Godzilla Movie

What I believe the origin stories for Rodan, Mothra, and King Ghidorah could be in the Legendary series

2634 Views15 Replies
Forum Topic

Ultrazero80

MemberTitanosaurusMay-15-2015 7:15 PM

Hello everyone, today I'd like to talk to about how I believe the origins for Rodan, Mothra, and King Ghidorah could be in the Legendary series. I have been thinking about how you could make them realistic and at the same time respecting the roots of the characters, and I think I've come up with a good way of doing that.

Rodan: To me-and possibly a lot of other people who are exited for Godzilla (2018)-I believe that Rodan is the easiest of the three monsters to add in the sequels, because in the original film Rodan was a prehisoric monster that was awakened by a mining operation in the cave where they both slept. So it stands to reason that Rodan would come from the same time period that Godzilla originated from in this continuity. 

Mothra: Now at first I thought that Mothra was near impossible to introduce into the Legendary series considering she was a goddess of peace in the original Toho films. But last night I remembered something I learned from a documentery series called "Walking with Monsters" that talked about the different time periods that happened before the dinosaurs. One of these time periodes was called the "Carbonifrous period" where the oxygen levels were 40% higher than they are today. To me this seems like the perfect time period for Mothra to live instead of Godzilla's because from what I've learned from the documentery the more oxygen there is in the atmosphere the larger insects can grow. The other reason I believe this time period is better for Mothra instead of Godzilla's is because his time period is 10x more radioactive than it is today, and I don't see Mothra mixing well with radiation concidering how harmful it can be to the environment, which doesn't work with her considering she is a peaceful monster that doesn't want do destroy anything, but she will if it is necessary.

King Ghidorah: Now I believe that King Ghidorah could still be an extraterrestrial in the Legendary series if done in the right way, and here's what I think could work. King Ghidorah could possibly come from the metorite that crashlanded more then 65 million years ago and kills the dinosaurs. But instead of King Ghidorah being an adult right from the get go he could possibly be an egg at first and grow's into an adult over time and is possibly awakened either by the nuclear testing that took place in the 1950's of the fight between Godzilla and the Muto's. 

so that's what I think the origin stories for Rodan, Mothra and King Ghidorah could be in the Legendary series tell me what you guys think and I'll see you guys later.

Godzilla... Truly a God incarnate.

15 Replies

Durp004

MemberBaragonMay-16-2015 12:30 PM

This seems to go pretty closely with other theories. The ones up for debate are Ghidorah, and Mothra really everyone expects Rodan to basically share Godzilla's backstory.

The King of the Monsters

MemberMothra LarvaeMay-16-2015 1:12 PM

I hadn't actually considered the idea of Mothra being from the Carboniferous, but it makes sense. Toho used the same origin for the Meganula and Megaguirus, and it could easily work for Legendary's version of Mothra.

As for King Ghidorah, I also like the idea that the meteor that killed the dinosaurs at the end of the Cretaceous acted like a sort of cocoon or egg for him, and that he remained dormant for millions of years, until recent changes to the planet have allowed him to emerge and wreak havoc.

And I agree with pretty much everyone else that Rodan should just be another creature that evolved alongside Godzilla. 

"When man falls into conflict with nature, monsters are born." - Professor Hayashida, The Return of Godzilla

Primeval_raptor

MemberMothra LarvaeMay-16-2015 2:00 PM

Don't know if its considered canon, but in the novelization of the 2014 movie, Mothra is hinted to be Ford's pet moth, who apparently hatched from her cococoon after the nuclear meltdown

Primeval_raptor

Don't know if its considered canon, but in the novelization of the 2014 movie, Mothra is hinted to be Ford's pet moth, who apparently hatched from her cococoon after the nuclear meltdown

Primeval_raptor

Primeval_raptor

The King of the Monsters

MemberMothra LarvaeMay-16-2015 2:03 PM

Mothra will not be the cocoon at Janjira. That was just an Easter egg referencing Mothra. Making Mothra somehow a mutated moth that grew to kaiju size is not only unrealistic by Legendary's standards, but it completely spits in the face of the character's entire legacy. Mothra will be some sort of ancient creature in Godzilla 2, possibly with a mysterious past and some sort of vague mystical element that causes some people to see her as a goddess.

"When man falls into conflict with nature, monsters are born." - Professor Hayashida, The Return of Godzilla

davidgojira

MemberMothra LarvaeMay-16-2015 2:14 PM

They all seem reasonable enough...well done!

Sci-Fi King25

MemberGiganMay-17-2015 9:21 AM

I like how they fit with the realism of Legendary's Godzilla.

“Banana oil.”- George Takei, Gigantis: The Fire Monster

Triple X

MemberMothra LarvaeMay-17-2015 10:05 AM

Polycephaly of more than two heads is something that's nearly impollible to exist in nature, and i also don't think that they are going to introduce an alien, when they have monsters. I think that King Ghidorah is going to be the result of MONARCH, experimenting with MUTO DNA. They are confronted with something dangerously new (Godzilla) and since atomic weapons doesn't work, the first thing to do is to create another weapon against the threat!

Rhodan and Mothra are going to be ancient creatures. So it's more likely that the world is going to work on a weapon that actually works.

TheGMan123

MemberTitanosaurusMay-17-2015 10:18 AM

Problem, Destoroyahx. Modern-day genetic engineering is nowhere near that advanced as to create a new life form from the DNA of existing animals, even giant monsters like the M.U.T.O.s. There is no truly logical way to really do King Ghidorah without suspending disbelief. But at least with the extraterrestrial origin, although it can be considered a cop-out handwave, has the benefit of the rest of the universe being the reason for his existence.

The King of the Monsters

MemberMothra LarvaeMay-17-2015 10:31 AM

I think making King Ghidorah an extraterrestrial is the best way to make him plausible in Legendary's series, plus it's the most consistent with his most popular origin. If King Ghidorah were just a creature that came from somewhere else in the universe, then it leaves a lot to the imagination. A lifeform like that would probably never evolve on Earth, while there's no way that humanity would be stupid enough to create him, plus making him genetically engineered would push the boundaries of realism more than making him an alien.

The thing is, we don't even know what types of lifeforms exist out in the universe. For all we know, a creature like King Ghidorah could be out there. Legendary exploited the fact that humanity knows so little about what lies deep under Earth's oceans to justify Godzilla's existence, and they could do the same with outer space for King Ghidorah. They don't need to explain where exactly King Ghidorah came from, why he exists, or exactly how he got here. All that matters is that he has arrived on Earth, and poses a serious threat. That same approach has been used in some of the greatest science-fiction films in order to introduce an extraterrestrial lifeform while still remaining grounded. In a universe where giant monsters from the Permian are roaming the Earth, a giant three-headed dragon coming from outer space isn't that much more of a stretch.

Ultrazero80

MemberTitanosaurusMay-17-2015 1:11 PM

You know I've actually been thinking about making some fan made origin stories for some of the other monsters from the Godzilla series would you like to see me do that?

Godzilla... Truly a God incarnate.

godzilla200010

MemberMothra LarvaeMay-18-2015 11:27 AM

Now normally I just ignore the whole topic when someone says ghidorah will come from space but this one makes more sense. Mabey when Ghidorah is in his egg the outside everment doesn’t affect him kind of like how a seed works. It can be dormant for 100s of years but can just start growing (or in this case be born) whenever it feels like it or when the outside everment is right for it. But still it is more likely ghidorah will originate on earth because it is far more believable but you're isn’t too far of a stretch. 

Something Real

MemberGodzillaMay-18-2015 2:53 PM

ULTRAZERO80 - These are exceptionally neat concepts you have presented! I especially enjoy the thought you have placed into the origins of Ghidorah and Mothra! Personally, I believe Ghidorah arriving via space is perfectly fine; our galaxy is vast, and the universe surrounding it is even larger! There is no telling what could be out there amidst those countless trillions of stars - or what might one day find us. Thank you ever so much for sharing these concepts with us! :)

Add A Reply
Sign In Required
Sign in using your Scified Account to access this feature!
Email
Password
Latest Images
Godzilla & Kaiju Godzilla & Kaiju Fandom
Godzilla Movie Forums
Godzilla x Kong: The New Empire
Godzilla x Kong: The New Empire Discuss the Godzilla vs. Kong sequel here!
Godzilla Merchandise
Godzilla Merchandise Discuss Godzilla Toys & Literature
Godzilla Fan Works
Godzilla Fan Works Share Your Godzilla Fan Creations
Godzilla: Minus One
Godzilla: Minus One Discuss the Toho movie, Godzilla: Minus One here!
Godzilla
Godzilla Talk all things Godzilla, Pacific Rim, Gamera & more here
Monarch: Legacy of Monsters
Monarch: Legacy of Monsters Discuss the Monsterverse TV series on Apple TV here!
Godzilla 2014
Godzilla 2014 Discuss the Legendary Godzilla Series
Godzilla Video Games
Godzilla Video Games Talk and Compare Godzilla Games
Shin-Gojira
Shin-Gojira Discuss Shin-Godzilla here
Godzilla 2: King of the Monsters
Godzilla 2: King of the Monsters Discuss the Legendary Godzilla sequel here!
Godzilla vs. Kong (2020)
Godzilla vs. Kong (2020) Discuss the Godzilla vs. Kong Monsterverse movie here!
Hot Forum Topics
New Forum Topics
Highest Forum Ranks Unlocked
G. H. (Gman)
G. H. (Gman) » Godzilla
53% To Next Rank
Nicozilla
Nicozilla » Baragon
72% To Next Rank
KoldWarKid62
KoldWarKid62 » Baragon
43% To Next Rank
BigGMonsterMan
BigGMonsterMan » Baragon
33% To Next Rank
GojiFan99
GojiFan99 » Mothra Larvae
85% To Next Rank
Latest Godzilla Fandom Activity
Godzilla Forum Teams

Godzilla-Movies.com is an information resource for fans looking to learn more about the upcoming blockbuster Godzilla: King of the Monsters. Providing the latest official and accurate information on Godzilla: King of the Monsters, this website contains links to every set video, viral video, commercial, trailer, poster, movie still and screenshot available. This site is an extension of the Godzilla Fandom on Scified - a central hub for fans of Godzilla looking to stay up-to-date on the latest news. Images used are property of their respective owners. Godzilla: King of the Monsters and its associated names, logos and images are property of and are in no way owned by Scified and its related entities. This is a fan-created website for the purpose of informing and exciting fans for Godzilla: King of the Monsters's release.

© 2024 Scified.com
Sign in
Use your Scified Account to sign in

Transport To Communities
Alien Hosted Community
Cloverfield Hosted Community
Godzilla Hosted Community
Jurassic World Hosted Community
Predator Hosted Community
Aliens vs. Predator Hosted Community
Latest Activity
Forums