Godzilla Movie

First Review of Live Action Attack on Titan and What it Could Mean for Godzilla 2016

2563 Views30 Replies
Forum Topic

G. H. (Gman)

AdminGodzillaJul-15-2015 5:53 PM

With the Attack on Titan live action movie zeroing in on its release, reviews are starting to spill. The first one is quite positive. Here's it is:

Attack on Titan: Part I (Live Action Movie)

For those who don't want to plow through the full review here's some excerpts relevant to the conversation:

"True to its roots, TOHO has re-imagined Attack on Titan as a kaiju film, with actors in makeup portraying the Titans rather than full CG, but in the process, this movie has also expanded on what kaiju films can be. The aesthetic here is not Godzilla, but Silent Hill, as human actors are blended with a hybrid of makeup and CG to create perfect uncanny night terrors. Against all odds, this movie is even gorier than the original comics and it somehow forces you to take the Titans very seriously. Unlike the more PG-13 anime, it is in no way comical when the Titans' repulsive mouths consume screaming actors in excruciating closeup. Blood and viscera rain down on panicked crowds as they claw over each other in packed alleyways and crush each other up against barred doors."

"All the movie's so-called limitations manage to blossom into a cohesive nightmare world thanks to the expert technique and direction of Shinji Higuchi, who is not only a kaiju effects veteran, but also knows a thing or two about the psychology of fear as evidenced by his extensive work on Evangelion. Instead of being campy fun, it's tone-perfect terrifying."

-----

The idea that Higuchi has pushed what a kaiju film can be with this movie is certainly inspiring considering he's declared Godzilla 2016 will be the greatest nightmare we've seen. It sounds like he's already accomplished a nightmare with this movie.

The fear aspect the review mentions is also interesting, especially in the way it ties the psychology with Evangelion. With Anno in charge of the script and directing Godzilla 2016, I can only imagined this will be amplified. Hopefully not into the level of ambiguity seen in the Evangelion series, but then we've never really seen that in Godzilla, so it might be worth a try. Regardless, if this review of Attack on Titan is anything to go on Godzilla '16 might just be a movie unlike any other. Not necessarily like 1954, but something terrifying and truly unique.

I'm not sure what kind of movie we're going to be getting, but good or bad, I'm betting it will be unlike anything we've seen in the last six decades.

"'Nostalgic' does not equal 'good,' and 'standards' does not equal 'elitism.'" "Being offended is inevitable. Living offended is your choice."
30 Replies

dinoboy22

MemberMothra LarvaeJul-15-2015 6:00 PM

there are no words to descibe how happy i am right now. this will be the godzilla ive always wanted

High FLYERS Tag Team

MemberMothra LarvaeJul-15-2015 6:02 PM

Interestin, I was wondering about the AOT film. But i feel 2016 will be good, but is it a bad idea for a horror movie Godzilla, personally, unless it is a horror like 1954 about the bomb I'll only give it a chance Bc it's Godzilla! Honestly Godzilla isn't much of a "Horror" character and is more a freaky walking message! Just stating my opinio, I know that's a dangerous thing to do

There are strong men and weak men. The strong ones are here to keep the weak ones up when ever they fail.

Huge-Ben

MemberBaragonJul-15-2015 6:13 PM

When I read this on Twitter, I got even more high hopes for Godzilla next year. Can't wait to see what this team brings to the table! 

http://hugeben.deviantart.com/  check out my gallery of Godzilla artwork! Follow me on Twitter@thebigbadben90.

Something Real

MemberGodzillaJul-15-2015 6:37 PM

GMAN2887 - This is exceptionally fantastic news! I am now even more excited for Toho's new Godzilla film! I am very curious if Mr. Higuchi will utilize some of the more dreadful aspects he seems to be employing when he brings Godzilla back to the screen? Hmm...this is most compelling! Thank you so much for sharing this news! :)

awsomeJaijufan

MemberMothra LarvaeJul-15-2015 6:55 PM

lets hope its not g16 still holds true to the originals and can be viewed by most audiencess and not just adults

G. H. (Gman)

AdminGodzillaJul-16-2015 12:12 AM

I wonder how much restriction Toho will put on Anno and Higuchi regarding the film. Attack on Titan is one thing, but Godzilla is another. Not too concerned about it right now either way though.

As for those complaining about the horror aspect being too different-- The Godzilla series has proven it can take on multiple tones, ideas and genres for 60 years. Is exploring a new tonal shift that finally gets away from the static Heisei/Millennium/Legendary anti-hero-monster-in-a-sci-fi-actioner really a bad thing?

Not that I think Godzilla should ever be an R-rated blood bath, but there's nothing wrong with a little horror introduced. I find it funny... so many people wanted the Legendary film to be R rated. Now that it wasn't and Toho is mentioning making a darker movie people are concerned it won't be friendly for a wider audience? Interesting.

"'Nostalgic' does not equal 'good,' and 'standards' does not equal 'elitism.'" "Being offended is inevitable. Living offended is your choice."

Durp004

MemberBaragonJul-16-2015 4:59 AM

Well at least we know the effects will be amazing and it will be dark. Seems like they had the freedom to do what they want basically going against everything in the manga or anime. I don't know how a hardcore fan of those works would take this movie though

GG

ModeratorGiganJul-16-2015 9:08 AM

The worst idea is for Toho too put restriction of Higuchi, if they let him flow with full control..Well they're is no telling what this film could be.

Good grief.

G. H. (Gman)

AdminGodzillaJul-16-2015 9:18 AM

There will always be some form of restriction regarding Godzilla. All outside directors/companies have had it-- Kaneko, Kitamura, Edwards/Legendary... Even Emmerich/Sony had restrictions they just found loopholes.

Something Real

MemberGodzillaJul-16-2015 1:22 PM

GMAN2887 - I am willing to wager that Higuchi's limitations will come in the form of how Godzilla behaves and how he appears. I am uncertain if Toho will tug too harshly upon the reins with regards to the full thematic elements Higuchi plans to incorporate; I have a feeling they are very interested in exploring a new avenue for their monster! Perhaps they have little qualm with giving their new director as much space as he requires to bring a truly unique and striking vision to the screen? Time will certainly tell! However, in the interim, I will keep my fingers crossed and try not to bounce too much! :)

G. H. (Gman)

AdminGodzillaJul-16-2015 7:07 PM

Honestly, I think it'll have to do with how wide of an audience it can reach. Godzilla will never, ever be R-rated material and nor should it be. Kids should enjoy Godzilla as well, for all time.

I remember Toho was the ones who told Kitamura the "F-bomb" couldn't be dropped in a Godzilla movie, thus the entire New York City scene in Final Wars had to be looped with new dialogue.

And I'm not sure how violent Attack on Titan really is, but if it dives into a bloodbath unsuitable for children I doubt we'll see that either. Instead what I foresee is something that pushes these horror elements to the edge-- Just enough to keep it appropriate for kids.

Something Real

MemberGodzillaJul-16-2015 7:42 PM

GMAN2887 - Agreed. :)

dalek8

MemberMothra LarvaeJul-16-2015 8:03 PM

I am perfectly fine with this direction. The more serious Godzilla movies tend to be my favorites (I do still enjoy the cornier ones though :)). It'd be cool if it were similar in tone to G85/Return of Godzilla (although I think they want to go darker). I'm going to go out on a limb here and predict that it might be a solo Godzilla film. I think that for the tone that is trying to be set it would work best as a solo outing. It would be amazing to see if they could pull off a mature tone with multiple monsters successfully. I feel G14 got kind of close but fell short. He seemed just a bit too much like a superhero. I know it is a bit off topic but those were just some thoughts :)

Triple X

MemberMothra LarvaeJul-17-2015 5:57 AM

Something Real

MemberGodzillaJul-17-2015 2:26 PM

DESTOROYAHX - That is fantastic! Thank you for bringing this to our attention! :)

Jamaal

MemberMothra LarvaeJul-17-2015 9:26 PM

"The worst idea is for Toho too put restriction of Higuchi, if they let him flow with full control..Well they're is no telling what this film could be."

@GorillaGodzilla:

This is, I believe, the key to Toho Godzilla 2016 being that remarkable, heretofore unseen Godzilla film we've wnated. Let the artists bring the full range of their talents and inspiration to bear. I mean, why hire them if you're going to keep them in a box.

Toho: you know what these men, these sons of tokusatsu can do.

Let then do it.

Jamaal

MemberMothra LarvaeJul-17-2015 9:36 PM

While I'm, in principle at least, in agreement with the concept of judicious oversight of the studio's most important character and property, at the same time, I don't want to see film production by committee. I realize their are guidlines. Just make the boundaries wide enough to allow for an innovative, striking film, with a story whose images we cannot forget. 

**Al**

Community ExecutiveMemberMothra LarvaeJul-18-2015 12:37 PM

The world will spin well past our last breath, but I will always care about you

Saitama

MemberMothra LarvaeJul-19-2015 9:26 AM

I Really hope they put some restriction on him basing on evangelion,Godzilla can be as dark as it wants to but should still be something everyone can watch,I mean gojira was very dark but everyone could still watch it.

I don't know what to put here 

KoldWarKid62

MemberBaragonJul-20-2015 8:01 AM

Looks good and sufficiently creepy!

I would love to see these filmmakers put these same sensibilities into a remake of "War of the Gargantuas." That's a movie that I'd love to see.

The original is quite simply, one of the best kaiju movies ever made, IMO, and behind Gojira, and Mothra Vs Godzilla (64), would be my third favorite kaiju/tokusatsu movie ever.

G. H. (Gman)

AdminGodzillaJul-20-2015 1:22 PM

^And I'll fight to the death that Frankenstein Conquers the World is better. ;)

Huge-Ben

MemberBaragonJul-20-2015 2:45 PM

I'm just hoping for the best for this new Toho Godzilla film.

http://hugeben.deviantart.com/  check out my gallery of Godzilla artwork! Follow me on Twitter@thebigbadben90.

KoldWarKid62

MemberBaragonJul-20-2015 3:19 PM

@GMan2887 - Umm, OK. It's still my third fave. I like FCTW quite a bit, and although War is basically the same story, I'd take it any day of the week. There was just always something about the green Gargantua; that opening scene, him reaching up from under that fishing boat, the airport. On and on. Totally creeped me out. In fact one of only probably three Japanese monster movies that scared me as a kid. The other two being Matango (Attack of the Mushroom People) and The Manster, neither of which featured giant monsters.

Jamaal

MemberMothra LarvaeJul-20-2015 6:29 PM

The review posted for Attack On Titanwas just what I wanted to hear. It gives hope of a new direction for the series, while being true to its tokusatsu roots. With new people helming the Godzilla series, I anticipate a higher level of creativity and artisitic expression. I believe we'll see a 'Godzilla film,' but in a way, perhaps, not seen before.

I also believe that Anno and Higuchi have the good sense to not attempt something with Godzilla that just wouldn't fit, so to speak.

I'd be interested in other reviews for AOT.

KoldWarKid62

MemberBaragonJul-20-2015 6:43 PM

I really like what they've done stylistically and cinematography-wise here. It also puts you in the middle of such an attack, which is important on an emotional and visceral level. I'm very excited by what they will bring to Godzilla. It may not appeal to everyone, but I think it will be fresh and creative. Looking forward to it!

wolfguy

MemberMothra LarvaeJul-22-2015 5:34 PM

With these sort of effects, a new War of the Gargantuas would be a fantastic idea. Hell, Quentin Tarrantino would probably fund that project alone and distribute it in America.

Triple X

MemberMothra LarvaeAug-16-2015 4:09 PM

WARNING: MINOR SPOILERS

Good Lord, this movie is completely and utterly insane. It starts off really nice and slow, but the moment the titans arrive, all hell breaks loose. People dying like flies and main characters getting mutilated. At some point the movie jumps 2 years forward, and it ends with an cliffhanger. There is a trailer for Attack on Titan 2 - End of the World at the end of the movie, just minutes into the outro. As far as i know, it's going to be a trilogy. They show parts of AoT2 in the Last AoT1 Trailer. The CGI is part amazing part mediocre, but the movie is so entertaining that it doesn't bother at all. I give it 9/10!

Huge-Ben

MemberBaragonAug-16-2015 4:16 PM

And that right there is what I needed to hear. Even though there is some flaws, you give it a 9/10 score. That should be great hopes for Godzilla next year. I haven't seen attack on titan just yet but I'm going to. 

G. H. (Gman)

AdminGodzillaAug-16-2015 4:29 PM

DestroyahX,
You remind me that I need to add these movies to the database. I'll get them up soon. 
Although I refuse to watch the leak, especially with the theatrical release in the U.S. so close.

Triple X

MemberMothra LarvaeAug-17-2015 11:04 AM

@GMAN2887 - Nah, not everyone on this forum is an US citizen!!! They are going to release part 2 in 3 weeks in JP, and i hope that they manage it to bring you guys the TV show, because it shows a lot of amazing new stuff.

Add A Reply
Sign In Required
Sign in using your Scified Account to access this feature!
Email
Password
Latest Images
Godzilla & Kaiju Godzilla & Kaiju Fandom
Godzilla Movie Forums
Godzilla Fan Works
Godzilla Fan Works Share Your Godzilla Fan Creations
Monarch: Legacy of Monsters
Monarch: Legacy of Monsters Discuss the Monsterverse TV series on Apple TV here!
Godzilla x Kong: The New Empire
Godzilla x Kong: The New Empire Discuss the Godzilla vs. Kong sequel here!
Godzilla Merchandise
Godzilla Merchandise Discuss Godzilla Toys & Literature
Godzilla: Minus One
Godzilla: Minus One Discuss the Toho movie, Godzilla: Minus One here!
Godzilla
Godzilla Talk all things Godzilla, Pacific Rim, Gamera & more here
Godzilla 2014
Godzilla 2014 Discuss the Legendary Godzilla Series
Godzilla Video Games
Godzilla Video Games Talk and Compare Godzilla Games
Shin-Gojira
Shin-Gojira Discuss Shin-Godzilla here
Godzilla 2: King of the Monsters
Godzilla 2: King of the Monsters Discuss the Legendary Godzilla sequel here!
Godzilla vs. Kong (2020)
Godzilla vs. Kong (2020) Discuss the Godzilla vs. Kong Monsterverse movie here!
Hot Forum Topics
New Forum Topics
Highest Forum Ranks Unlocked
G. H. (Gman)
G. H. (Gman) » Godzilla
53% To Next Rank
Xenotaris
Xenotaris » Gigan
87% To Next Rank
Cool Godzilla
Cool Godzilla » Gigan
42% To Next Rank
Gojirafan2013
Gojirafan2013 » Baragon
67% To Next Rank
KoldWarKid62
KoldWarKid62 » Baragon
43% To Next Rank
Latest Godzilla Fandom Activity
Godzilla Forum Teams

Godzilla-Movies.com is an information resource for fans looking to learn more about the upcoming blockbuster Godzilla: King of the Monsters. Providing the latest official and accurate information on Godzilla: King of the Monsters, this website contains links to every set video, viral video, commercial, trailer, poster, movie still and screenshot available. This site is an extension of the Godzilla Fandom on Scified - a central hub for fans of Godzilla looking to stay up-to-date on the latest news. Images used are property of their respective owners. Godzilla: King of the Monsters and its associated names, logos and images are property of and are in no way owned by Scified and its related entities. This is a fan-created website for the purpose of informing and exciting fans for Godzilla: King of the Monsters's release.

© 2024 Scified.com
Sign in
Use your Scified Account to sign in

Transport To Communities
Alien Hosted Community
Cloverfield Hosted Community
Godzilla Hosted Community
Jurassic World Hosted Community
Predator Hosted Community
Aliens vs. Predator Hosted Community
Latest Activity
Forums