Alien Movie Universe

Ridley's Next Film Might Be...

1557 Views9 Replies
Forum Topic

GustavoHR

MemberOvomorphJul-23-2015 1:31 PM

Ridley Scott has signed on to direct an adaptation of Dan Winslow's recent drug traffic thriller The Cartel. Source: http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/ridley-scott-tackle-don-winslows-810560.

The article doesn't explicitly say it will be his next gig, but if it's not the case, then I reckon they would've said something in that regard.

Assuming he will make it, there goes the possibility that Prom 2 might be filmed by the end of the current year... Unless, of course, Scott lets someone else direct it.

No reason to be too worried, though: we all know Scott is an incredibly fast shooter and The Cartel will be no 200-million epic, so it won't take long before he puts it in the can. Remember how quickly he had The Counselor wrapped up?

I can stll see Prom 2 being filmed in the first semester of 2016 for a 2017 release, easily.

9 Replies

123Engineer

MemberFacehuggerJul-24-2015 3:32 AM

I also just read it . Scott has no exact plan what he wants to do next but he once said that he does next what interests him. But also alternately a small film after a big film. I think Prometheus 2 will indeed come out March 2016 and then he could make a film-adaption of The Cartel. I could be that they are already shooting Prometheus 2 or soon...

BigDave

MemberDeaconJul-24-2015 6:59 AM

This movie will need to be re-written in a draft form then shooting script based off any Novel unless its a completely new draft idea based off the real life Mexican Cartels....  it is also not saying if Ridley will just be producing the movie..

Lets look at other projects he could be connected with...

Alien 5... as Producer: this movie is rumoured to now be in Production but again we have little news on the subject and even if Blomkamps ideas have been made into a Final Draft, he would have had some draft work done of which some had been changed after a meeting with Ridley.

This movie is reported to have a full green light and 2016 release date, but we have had no news as of yet as far as Shooting Dates etc.

Bladerunner 2.... as Producer: This movie has had a draft done, we dont know if its a final draft yet but Ridley has ideas of how this movie will look and Harrison Ford is all but signed on to be a part of it.  We have no set release date or information apart from a while back it was rumoured for a 2016 release but nothing offical has been mentioned.

Both movies he will play a part in but not full on Director role... we can safely assume Alien 5 will begin work early next year at latest but we have no dates for Bladerunner 2 but i would think it would surely be worked on in 2017 latest.

Prometheus 2... as Producer and Director?  If Ridley is not going to bae active more on the above two movies i would find it strange that he does not play a more direct role in Prometheus 2....  Ridley and Fox have had the broad idea of where they want to take and where they could take the Franchise after Prometheus as far back as Post Production on Prometheus.  This evolved more to knowing more or less what the sequel would be based on, which in part since 2013 Ridley has let us know what that is... They have had two writters doing a draft which 15 have been done before Final One completed by end of October 2014.

Ridley remains quiet to a degree on future movies, but has let some information lose on Prometheus 2 and i dont think he would do such a thing if this movie is a long long way off... once The Martian is out i am sure he would speak more about the 3 movies above as he wont  want to do so while he is waiting for and during the release of his next Sci Fi movie The Martian so as to not take the Lime Light off it.

So it would seem all 3 of the above have had work done as far as pre production ideas and Plots compared to this Mexican Drug Cartel movie he has now been linked with.

So its by no means .. means that Prometheus 2 is on back burner...

R.I.P Sox  01/01/2006 - 11/10/2017

BigDave

MemberDeaconJul-24-2015 7:09 AM

I have said in other posts recently that a March 2016 release for Prometheus seems very optimistic.....  But its not impossible...   certainly provided if the movie is to only feature...

1) Shaw and David, the Juggernaught on its way to Paradise.

2) A World they arive at that is not thriving i.e same state as LV 223 or LV 426

3) The appearence of our Engineers from Prometheus.....

4) The meeting of another Race who are either small in number and/or similar in appearence (i.e like say Predators and Xenos are).

5) We see a new Monster and maybe few other related Organisms.

Then yes the movie could be in pre-production on such things and such things would not take long to shoot....

Prometheus would not have taken long if all shots was on LV 223, on the Juggernaught and on a Earth ship that only had handful of crew like in Alien....  Then Prometheus would have taken  far less time to make..

But even so, a March release would be unlikely unless Pre-Production work is underway as far as creature designs, props and CGI work leaving Shooting to comence after November.  if this is the case and the movie has a limited set of locations and cast etc as the above 5 points.. then maybe... but even so i would still say a Summer 2016 would be more likely.

But we do not know 100% for sure if and when shooting will start or how much pre-production work has been done and indeed how the plot will go as far as how many Humans or Human like beings and races the movie features....   because as for Engineers only a few actors are needed to play the role of any number of Engineers.. and if the race they descover are all similar in appearence or indeed only few in number then time needed to shoot and production time would be small.... but we do not know what plans Ridley had and he could just as easy lead us to a new Franchise spin off based on other races connected and created by the Engineers and their creators in which number of potential Alien Races could be as varied a Star Trek or Star Wards Universe... we just dont know.

GustavoHR

MemberOvomorphJul-24-2015 8:03 AM

The article does state Scott will direct it.

Scott will direct the movie and produce with his Scott Free Films president Michael Schaefer. Shane Salerno will write the script and also produce via his shingle, Story Factory.

cuponator3000

MemberChestbursterJul-24-2015 1:40 PM

Its a wonder when Prometheus will ever be made! Haha oh man I remember after first seeing it and hoping some people here were wrong when they predicted it coming out in 2016, 17, or 18. 

Sir Scott is a busy man, so it makes sense that this has been on the backburner for a while. I am not too worried who actually directs at the moment (since Scott keeps takng on other movies, I am becoming worried that Prometheus 2 may be directed by another. That is only if fox really want it out though an that doesn't seem to be the case, so my worrying may be unnecessary, but stil...), but when it will be made!

Sorry if this post is a bit confusing, I just have a lot of thoughts flying around in my head haha

Not a map, an invitation

Membrane

MemberFacehuggerJul-24-2015 2:04 PM

Like BigDave said, I think 'The Cartel' still has plenty of work to do before ANY pre-production would be done on it.  Acquiring rights to a story doesn't always mean the film will even get made - case in point, 'The Forever War'.  Ridley Scott acquired the rights to it and if my memory serves correct, he recently lost them.

Anyway, if Scott does decide to skip 'Prometheus 2' to do this cartel movie, I will send him a letter and call him a big dumbie. :-)

GustavoHR

MemberOvomorphJul-24-2015 2:31 PM

The thing is, the property is quite hot right now, thanks to the book having been released last month and especially in the wake of the incredible new escape of the infamous drug lord whose first prison breakout inspired a passage from a previous book of the same author. Leonardo DiCaprio is already being sought after for a starring role.

This film will get made - but none of the articles guarantee it will be Scott's next. It looks like the screenplay has not been written yet - unlike Prom 2's.

Thinking about it, I figure there is a rather strong possibility The Cartel will be made after Prom 2, unless, of course, Scott doesn't feel like sitting in the director's chair for the continuation of Shaw and David's saga.

Batchpool

MemberFacehuggerJul-24-2015 7:59 PM

I think Ridley will be juggling different balls simultaneously. He’s done it already by having The Martian ready to go and also releasing Child 44. Ridley is a master of managing personal effectiveness so I don’t really need to see any reason to press any panic buttons and not expect P2 to be delivered on time.

BigDave

MemberDeaconJul-27-2015 9:42 AM

I think the problem we have is a combination of inpatience, anticipation and not fully getting what we wanted out of the first movie.

Especially for the Alien and Ridley fanboys rather than general Sci Fi fans....  we had been waiting over 30 years for someone to finally answer some of those questions from Alien that was never answered in the franchise....  

Who was the Space Jockey, his Race, there Purpose, History and Agenda?

Where did the Xeno Organism and Eggs come from?

Why was the Space Jockey carrying that Cargo and his intentions?

What we got was some answers, such as more on who the Space Jockey Race could be and the purpose of those Derelict Ships, but in a way that left us with something very interesting and wanting to know more.. aswell as giving us more Questions and not a complete Answer as far as the Space Jockey...    And as far as the Xeno, we see some clues that makes some connection, but these clues open the door for yet more questions.

And then we have to look at how the Movie Ended. of all the movies in the Franchise none had a open ending that led to a sequel more than Prometheus and Ridley even said the aim was to have it lend to a sequel or two......  so right from the bat we had Ridley dropping hints that the movie will have at least one sequel and that they kinda know where they wanted to take this..... ever since the first movie came out...  Then we have the endings...

We see David and Shaw survive and they are off to find the place these Engineers come back for Answers.... surely we cant not have that explored..

Then we see that LV 223 had indeed been a place that these Engineers had set up as a outpost... and there could be more than just one Temple and there for certain is more Engineer Ships (As David confirmed) we are left with Hammerpedes on the lose, we are shown at the end a Chest Buster event that leads to a Hybrid Organism that is not on the lose....

The company may want to know what happened.... If they managed to pick up the LV 426 signal especially prior to Prometheus, then surely prior to Alien they would detect Shaws SOS.... and surely the Company cant pass by going to investigate... and we have to ask why go through all the hassle in the franchise to optain the Xeno when LV 223 has many more Treasures...

So yes these leave us with David and Shaw who can lead us to get our answers more about who the Space Jockey (Engineers) are and their Agenda, maybe connection with the Goo and Xeno.. so this journey could give us the answers we wanted from Prometheus and also answer questions left by Prometheus.

While we have LV 223 that has a connection to LV 426 that has Engineer Tech, Engineer Bio Weapon experiements and a few of these on the loose, that could if explored give us some clues to the Engineers and more so Xeno connection.

so we are left wanting to get these answers more and more, and its the anticipation for finally getting these answers that right from after Prometheus came out, Ridley had sugested we could get in sequels.....

The movie therefore had a sequel in mind from the release of Prometheus, and Ridley has over the years said more and more about this subject and even as far back as 2013 he told us the broad idea of where this movie will take us..

so we are all like "ok so there is going to be  a number 2, number 2 should answer some of the questions from number 1, and you know roughly what and where you want to take part 2 as of 2012... and confirmed draft is done as of November 2014..... so hurry up and make the movie alread!!!!!"

This is what we are like lol...

But rest assured the movie WILL HAPPEN When?  Who knows...

March 2016? sorry i cant see that at all, i would be very shocked if it did.

Summer 2016? more chance but still a push unless the movie has little cast and locations.

Fall 2016? This could be more likely, but again we cant be sure....

Spring-Summer 2017? I would think is most plausible but again nothing is offical.

We just dont know, Ridleys Schedule is not to busy after Summer, Fasbenders after November and Rappace too so certainly 2016 looks like a year where there is space in all their schedules to work on the movie.... but thats not to say it would happen.

I think they would for sure want to be working on it by 2017....  we need to look at some factors...

Ridley is 77 years old, the Alien Franchise has been one of the most important movies he started and one he was not 100% happy with how it became... Prometheus and potential sequels are his ticket to go and Fix and answer some of the Questions in a way that suits him.... This movie Franchise and Bladerunner  are important to him, the fact that Blomkamp had to make changes to his Alien 5 story that is going into production for a 2016 release date, shows that Ridley is planning to put his Stamp on the Franchise, he is even having a Production Role within Alien 5 and he has said he would be Producing Bladerunner 2 but not said he is directing it..... will he make it 3 in a row by not Directing Prometheus 2?

I would say he would for certain want to work heavily on this movie, but at the Age of 77 with ill health that can spring at any moment at that age, i am sure Ridley would not want to postpone working hands on heavy with the movie for like 3 years or more... i would ASSUME he would want to work on it within 2 years from now.

Rapace is 35 if they dont shoot the movie within 3 years she would be 7+ years older than she was when they shot Prometheus and when you hit mid 30s its when signs of Age can kick in fast.. depends person to person, but they could put any Age difference down to how long she has been in Cryo Sleep and even touch up here and there can make someone look younger.

Fassbender is 38 and again if they dont start work on Prometheus 2 until 7 years after the first movie then we would see signs of Age, but again Fassbender Ages well, but he was a Android and they dont Age at all.... any differences again could be put down to damage caused from being disconnected from his head and body..

But because of these 3 points above, i think Prometheus 2 if it has to happen and they have a Final Draft that includes Rapace and Fasbender they surely can not put the movie off for what 5 years, 10 years... nope it would be very Safe to Assume they would want shooting of scenes with David and Shaw to be done over the next 1-2 years and 3 years tops....

So i would thus put a Prometheus 2 release date at between Summer 2016 earliest untill Mid 2019 the latest......

But yep thats not going to do for us who are waiting to find out our answers and see where this Franchise takes us.... but bare in mind the Alien Franchise has a gap of between 5-7 years between each movie....  so would a 2017 wait really be long? or even 2018?  it would be about average for the Franchise if we saw the movie out in 2018 which i am certain it would be... i think we only have a maximum of 3 years more wait to see our Prometheus 2 but at least 12 months.... so yep... i would stick my neck out and suggest a 2017 as the realistic date..

Oh sorry if this is off Topic.....

As far as on Topic..... it would seem Ridley would work on this Cartel movie most likely next year i would say and yes Ridley can produce and release about 3 movies a year easy...

Add A Reply
Sign In Required
Sign in using your Scified Account to access this feature!
Email
Password
Latest Images
Alien & Predator Alien & Predator Fandom
Alien Movie Universe Forums
Alien: Romulus
Alien: Romulus Discuss the new Fede Alvarez Alien movie here
Alien
Alien Discuss all things Alien here
Alien: Covenant
Alien: Covenant Discuss the Prometheus Sequel, Alien: Covenant
Alien FX TV Series
Alien FX TV Series Discuss the Alien FX TV series here!
Alien Games
Alien Games Discuss Alien games here
Alien 5 Movie
Alien 5 Movie Discuss Neill Blomkamps’s vision for Alien 5 here
Alien Movies
Alien Movies Discuss the Classic Alien Films
Prometheus
Prometheus Everything About Prometheus
Prometheus Fan Art
Prometheus Fan Art Artwork & Fiction From the Fans
Hot Forum Topics
New Forum Topics
Highest Forum Ranks Unlocked
Xenotaris
Xenotaris » Praetorian
86% To Next Rank
ninXeno426
ninXeno426 » Praetorian
62% To Next Rank
Thoughts_Dreams
Thoughts_Dreams » Neomorph
85% To Next Rank
MonsterZero
MonsterZero » Xenomorph
91% To Next Rank
Neomorph
Neomorph » Chestburster
76% To Next Rank
Latest Alien Fandom Activity

Alien: Covenant is a sequel to 2012's Prometheus as well as a prequel to 1979's ALIEN. Alien fans looking to know more about Alien: Covenant should check back often. Alien-Covenant.com is an information resource for film enthusiasts looking to learn more about the upcoming blockbuster Alien: Covenant. Providing the latest official and accurate information on Alien: Covenant, this website contains links to every set video, viral video, commercial, trailer, poster, movie still and screenshot available. This site is an extension of the Alien & Predator Fandom on Scified - a central hub for fans of Alien and Prometheus looking to stay up-to-date on the latest news. Images used are property of their respective owners. Alien: Covenant, Prometheus and its associated names, logos and images are property of 20th Century Fox and are in no way owned by Scified and its related entities. This is a fan-created website for the purpose of informing and exciting fans for Alien: Covenant's release. If you have any questions about this site, its content or the Scified Network in general, feel free to contact Scified directly.

© 2024 Scified.com
Sign in
Use your Scified Account to sign in

Transport To Communities
Alien Hosted Community
Cloverfield Hosted Community
Godzilla Hosted Community
Jurassic World Hosted Community
Predator Hosted Community
Aliens vs. Predator Hosted Community
Latest Activity
Forums