Godzilla Movie

Mahiro Maeda to design 2016 Godzilla?

4496 Views44 Replies
Forum Topic

Something Real

MemberGodzillaAug-04-2015 2:32 PM

Hello there.

While browing the web during a little off-time, I stumbled upon this bit of information I thought the majority of you might find compelling. I certainly hope you enjoy this! :)

Gainax Vet Mahiro Maeda to Design New Toho 2016 "Godzilla"?

44 Replies

Jamaal

MemberMothra LarvaeAug-04-2015 4:31 PM

This just keeps getting better and better.

From the article posted:

"Ragone explains

At least, this is the information coming out of our sources connected to the production. If all of this news pans out to be true, we could be in for something not only fresh and original, but also truly scary; which as imposing and impressive the recent Godzilla designs have been, they all lacked the fear that the original invoked. According to one of the people close to the production, who wanted to remain anonymous, “(This new) Godzilla is based on the original (1954 version), but is going to be… frightening.”"

(Emphasis mine)

This, if true, just made my month.

Jamaal

MemberMothra LarvaeAug-04-2015 4:57 PM

That Mahiro Maeda designed the kaiju from the Heisei Gamera Films is enough in itself. 

Then, Takayuki Takeya rumored to be sculpting the maquette.  

Good God, this is fantastic news.

I hope it's all true. I'm looking forward to news of the production of this film in a way I could not adequately describe.

I'm going to go back and reread the article on August's blog, and then pinch myself. Just to make sure. It's that good. I couldn't even finish it the first time. I had to get up and walk around.

Something Real

MemberGodzillaAug-04-2015 4:58 PM

JAMAAL - Indeed! Words can not begin to express how utterly delighted I am for the fact that the new Gozilla design will be (according to the article) based directly upon the original - but made far more terrifying! The information being presented is starting to paint a very excellent picture of what Toho have in store for us! :)

Jamaal

MemberMothra LarvaeAug-04-2015 5:01 PM

@Something Real

Thank you for posting this, this most welcomed news!

G. H. (Gman)

AdminGodzillaAug-04-2015 5:40 PM

Something Real,
Not sure if you overlooked it, but this information about Maeda designing Godzilla was actually in the article we posted that you commented on:

Shooting Starts on Godzilla 2016 Soon! New Design to Update 1954 Original

"'Nostalgic' does not equal 'good,' and 'standards' does not equal 'elitism.'" "Being offended is inevitable. Living offended is your choice."

Something Real

MemberGodzillaAug-04-2015 6:27 PM

GMAN2887 - ....Oh, my gosh! You are right! Ugh! I am so, so sorry for having presented this duplicate information! I am such an oaf! I completely forgot about that topic! Please, forgive my oversight! I will do my best in the future to make more certain of subject duplication! :(

G. H. (Gman)

AdminGodzillaAug-04-2015 6:29 PM

Haha, it's not a big deal. It's still a great conversation to bring to the table regardless. I was just unsure if you had forgotten or simply overlooked it.

"'Nostalgic' does not equal 'good,' and 'standards' does not equal 'elitism.'" "Being offended is inevitable. Living offended is your choice."

G. H. (Gman)

AdminGodzillaAug-04-2015 6:38 PM

"That Mahiro Maeda designed the kaiju from the Heisei Gamera Films is enough in itself."

Those designs always felt mature in both their "cool" factor and their horror elements. There was always a different flavor with the Gamera trilogy kaiju, particularly Legion and Iris. I hope he can bring that to Godzilla.

Jamaal

MemberMothra LarvaeAug-04-2015 7:20 PM

"Those designs always felt mature in both their "cool" factor and their horror elements. There was always a different flavor with the Gamera trilogy kaiju, particularly Legion and Iris. I hope he can bring that to Godzilla."

I have wondered for some time, how a Godzilla design, influenced by, or similar to, the Heisei Gamera designs would look and act. Actually, this started after seeing Gamera: Guardian of the Universe in 1997. I hope that the edginess, if you will, of those great kaiju designs will be realized in the Toho Godzilla film. The Gamera 3: Revenge of Irys design is one of my favorite kaiju designs of any series, period.

The way the news has been reported gives one hope that it is true. This could not be better news: a Godzilla evocative of the horror-filled, thrilling original masterpiece.

With Mahiro Maeda designing Godzilla and Takayuki Takeya sculpting, we could be on the cusp of something great, astounding even. We know it's going to be shocking and visually stunning.

I am really grateful for these developments.

These are great times, thank God.

Something Real

MemberGodzillaAug-04-2015 8:02 PM

GMAN2887 - Thank you so much for your understanding. I can not believe I utterly forgot about that topic! Regardless, you are quite right; it is an extremely compelling bit of information! There is no doubt that Maeda will bring forth a stunning image of Godzilla! I am still mortified by my oversight, the information is on the bloody front page of SCIFIED, for the love of Pete! Ugh! Even so, I shall do better in the future. :)

G. H. (Gman)

AdminGodzillaAug-04-2015 8:08 PM

Regardless, it's a topic deserving of attention. Maeda and Takeya designing Godzilla is huge. Bigger than anyone that was onboard the 2014 film which is what unhinges my jaw so much about this information.

People talk about budgets and immediately think of special effects, but... these guys aren't cheap! They're huge talents.

Something Real

MemberGodzillaAug-04-2015 8:17 PM

GMAN2887 - Indeed! It is astounding that Toho decided to bring them onboard for this project - all the more reason for me to suspect that this is going to be a major undertaking for them. I have a sinking suspicion that Toho are interested in "rebranding" Godzilla as the nightmare beast from the original film rather than continue with the anti-hero angle. If that is so, I absolutely can not wait for each of us to see it! I only hope that it is not too frightening - I would like to be able to sleep after watching it! :)

Huge-Ben

MemberBaragonAug-05-2015 5:14 AM

@Jamaal,

I think it's safe to say that we are getting "that terrifying radiation containing atrocious Godzilla!" I took that quote from Dr. Yamane in Godzilla raids again. :)

If this is all holding true, and I think it is, then the men who made 3 of the greatest kaiju films to date, The Gamera heisei trilogy, are going to handle Godzilla with the proper care and the treatment he deserves. After talking to August Ragone myself, I think he said it better than anyone. "It will be something unique and completely original at the same time." 

My Godzilla hopes are reaching their peak. 

http://hugeben.deviantart.com/  check out my gallery of Godzilla artwork! Follow me on Twitter@thebigbadben90.

GG

ModeratorGiganAug-05-2015 6:15 AM

So I think we can settle on this being a solo film. So an updated version of 1954, what makes me curious about this is if his height will stay the same as the original? Will the eyes be the same? Teeth? So much to wonder about, I guess we will have to wait and see.

Good grief.

Jamaal

MemberMothra LarvaeAug-05-2015 6:26 AM

@Huge-Ben

"My Godzilla hopes are reaching their peak. "

This about says it for me too.

With this latest news added to the fact that Hideaki Anno and Shinji Higuchi are helming Toho Godzilla 2016, well, as a fan, I could not ask for more. (Well, being in Tokyo during the production, at Toho Studios would be nice. Then, of course, there's being in Japan next summer.) 

I'm looking forward to the information flow that comes with lensing the film. Even the mere anticipation of news: details about the story, the actors, design photos, official posters and other publicity-related items make this a great time to be a fan. We know that we're approaching a point in the film's production trajectory where things begin to become clear. I expect the official press conference in the not so distant future.

Dear Toho: please make available as much about this Godzilla. Film everything. An internet feed of the production of a scene, without giving away too much, of course, would be nice. An English version of the Godzilla 2016 website would be an excellent idea. When the official press conference is held, please post it online. Thank you.

Jamaal

MemberMothra LarvaeAug-05-2015 6:30 AM

"As much as possible...."

Sorry. My mind is racing with thoughts about this film.

Sci-Fi King25

MemberGiganAug-05-2015 6:44 AM

AMAZING!!! Thanks for sharing this SR!

“Banana oil.”- George Takei, Gigantis: The Fire Monster

Something Real

MemberGodzillaAug-05-2015 8:49 AM

SCI-FI KING25 - You are most welcome! :)

Huge-Ben

MemberBaragonAug-05-2015 3:06 PM

@Jamaal,

Nice letter to Toho. :)

If you're like me then you should be having the idea that this will be a solo Godzilla film. I mean, to me it makes perfect sense. They told legendary to include other monsters in order for them (Toho)  to make the solo film. Its been 31 years now, 32 counting next year, since the last solo Godzilla film from Toho. We really can't jump to conclusions just yet because they may give us another monster in the film, but, with the news we have now, it's looking doubtful. Then again I've been wrong in the past. If it is indeed a solo film and when they announce it, I think I'll jump out my house through the roof in excitement.

Will it be a remake of 54'? No. After talking to August Ragone, he pretty much told me that "No, it will be something new yet original at the same time. If it's going to be solo, then the titular character should be streamlined." He also told me that at this point it's unclear on exactly what they are going to do.

As the fan I am, I'm dying for that terrifying monster that struck fear in the hearts of millions during 1954. All we can do now though is sit and wait. Which shouldn't be too much longer. Gman2887 and I talked privately on Twitter and we both felt strong that August and September would be when things start picking up.

http://hugeben.deviantart.com/  check out my gallery of Godzilla artwork! Follow me on Twitter@thebigbadben90.

Jamaal

MemberMothra LarvaeAug-05-2015 4:20 PM

@Huge-Ben

"As the fan I am, I'm dying for that terrifying monster that struck fear in the hearts of millions during 1954. All we can do now though is sit and wait. Which shouldn't be too much longer. Gman2887 and I talked privately on Twitter and we both felt strong that August and September would be when things start picking up."

Agreed on all points here. I'm anticipating a characterization similar to what you described above. It would seem, that a solo film would be in the works, given the staements of Anno, Higuchi and the annonymous 'source' at Toho.

It should be an interesting Autumn.

Here's Mahiro Maeda's filmography at Anime News Network:

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/encyclopedia/people.php?id=1652

Huge-Ben

MemberBaragonAug-05-2015 4:31 PM

@Jamaal,

Abc news reported that Shinji Higuchi is doing the combination of Tokusatsu and CGI effects. So, it's going to be what the Gamera trilogy delivered.  

Late Autumn and maybe early winter could be a great possibility of seeing a trailer. 

Huge-Ben

MemberBaragonAug-05-2015 4:43 PM

In other news as well Jamaal, attack on titan ranked number 1 in the box office in Japan. Beating DreamWorks minions. So, if this bit of news helps, Godzilla next year should be something very monumental and just down right awesome. I'm hoping it's very successful and that, if lucky, us Americans can get a release here in select theaters across the U.S.A. 

Imagine Godzilla next year giving us a slap in the face of outstanding special effects, great acting (depending on who the cast is) great story, and leaving us drooling for more eye brow raising, continuous knock out money shots. 

Is it possible we could say hello to the great DaiKaiju of the 50's and 60's again? 

Jamaal

MemberMothra LarvaeAug-05-2015 4:56 PM

@Huge-Ben

"Abc news reported that Shinji Higuchi is doing the combination of Tokusatsu and CGI effects. So, it's going to be what the Gamera trilogy delivered."

This is what I wanted to hear. When you add to this news about the directors, the production design and the sculpter, well, I could not be happier. Tokusatsu and CGI. Yes. Thank you.

I love the Heisei Gamera films. The enjoyment and satisfaction they provide, on so many levels, and with such depth, is incredible. And now, it's Godzilla's turn to get this kind of treatment, attention and care. This is not to discount, in any way, Godzilla, Mothra, King Ghidorah: Giant Monsters All-Out Attack. No, certainly not. But it's a new day at Toho. There's a new regime, fresh and with, as far as one can see, a new energy.   

Huge-Ben

MemberBaragonAug-05-2015 5:07 PM

The Gamera trilogy is just 3 of the greatest DaiKaiju films ever. Yes. It's Godzillas turn! 

What you just added Jamaal about Gmk is only 1 of many reasons to love it. It amazes me just how many missed the boat with what they did with Gmk. Shusuke Kaneko gave us his Godzilla. He has talked to Toho back in the late 60's and early 70's about making his Godzilla film. It didn't happen until 2001. However, it may be highly overrated by some but to me, it's my 7th favorite Godzilla film and is the best of the millennium series.

Now, it's Shinji Higuchis turn to give us his Godzilla and we are in good hands. Him and his team who worked on the Gamera trilogy made 6 of the top suits in history. The nightmare Gamera of Ionas dream was something very unique yet terrifying in its own right. So, Godzilla next year although updated of the 54' original should look very spectacular and most of all intimidating. As if the 54' original wasn't scary enough, then what has Shinji Higuchi got up his sleeve for Godzilla? I truly can not wait.

My hunch is telling me around October will be the month his full design is leaked. 

Huge-Ben

MemberBaragonAug-05-2015 5:13 PM

Another great film is Ultraman the next. So, Shinji Higuchi has the abilities to make Godzilla just great, but I would love for Tsuburaya pro to give a shot as well. If you haven't watched Ultraman the next, you don't know what you're missing. If you have then you know what I'm talking about. For those who haven't, you'll need a change of shorts. Hell, I did. Great film.

Jamaal

MemberMothra LarvaeAug-05-2015 5:19 PM

"Is it possible we could say hello to the great DaiKaiju of the 50's and 60's again?" 

Yes, Huge-Ben: I think we are on the verge of such an era, given the hands the new Godzilla is in. The new about Attack On Titan is excellent! A limited theatrical run for Godzilla would be great. I was able, thank God, to see several Godzilla films at screenings at the Egyptian Theatre in Hollywood in the early 2000's. I cannot begin to describe the atmosphere, the electricity at those screenings. I would love to experience that again with the new Toho Godzilla. And I want that for everyone who posts here (and those who don't, for that matter) and all fans (and fans to be). 

If able, God willing, I would travel (a reasonable distance) to attend a screening. I would love to see the film in Japan during it's theartical run. But, this is an exciting time. I look forward to enjoying it and discussing it with my brother and sister fans here.

Godzilla and tokustasu have been described as being 'niche' genres. If the people making this film are able to bring their considerable talents and gifts to bear, then the 'niche' may just be expanded.  

Jamaal

MemberMothra LarvaeAug-05-2015 6:22 PM

"However, it may be highly overrated by some but to me, it's my 7th favorite Godzilla film and is the best of the millennium series."

For me, GMK is one of the top four films in the Series. One can only wonder what Shusuke Kaneko could have done with a production schedule akin to what he had at Daiei for his Gamera films.

Huge-Ben

MemberBaragonAug-05-2015 6:35 PM

Still waiting for you to join Twitter Jamaal. :)

I don't know about you but, I would love to see Yukijiro Hotaru play a role in this film. Loved him in the Gamera and gmk films.

Jamaal

MemberMothra LarvaeAug-05-2015 7:42 PM

"I don't know about you but, I would love to see Yukijiro Hotaru play a role in this film. Loved him in the Gamera and gmk films."

Me too! He's kind of like family. Yes, it would be good to see him as a kind of tip-of-the-hat to his work in kaiju films of the last twent years or so.  

Jamaal

MemberMothra LarvaeAug-06-2015 3:21 PM

The writer of the article below expressed some sentiments that perhaps many fans have, especially regarding the Toho and Legendary Godzilla films:

http://www.joblo.com/horror-movies/news/tohos-godzilla-2016-will-terrify-with-cutting-edge-effects-222

Anyway, it was nice to read, especially the parts about how Godzilla will be portrayed.

Add A Reply
Sign In Required
Sign in using your Scified Account to access this feature!
Email
Password
Latest Images
Godzilla & Kaiju Godzilla & Kaiju Fandom
Godzilla Movie Forums
Godzilla x Kong: The New Empire
Godzilla x Kong: The New Empire Discuss the Godzilla vs. Kong sequel here!
Godzilla: Minus One
Godzilla: Minus One Discuss the Toho movie, Godzilla: Minus One here!
Godzilla
Godzilla Talk all things Godzilla, Pacific Rim, Gamera & more here
Monarch: Legacy of Monsters
Monarch: Legacy of Monsters Discuss the Monsterverse TV series on Apple TV here!
Godzilla 2014
Godzilla 2014 Discuss the Legendary Godzilla Series
Godzilla Fan Works
Godzilla Fan Works Share Your Godzilla Fan Creations
Godzilla Video Games
Godzilla Video Games Talk and Compare Godzilla Games
Shin-Gojira
Shin-Gojira Discuss Shin-Godzilla here
Godzilla Merchandise
Godzilla Merchandise Discuss Godzilla Toys & Literature
Godzilla 2: King of the Monsters
Godzilla 2: King of the Monsters Discuss the Legendary Godzilla sequel here!
Godzilla vs. Kong (2020)
Godzilla vs. Kong (2020) Discuss the Godzilla vs. Kong Monsterverse movie here!
Hot Forum Topics
New Forum Topics
Highest Forum Ranks Unlocked
G. H. (Gman)
G. H. (Gman) » Godzilla
53% To Next Rank
SasquaDash
SasquaDash » Anguirus
89% To Next Rank
Monsterzero9
Monsterzero9 » Anguirus
77% To Next Rank
Nicozilla
Nicozilla » Baragon
71% To Next Rank
Moldovan0731
Moldovan0731 » Baragon
28% To Next Rank
Latest Godzilla Fandom Activity
Godzilla Forum Teams

Godzilla-Movies.com is an information resource for fans looking to learn more about the upcoming blockbuster Godzilla: King of the Monsters. Providing the latest official and accurate information on Godzilla: King of the Monsters, this website contains links to every set video, viral video, commercial, trailer, poster, movie still and screenshot available. This site is an extension of the Godzilla Fandom on Scified - a central hub for fans of Godzilla looking to stay up-to-date on the latest news. Images used are property of their respective owners. Godzilla: King of the Monsters and its associated names, logos and images are property of and are in no way owned by Scified and its related entities. This is a fan-created website for the purpose of informing and exciting fans for Godzilla: King of the Monsters's release.

© 2024 Scified.com
Sign in
Use your Scified Account to sign in

Transport To Communities
Alien Hosted Community
Cloverfield Hosted Community
Godzilla Hosted Community
Jurassic World Hosted Community
Predator Hosted Community
Aliens vs. Predator Hosted Community
Latest Activity
Forums