.

If you accuse someone of not doing their research, you really should do yours and CLEARLY YOU HAVEN'T:

"The spike rusted vw bug in fury road is an homage to an old european movie".  WRONG. It is actually a homage to an old AUSTRALIAN film called "The Cars That Ate Paris" directed by Peter Weir.

You are also wrong about Imperator, It originally was a military rank equivalent to commander but:

"The Latin word Imperator was originally a title roughly equivalent to Commander under the Roman republic. Later it became titulature of the Roman EMPERORS as part of their Cognomen (the third name of a citizen of ancient Rome). The English word EMPEROR derives from IMPERATOR. In Latin the feminine form of Imperator is IMPERATRIX". By rights it should have been Imperatrix Furiosa.

Did you actually watch Fury Road?

"The fact that the Interceptor, his car was destroyed in Road Warrior and somehow rebuilt for fury road without explanation only to be destroyed again? is an example of the intentional mythos and inaccuracies beteween movies, they are stories warped by time"

The Interceptor wasn't destroyed, as he is attempting to escape, the warboys are customising the Interceptor and Max vaults over the car as he tries to escape. Later on the customised Interceptor is part of the war party pursuing Max and Furiosa. "That's mine" says Max on spotting the Interceptor.

There doesn't have to be inaccuracy between the films, it makes more sense to set Fury Road before Road Warrior and then you don't have any inaccuracies to explain.

So kommisar, whether or not George Miller states that he never intended for the movies to be in chronological order, THEY CLEARLY ARE and you have not presented a shred of evidence to convince me otherwise. You really should do your research. When you accuse others of not thoroughly researching the subject, and then making INACCURATE statements, you come across as ignorant.

Cheers for the feedback.   

MonsterZero

MemberConversationalistNov-25-2015 2:42 PM

I consider Mad Max: Fury Road the greatest movie ever made. Period. I've watched 3000+ movies....(don't know if that's enough of a sample size).....But it's the first movie that really astonished me. don't really watch many new movies...I tend to stay in the 1910's thru the 1960's ...Wizard of Oz, It Happed One Night, My Man Godfrey, Nosferatu, Thing To Come, Cabinet of Caligari...movies like that.

I love Mad Max 1/2/3 But they certainly didn't punch me in the face. EVERTHING in MM Road Fury was amazing!

Max 1 5/5

Max 2 5/5

Max 3 4/5

Max 4 100/5

I never thought I would be moved by a movie in the year 2015...Simply amazing.

Don't think I'll watch many more new movies...But I will watch the next Mad Max!

JamietheBastard

MemberNoobNov-26-2015 10:24 AM

Yeah MonsterZero Fury Road has certainly divided opinions: It seems to be 100 percent love it or 100 percent hate it. Whilst it wasn't a bad film as such, for me it doesn't live up to the more realistic, low budget originals, I'm just really not a fan of mega budget Hollywood blockbusters. But we all take something different away from a piece of art/cinema/music/literature and my intention was not to criticise those who love Fury Road just to share my opinions on this film. I was probably a bit harsh on der kommisar but my tolerance is a bit strained after attracting hate filled insults on other forums by rabid Fury Road fans who mercilessly attack any perceived criticism of their precious film and think that Mad Max begins and ends with Fury Road.

I understand what you are saying about modern films, my favourite era of science fiction cinema would have to be the sixties and seventies (and to an extent the eighties). Films from this era addressed important themes: The rape of the environment, Nuclear war, what it means to be human etc, and the rise of the Hollywood Mega Blockbuster dumbed down Sci Fi cinema somewhat, producing awesome visual spectacle without any real substance.

But: don't close yourself off totally to modern films, there are still directors making good Science Fiction films. Here are a few films made this century that are well worth checking out and I would recommend them to anyone who appreciates intelligent Sci Fi:

1. Moon: Directed by Duncan (David Bowie Jr.) Jones. Brilliant acting from Sam Rockwell, this is a low budget film that harks back to the Sci Fi films of the seventies and eighties, (Outland, Silent Running, Alien). 4/5

2. Children of Men: A Dystopian near future thriller. 4/5

3. Cube: A bunch of random strangers wake up in a cube filled with booby trapped rooms and have to figure out how to escape. An intelligent low budget thriller. 4/5

4. Primer: A low budget Time Travel Mind****. This is one you have to watch a few times to wrap your head around the concepts. 4/5

5. Interstellar: A Christopher Nolan film very much influenced by 2001: A Space Oddysey. (Not a perfect film it does have it's flaws, but it is a great ride). 3/5

6. The Road: The Post Apocalypse for real. A bleak, harrowing film with strong emotional themes and a bit of hope at the end. Based on Cormac McCarthy's Pulitzer Prize winning novel. 4/5

7. Triangle: A film that feels like it takes place in The Twilight Zone. A bunch of people go sailing, get wrecked in a storm and board an abandoned 30's ocean liner. They are caught in a repeating time loop. This film doesn't wrap things up in a neat little package, it leaves things open to interpretation and lets you draw your own conclusions. 3/5

8. Pandorum: A colony ship is over run by "Alien" creatures, that are slowly eating the colonists in stasis. The twists in this film are clever and one of them concerns the true nature of the "Aliens", and there is a big twist at the end that I didn't see coming. 3/5

All films produced this century and all well worth watching. 

Cheers for the feedback. (Also thanks for the feedback on my original Alien: Evolution's Nightmare posts. I have finally completed and posted it, if you're still interested 6 months later).

Patient Leech

MemberInitiateJun-23-2016 6:13 PM

I effing loved Fury Road. Until I saw this thread I didn't even realize it was possible to NOT like it... lol. It effing rules. An astonishing achievement until now probably not even known to be possible. Incredible movie with stunts and action amazing enough to match the layered meanings and parallels to our current world.

This by kommissar:

If you've read so many of Millers interviews as you claim, then you would know that all of the mad max movies are not intended to be connected, they are all heroic stories told by survivors of the wasteland, about this mythic hero known as mad max. 

while it's easy to base them in a time line of events, they aren't intended to be. 

Every movie has "exaggerations" and personal spins put on the story that have evolved and changed as the tale was shared from campfire to camp fire.

S.M

MemberConversationalistJun-23-2016 6:52 PM

Kommisar nailed it.

Mad Max 2, Beyond Thunderdome and Fury Road all have hints that the stories aren't meant to be in strictly chronological, but rather are myths told by survivors to each other in Wasteland.

Mad Max 2 is bookended by the narration of the Feral Kid as an old man (who relates events he never witnessed, and likely found out about second hand - or indeed, made up).

Thunderdome features Savannah doing the Tell where Max is mistaken for Captain Walker (ie. if Max and Walker can be confused; Max can also look different in Fury Road depending on different story tellers perspective.  She does another Tell at the end talking about Max again.

Then Fury Road gives us not only a different Max, but he's got the Interceptor back, and has had a number of adventures where he lost people, and the films ends with a quote from The First History man, hinting that this was also another tale and not strictly literal.  If any of the survivors were asked, Furiosa, Toast, The Dag, Cheedo and Capable are all going to have slightly different takes on it.  The re-casting of Max can be seen in the same light as re-using Bruce Spence or Max Fairchild or Hugh Keays Byrne.

Even if you wanted to take it literally, criticisms about 'how did Immortan Joe's society spring up so quickly' don't stand up.  Furiosa said she's been gone for seven thousand days plus the ones she can't remember.  Which is nearly 20 years. 

For my money the chase at the end of Mad Max 2 was the greatest car chase in cinema history.  So a whole film based on that, with shifting tones and moods, then dialled up to 11.  What's not to love?

JamietheBastard

MemberNoobJun-23-2016 9:47 PM

JamietheBastard

MemberNoobJun-23-2016 9:47 PM

Which goes to prove my "effing" point. People don't actually read posts. For a start I never said I didn't like it, my exact words were "Well I didn't totally hate it and I didn't totally love it, it is possible to be ambivalent towards Fury Road. It was OK for a Hollywood Mega Budget blockbuster, but it does have a lot of flaws." It was alright for what it was. I did acknowledge the stuntwork and action sequences were superbly staged and filmed. I am a big fan of both Charlize Theron (she had a much better role in Fury Road than she had in Prometheus) and Tom Hardy and oh eff it here's the effing quote:

"These are the elements of Fury Road I thought were very well done:
1. The stuntwork was phenomenal. Mostly all practical stunts, minimal CGI used for the stunts impossible to perform practically.
2. The Cast: Tom Hardy and Charlize Theron were very good, they managed to communicate a believable relationship with minimal dialogue. It was great to see some good Aussie talent as these films are quintessentially Australian. Hugh Keays Byrne! The Toecutter returns! (I have come across some fan speculation that Immortan Joe IS The Toecutter, but that's impossible, you don't survive a head on collision on a motorbike with an eighteen wheeler at high speed).
4. The cinematography was stunning and George Miller can direct a damn good action sequence."
Obviously you missed that bit when you read the post.

I am not a fan of Mega Budget Hollywood Films or Action films as such. It was tonally inconsistent with the gritty realism of the low budget independent original two films. For what it's worth I thought Fury Road was a better film than Beyond Thunderdome!

As an example, one of the best Science Fiction films of the 21st century was Moon, a low budget film written and directed by Duncan (David Bowie Jr.) Jones. Brilliant acting from Sam Rockwell, emotionally moving (The scene where the dying Sam 1 talks to his daughter on the vidphone gets me a bit teary everytime). Now we get this Mega Budget Blockbuster RIP OFF: Oblivion with Tom effing Cruise, Awesome Special Effects spectacle and Oh Tom Cruise is a clone so effing what! no emotional investment. Awesome Spectacle and Visuals do not automatically make a great film.

But as I've said before each to their own, people do seriously seem to take offence if they perceive you have criticised something they love whether you actually have or not. **** it would be a pretty effing boring world if we all liked exactly the same thing would it not?

Fury Road didn't bring anything new to the franchise, which sequels need to do: as The Road Warrior to the 1st Mad Max, Aliens to Alien (Alien3 rehashed Alien and Alien Resurrection rehashed Aliens, and they were both effing terrible). It was a step back from Thunderdome which was opening the franchise up and starting to show new locations, but I sorta understand why: It was the first Max film in 35 years and George Miller perceived that modern audiences might need a starting point they were familiar with.

Now as to the Kommisar quote. I recently read the Fury Road prequel comic which was co - written by George Miller. The comic's prologue tells the events of the first three Mad Max films IN CHRONOLOGICAL ORDER!!!!!! Mad Max - The Road Warrior - Beyond Thunderdome. Exactly as I stated in my post. George Miller HAS CONTRADICTED HIMSELF. He is getting on a bit now maybe he's a bit senile. The comic did clear up a few things I was confused about in Fury Road eg The Interceptor which was blown to effing bits in the Road Warrior. Max builds himself another one (winning the V8 motor in a Thunderdome battle).

So far from being wrong as you and Der Kommisar point out (and he never replied to my reply to his post answering everyone of his criticisms logically, maybe he felt that he had effing told me what was what and that was it) George Miller has vindicated everything in my post regarding chronological continuity. As well as ripping off his own scenes from Mad Max and The Road Warrior for Beyond Thunderdome and Fury Road, totally unnecessary and one of the things that takes me straight out of these films. Think up some effing new **** George!

So I didn't "not like" Fury Road as you seem to have somehow derived from my post, just thought it was a bit "MEDIOCRE". I've actually been sorta inspired by the Comic Book tone of Fury Road in my fan fiction! So I hope that's cleared up your apparent confusion Mr/Mrs/Ms Leech and sorry to do it but you've left ya self right effing wide open for this one, to quote my original post:

"Now this is all only my opinion sure, and we're all entitled to them, but if you disagree present rational evidence of why I am wrong and refute the points I have made. If I am wrong and you can prove it I am more than happy to admit it. I don't count presenting positive reviews as evidence. I want valid, well thought out reasons why I am wrong, as all my points are valid and logically derived from the available evidence, just regurgitating other people's opinions and insulting me won't convince me of anything but the fact that you are an idiot."

George Miller himself proved me right in the Fury Road prequel comic. I stand by everything in my post. Get Over It.

To SM I never complained about the recasting of Max I thought Miller chose well with Tom Hardy, an actor whose work I admire. The car chase in Road Warrior was phenomenal but it didn't last the whole film, the Road Warrior had the perfect mix of action and drama, the dialogue was great.

Like I stated in my post I thought it was OK but why should I have to love it? Some of the dialogue stunk, the prologue sucked "Why are you hurting those people?" "It's the oil stupid"????? effing terrible (they shoulda used the prologue from the comic in the film, it was much better written). Anyway I am so over this, You loved it, I thought it was average, SO EFFING WHAT? I don't have this need to defend my opinion against my friends who loved Fury Road (Our Vocalist Loved the film) nor they the need to defend their love of it. IT'S JUST A FILM at the end of the day. 

S.M

MemberConversationalistJun-23-2016 10:56 PM

I never said you complained about Tom Hardy.

You seem a little upset.

Patient Leech

MemberInitiateJun-24-2016 7:42 AM

Not sure why this has gotten so heated...

I felt like Fury Road DID have an original story. It felt very fresh to me. I mean aside from the usual bad guy controlling people and needing to be taken down. It was done in a new and exciting way.

George Miller has said that Max is more of a mythical character and these are stories about this mythical character. Now, whether he's covering for his lack of preplanning and allowing for errors in continuity, whatever... it still works. As long as the movies are this good he can say whatever he wants. He's a badass filmmaker. He's also responsible for Babe: Pig in the City and Happy Feet.. lol

JamietheBastard

MemberNoobJun-25-2016 12:42 PM

Well my friend after receiving many abusive messages from intolerant Fury Road fans for daring to voice a different opinion to theirs (on other forums not this one, especially from idiots who were barely aware of the existence of Mad Max before Fury Road), my patience has been severely eroded. Like I said people don't properly read posts, they skim read and take things out of context to bash you over the head with, and unfortunately your reply was in this vein as your comments clearly showed. EG.

"I effing loved Fury Road. Until I saw this thread I didn't even realize it was possible to NOT like it... lol. It effing rules."

Where in my post does it state I didn't like Fury Road?
"It was OK for a Hollywood Mega Budget blockbuster, but it does have a lot of flaws." It was alright for what it was."
Obviously you missed that bit when you read the post.

"An astonishing achievement until now probably not even known to be possible. Incredible movie with stunts and action amazing enough to match the layered meanings and parallels to our current world"

"These are the elements of Fury Road I thought were very well done:
4. The cinematography was stunning and George Miller can direct a damn good action sequence."

"This by kommissar:
Every movie has "exaggerations" and personal spins put on the story that have evolved and changed as the tale was shared from campfire to camp fire."

I countered all these criticisms in my reply to Kommisar, still awaiting response????I guess he doesn't have any comeback, someone who accuses me of not doing my research when they have clearly not done theirs!!!!. (See Reply to Kommisar's post). Yet again I state that everything in my post was vindicated in the prologue to the Fury Road prequel comic, CO - WRITTEN BY GEORGE MILLER.

"Now this is all only my opinion sure, and we're all entitled to them, but if you disagree present rational evidence of why I am wrong and refute the points I have made. If I am wrong and you can prove it I am more than happy to admit it. I don't count presenting positive reviews as evidence. I want valid, well thought out reasons why I am wrong, as all my points are valid and logically derived from the available evidence, just regurgitating other people's opinions and insulting me won't convince me of anything but the fact that you are an idiot."

Now I am not insinuating any insult by you or others on Scified, but you are only repeating points I have already countered, each and every one. you haven't brought anything new to the topic (which I had forgotten about, as it was posted some time ago).

Why are fans so intolerant of any hint of perceived criticism? Even when the post praises the good things about the film. If my post had just been: Fury Road Sucked Big Time, fair enough, but I give praise where praise is due and present valid, logical reasoning to support my opinions and as stated it is only my opinion, we're all entitled to them, why should I be subjected to abuse for voicing my opinions? I don't put down others opinions when I don't agree with them.

Again I state there was no abuse from Scified members, just this intolerance to perceived criticism.

Sometimes I do tend to speak my mind without thinking that my comments may cause offence: Such as my opinions of most Mega Budget Hollywood Action, Sci fi and Superhero films (I think they are moronic, dumbed down **** that places awesome visual spectacle over logical, thought provoking plots, believable characters to empathise with and literate scripts. I am more than happy to debate this opinion and I apologise for unintentionally causing offence to anyone whose opinions differ, I just have a habit of calling 'em as I see 'em, many of my friends and bandmates love these films and we often debate the pros and cons of them).

Why do people get so bent out of shape if you don't agree 100% with their opinions? It doesn't bother me if people criticise or satirise things I am passionate about, my two favourite movies of all time are: The Road Warrior and Alien and I think the movie sins post on Alien is quite funny in places. I definitely got a few chuckles out of it. I think people are taking this way too seriously: They're just taking the piss, take it in the spirit it is intended and have a laugh. 

Yes I was upset, no screw that I was ****ing pissed off as I thought "Here we go again, getting bashed over the head by the same old **** on a subject I have moved on from". I've got more important things to do than rehash this stuff over again, my band is writing and preparing to record our 2nd CD, and I am currently writing fan fiction based on the Alien and Max universes.

All I ask is that people READ POSTS and UNDERDSTAND what I am saying, give me some new points and I will gladly debate on the subject.

I was having a bit of a dig with all the "Effings" Patient Leech, and I hope you and S.M can appreciate my frustration and undedrstand where I am coming from.

Like I have stated if my posts have offended anyone it was not intentional and I apologise unreservedly.

To summarise my original post: Mad Max Fury Road was good for what it was, but for me there were definite flaws (Action Movie Cliches, Bad Dialogue, Action at the expense of character and plot).

Again I feel that with just a little less action and a little more insight into the world and characters this film could have been a true classic like Road Warrior. I didn't feel the need to have everything little thing spelled out in intricate detail as some have suggested, just a little more insight and development than the bare bones we got. I was initially confused as to where the film fitted in to the established continuity and this was only cleared up on reading the Fury Road prequel comic, that is not a good sign for a film franchise I have been a fan of most of my life.

It was probably the Best Action Movie ever made I agreed on that point in my post but you obviously missed that too.

So hope that's cleared things up for you folks. Like I said I have been inspired by the comic book tone of Fury Road (I am a fan of Brendan Mcarthy) in my fan fiction. I have written a short Fury Road prequel script/story and am in the process of writing a Fury Road sequel story. In the spirit of the franchise these don't directly involve the events and characters of Fury Road. I invite you to check them out if interested in fan fiction.
www.fanfiction.net/s/11676879/1/Mad-Max-Gasoline-Alley 

www.fanfiction.net/s/1192921/1/Mad-Max-Into-The-Darklands 

S.M

MemberConversationalistJun-26-2016 8:17 PM

Miller is deliberately vague about timelines.  If Hardy is playing Max at the same age, then he's around 36-37.  Furiosa was captured by Joe from the Vuvalini nearly 20 years earlier, so the downfall/ war/ whatever happened sometime before that.  Max's back tattoo is even more specific citing 12045 days (nearly 33 years since the fall of society).  Does that mean Max was four at the time?

If Miller wants to be vague - it's his baby; let him be vague. Any stories that are a prelude to Fury Road could easily fall into the same 'mythic tale' quality as the films.

I don't really agree with your criticisms of action at the expense of character and plot either.  What more character and plot was required?  We learned about Max, Furiosa, Nux, and Joe largely via the action.  And the plot is 'drive these girls here; then turn around and drive them back'. Did it need to be any more complex?

Gavin

MemberLegendJun-27-2016 4:53 AM

Here's the thing, I agree with JTB about the plot and timeline elements of Fury Road, but at the same time I absolutely loved this movie, or more correctly the aesthetic quality of it. Essentially Fury Road is a remake of the Road Warrior condensed into the chase, but visually it is executed with much better style. 

I would argue that Fury Road is Millers best film visually, but when it comes to narrative and plot that would have to be the original Mad Max, though it could've done with a slight pace increase. Combining the two, now that would be something - Fury Roads visuals with the depth and emotion of Mad Max.

One possibility, though unlikely could be that Mad Max: Wasteland will be a remake of Mad Max, making it and Fury Road a reboot, but told backward's. But like I said unlikely.

Patient Leech

MemberInitiateJun-27-2016 11:41 AM

@JamietheBastard:

"Where in my post does it state I didn't like Fury Road?"

I didn't mean to put words in your mouth, dude, but you rated Fury Road 2/5. And most movies I rate 2/5 I definitely did not like. That is not a good rating. Hence why I assumed you didn't like it.

JamietheBastard

MemberNoobJun-27-2016 12:00 PM

To S.M yes I was initially confused as to where in the timeline Fury Road fitted in, as he was driving the Interceptor I at first thought it was set before Road Warrior as the Interceptor was destroyed in that film, yet George Miller had stated that it was not a reboot but a direct follow on. As I stated in my reply, reading the Fury Road prequel comic cleared this up as we see Max build himself another Interceptor, I thought I had made that clear. And yes George Miller has contradicted himself when he states that the Max films are set in no clear chronoloicgal order. The Fury Road Prequel comic (Co - written By Miller) briefly chronicles the events of the first three movies IN CHRONOLOGICAL ORDER (the Apocalypse takes place after the original Mad Max). That is a stone cold fact and it doesn't make sense otherwise.

Now as to Max's age in Fury Road if we take the original Mad Max as a starting point, Max was a young city cop (Melbourne) although they also patrolled outlying rural areas, before the Nuclear War which occurs between Mad Max and The Road Warrior. Judging by Mel Gibson's age in the first film, I believe he was about 22, if it has been 33 years since the apocalypse at the time of Fury Road Max should be at least 55- 60. If you are a Max fan you should be aware of this. But I can understand Miller using dramatic licence here. Nothing against Tom Hardy who is a fine actor and did well in his portrayal of Max, I still sorta wished we could have had one more film with the old racist bastard Mel as Max. Oh well.

I am not saying the plot needed a lot more complexity, but it would have been great to explore this world a little bit more than he did, would half an hours less action harmed the film? A few new locations other than the desert wasteland which after 3 films is starting to get a bit old, we got a very brief glimpse of the Citadel but that was it. With todays Special effects he could have blown his Nuked Sydney scene from Beyond Thunderdome right out of the water. The Vuvalini, the Buzzards, just a little glimpse into these societies would have been nice. Hey I just want a little more substance to a movie than a 2 hour Car Chase no matter how awesomely it is staged. That's my opinion and nothing you say is gonna change that, it would be a boring world if we all liked exactly the same thing.

To Gavin, did you know that the pacing problems in Mad Max were due to budgetary constraints? They had a lot more action sequences scripted but were unable to film them because they ran out of money.

Fury Road was visually very good but I would have liked a few new locations. Though for me the Road Warrior chase was superior as it was grittily realistic, unfortunately Fury Road descended into Action Movie cliche at times which the first two films managed to avoid. For me The Road Warrior is the stone cold classic of the franchise.

I'm not sure about the next film being a remake of Mad Max though, would the Apocalypse happen in reverse? but to be fair you did say that it was unlikely. One thing I have noticed is that the quality of the films vary due to George Miller's co - writers. I don't think Miller is the greatest writer on his own, my recommendation would be to get the guy he co - wrote Road Warrior with as that is the film responsible for the world wide success of the franchise, without Road Warrior there would be no Fury Road.

Road Warrior was originally titled Mad Max 2 in Australia and had to be retitled Road Warrior for overseas release as Mad Max hadn't done very well on it's initial release outside Australia and foreign audiences wouldn't have known what the hell Mad Max 2 was. The original film was only successful world wide after Road Warrior had been a smash hit.

JamietheBastard

MemberNoobJun-27-2016 12:19 PM

Patient Leech fair enough, maybe it should have been 2.5/5 which I interpret as average. But I did state in the post that I though Fury Road was OK for what it was, and I did praise the parts that I thought were very good (stunts, direction, cinematography, vehicle design, the cast) credit where credit is due. There are Mad Max fans out there that HATED Fury Road with a vengeance (I know a couple of them). The intention of my post was not to deride the film or those who loved it just present a different viewpoint to the "Fury Road is the most awesome film ever made" crowd and generate some stimulating debate, which it has done. Like I said it would be a pretty boring world if we all liked exactly the same things.

No dramas, but I have been misquoted and had comments taken out of context before, as well as copping actual written abuse from Rabid Fury Road fans incensed that I didn't 100% agree with their opinions and this has left me a little impatient and intolerant and I apologise if any of my comments caused offence.

We are all entitled to our opinions.

Necronom 4

MemberRespectedJun-27-2016 12:51 PM

@JamieTheBastard; Why are you being o serious about it? It's just a film man.

There's too much **** going on in the world and life's way too short. Just enjoy it man. ;D

The poster was good though!

S.M

MemberConversationalistJun-27-2016 3:27 PM

I don't think Melbourne is ever directly referenced in Mad Max. They talk about a place called 'Sun City' vaguely. It's not meant to be Melbourne per se if memory serves.

JamietheBastard

MemberNoobJun-27-2016 6:18 PM

No, you are correct, Melbourne isn't referenced in the film, but that's where it was shot so I sorta assumed that's where it was set. The Sun City reference was where the Nightrider broke custody and stole the pursuit special, I don't think it was the city where Max was based, if memory serves he had been travelling for some time before being intercepted by Max and the MFP.

Necronom 4 I know it's only a movie and it's only from being abused (not on this site) by rabid Fury Road fans because I dared to voice an opinion contrary to theirs that my patience and tolerance has been eroded.

I'm over it and I fully agree that there is so much bull**** going on in the world to get upset over trivialities. As stated "My Fury Road post was only intended as airing a different viewpoint to the "Fury Road is the most awesome film ever made" and was only intended to stimulate logical debate, as stated it was only my opinion and I respect that others have differing opinions (some of my friends loved the film, some hated it, I personally thought it was OK but had a lot of flaws. I acknowledged and praised all the good things about it). Hey it would be a pretty goddamn boring world if we all liked exactly the same things.

S.M

MemberConversationalistJun-27-2016 6:35 PM

The funny thing about the chase at the start of the first film is when someone says "Aw Christ they're heading for civilisation!"  That part of Altona barely qualified as civilisation in the 70s, and nothing's changed since.  It's still an industrial park.

Necronom 4

MemberRespectedJun-28-2016 1:47 AM

@Jamie; agreed. We can't help but get a little serious sometimes when it comes to the things we love.

Like England losing to Iceland yesterday in the Euro. I was disappointed, I won't lie, but the hardcore football fans were absolutely distraught. There were grown men crying like babies and the players looked suicidal lol.

I can imagine that's what i'll be like if ALIEN: Covenant turns out to be a steaming pile!

The poster was good though!

Add A Reply
Sign In Required
Sign in using your Scified Account to access this feature!
Email
Password
Latest Images
All Fandoms
Sci-Fi Movies All Fandoms
Alien & Predator Alien & Predator Fandom
Godzilla & Kaiju Godzilla & Kaiju Fandom
Jurassic Park / World Jurassic Park Fandom
Marvel & DC Marvel & DC Fandom
Star Wars Star Wars Fandom
Recently Active Forums
Godzilla x Kong: The New Empire
Godzilla x Kong: The New Empire Discuss the Godzilla vs. Kong sequel here!
Alien: Romulus
Alien: Romulus Discuss the new Fede Alvarez Alien movie here
Jurassic World Fan Artwork
Jurassic World Fan Artwork Share your Jurassic World fan art here
Godzilla Merchandise
Godzilla Merchandise Discuss Godzilla Toys & Literature
Hot Forum Topics
New Forum Topics
Highest Forum Ranks Unlocked
Chris
Chris » Atman
48% To Next Rank
Svanya
Svanya » 2K
87% To Next Rank
Dark Nebula
Dark Nebula » Conversationalist
82% To Next Rank
GodzillaHugeFan2014
GodzillaHugeFan2014 » Noob
52% To Next Rank
Titanosaurus_
Titanosaurus_ » Noob
42% To Next Rank
Latest Activity
Scified Community Stats
Scified hosts a network of online communities containing 404,541 posts by 48,000 members (19 are online now). The Godzilla x Kong: The New Empire Forum is the most recently active forum. The latest Forum topic added was: Did you notice the Battle Damaged Xenomorph?
VIPWhat are VIP?AdminModeratorSpecial TitleMember

Scified is an entertainment website and media network offering scoops and reporting on the most popular, upcoming science fiction movies, games and television. All content is property of Scified.com unless otherwise stated. Images and titles of content we promote, discuss, review or report are property of their respective owners. Scified is independantly owned and operated by a team of dedicated sci-fi movie fans, who strive to provide the best information and community experience for other like-minded sci-fi movie enthusiasts.

© 2024 Scified.com
Sign in
Use your Scified Account to sign in

Transport To Communities
Alien Hosted Community
Cloverfield Hosted Community
Godzilla Hosted Community
Jurassic World Hosted Community
Predator Hosted Community
Aliens vs. Predator Hosted Community
Latest Activity
Forums