Alien Movie Universe

I'm afraid these writers

2202 Views16 Replies
Forum Topic

AlanGif

MemberOvomorphMar-28-2015 10:45 AM

As qw know, the writers of Prometheus 2 will be Jack Paglen (Transcedence), and Michael Green (Green Lantern). We've seen what Damon Lindelof did with Prometheus, but now it seems we have something even worse in Prometheus 2.

First, Transcedence and Green Lantern are horrible movies, these writers are much more concerned with money than quality, and Ridley still needs a lot of knowledge to answer the questions promised in Prometheus. I'm very afraid of Prometheus 2 now.

Billy Brennan - Like computers do not like? Alan Grant - I like the abacus, Billy.

16 Replies

GustavoHR

MemberOvomorphMar-28-2015 11:46 AM

I don't get the hatred towards Lindelof's work in Prometheus. Apart from some underdeveloped secondary characters, his script is structurally sound, all the while integrating the Alien "DNA" (as Ridley himself put it) into its prequel nature in an evocative and suggestive manner.

All this aimless, generalized criticism by internet fanboys is getting old really fast, and more than a little infantile.

Jack Paglen needs not be mentioned. His draft was revised by Michael Green. We don't even know if Paglen will end up receiving credit.

Green may have written Green Lantern, so what? Oscar-winner Akiva Goldsman wrote Batman & Robin before A Beautiful Mind. Legendary, multi-Oscar winning William Goldman wrote Butch Cassidy, All the President's Men and... Dreamcatcher.

All this fuss sounds very unnecessary to me.

MonsterZero

MemberXenomorphMar-28-2015 12:38 PM

I do feel sorry for people who have high expectations. My brother was hyped for Prometheus......he wanted Aliens revisited, space marines and XENO's part 2!  He still hasn't given it a second watching, but he's starting to get hyped for Alien 5! LOL!

All I want from Prometheus 2 is Spacesuits, Spaceships, Spacecreatures, Alien worlds.....I have ZERO expectations.

Major Noob

MemberOvomorphMar-28-2015 2:17 PM

Don't forget that between Spaights, Ridley and Lindelof there is probably already a pretty solid framework in place for what will happen next. And Lindelof did a great job, he didn't taint a great story, he did what he was told and rather cleverly moved it away from the well worn Alien template.

Happily (or maybe not) Neill Blomkamp is reviving the classic storyline and now there should be something for everybody!

Batchpool

MemberFacehuggerMar-28-2015 6:10 PM

Between what is written and what eventually ends up on the big screen are a lot of processes. I think Prometheus was subject to some considerable editing which resulted in Lindelof taking a lot of flak. That said, Prometheus has carved out its own niche, and successfully enough to give us a Prometheus 2. I also think that because of Prometheus expectations have changed.

I do think GustavoHR is right that there is too much fuss about the writing.  In the great scheme of things, there are a lot of other things that need to be right.

BigDave

MemberDeaconMar-28-2015 6:38 PM

Well i think we have to give it a chance and we have to remember it does not matter what Paglen or Green write that matters, they will no doubt be given a rough idea from Fox maybe Ridley. They will then go and write up a draft this will be looked at by maybe Fox and Ridley before 2nd draft or maybe the first writter will re-do his... regardless there had been 15 drafts and this does not mean 15 different stories/plots just that it has gone through 15 changes and a lot of these would involve Fox and Ridley.

And Ridley will have a lot of say but the buck stops with FOX.... Prometheus is not a Ridley Scott Franchise and Alien likewise, and by that i mean that FOX have the final say... if Fox wanted our Engineers to be servants to Predators and Ridley was like wait a minute no way, i am not having nothing to do with this..

Does Promethues 2 never get done... nope... if thats what Fox want then thats what they get.

So i think its unfair to really blame those writters 100% and maybe we cant be 100% certain of how the movie would be based on those writters previous movies.

So what Batchpool says is pretty much spot on!

R.I.P Sox  01/01/2006 - 11/10/2017

BigDave

MemberDeaconMar-28-2015 6:48 PM

As far as Lindeloff goes, i have never been a fan not a massive one but to be fair his draft was not as disapointing as the final product and some of his ideas to evlove certain parts of Spaights draft was good idea.... other parts that was dropped for example the Alien elements may not be Lindeloffs fault but Ridley and mostly Fox.

Prometheus did have a lot of lose ends and not thought out elements like the TV Series Lost.... but then Lindeloff is writter and the buck should stop with JJ Abrahams as far as what we got on TV.

And so Ridley and more over Fox should be given more blame than he writters as they are the ones who Green Light the plot or say... no change X to be more X... and Ridley has the task to then put that to screen but again while shooting or even post production and shooting if Fox want X changed to X then it gets done.

So i say give it a chance and from what we have kind of heard and what kind of word of mouth rumours i have heard the movie could end up being Fantastic and i mean truely fantastic or could end up a missed opportunity if not executed right.

Only time will tell...

As for the OP, yes your concerned are noted and oppinion respected.... but we maybe cant judge the final product on Green Lantern which is a Comic Book movie based on a Comic Book Character that has limitations on how to portray them, Green Lantern is ner going to be as gripping as Batman for instance... and the plot is a bit well over the top Fantasy like Ben 10.... but thats how Green Lantern is...

Transcedence was a very bold plot that was sadly not executed as good as the scope of the plot and Prometheus falls into the same or similar ....

BigDave

MemberDeaconMar-28-2015 7:04 PM

@Major Noob

I think they kind of had a rough idea of where they was trying to go, but ultimately i feel they realised that hang on! No matter how they evolved Spaights work to be less Alien-y they would still have to answer some of the questions than leave them ambigious.

And that while they evolved points of his draft, Lindeloffs and Prometheus still followed the Engineers are the Space Jockey who created us, came to vist and teach us stuff and was worshiped as Gods, and they then basicaly got disapointed and wanted us dead.

This plot is well HUGE ...MASIVE!

Taking on such a Plot however is really hard and to do jutice and could prove to be a Poisoned Challace...  with so much potential and so many ways this could go, its no wonder the draft has changed 15 times as they try to get it right.

Ultimately i feel the Original idea and plan at the time of pre-poduction has changed a lot post production and certainly since the movies release...

Things will be changed and tonned down somewhat because the Plot and Scope was soo huge that they may have trimmed it down and made it more basic....

We shall have to wait and see....

But yes i agree that after Prometheus was realeased they had a rough idea of where they could take the Franchise as far as a few ideas, and i feel those ideas may changed a bit but the back bone story would stay the same..

That being....

1) What kind of Race and Culture is found on Paradise and in what state are they.

2) How do they react to David and Shaw and especially Shaws Questions.

3) What kind of Agenda did the Engineers and thier Creators have and what part did we play in that and did they know of our creation.

4) What kind of Agenda does David have regarding what is found and also what he plans to do with the Bio Weapon Cargo he is carrying.

5) How deep is the Engineers and their creators back story as far as creation of life, are we the only World and Race they have created etc..

Plus now seems they would be also going for...

6) What does Weyland or Yutani Corp, do about the situation of Project Prometheus, and what happens to Weyland now its CEO and Vice CEO are dead?

7) What becomes of LV 223 between Prometheus and Alien...

And maybe or maybe not...

8) A connection between LV 223 and LV 426 event as far as more info on connection between the Xeno in Alien Franchise and the experiments or Bio Weapons these Engineers had been experimenting with on LV 223 and the downfall of their work.

9)  A connection to the companies knowledge of LV 223 and LV 426 and the Experiments and Organism and connection to the Engineers.

oduodu

MemberXenomorphMar-30-2015 4:51 AM

i have the same fears. 

djamelameziane

MemberFacehuggerMar-30-2015 10:33 AM

No you are absolutely right we are talking about the three major makers of the film (two writers and Ridley himself). Just not producing good work for a while now. I too thought ut oh and have not seen any major wows for part 2 after a mediocre part 1. Lindelof did mess part of it up but did do some good work on the story and Ridley helped muddle it some more. There is still hope of course there always is just not any yet! Still I suppose our hopes can only go up at least after the massive hype of prometheus and then the let down. And no I'm pretty sure it wasn't mainly people expecting aliens and marines etc. it was people expecting a coherent and maybe almost as real and amazing film as alien and it missing the target by such a huge distance. Brilliant idea poor execution...

Oh yes and the new alien director another guy taking a bit of a nose dive right now...We need to pray to the film making Gods :p

"It's almost as if they are making it up as they go along" :D

MonsterZero

MemberXenomorphMar-30-2015 12:17 PM

Making great movies/art is extremely difficult...the majority of the time you fail. The greatest Major Leagues baseball players fail 7 out 10 times and still make the hall of Fame!

Beethoven wrote 9 symphonies, 2 are considered his masterpieces(5th and 9th)....Why didn't he make ALL his symphonies masterpieces? Because it's freakin hard.

George Lucas wrote 6 Star Wars movies, 2 are considered great.....Why didn't he make ALL his Star Wars movies great? Because it's freakin hard!

Lucas, Spielberg, Scott, Nolan, ect...are held to a much higher standard then Beethoven, Mozart, Rembrandt, ect. or any of the great masters.

If you try to make the 'perfect' movie, it'll never get made. Better to just get on with it. Live with the results ...and if you are lucky enough...get to try it again.

BigDave

MemberDeaconMar-30-2015 12:46 PM

Both very true comments...

We can only hope they have taken on board critism to a degree, even if they do not read sites like this they would know the general media etc, had Prometheus down as a disapointment compared to how Fox and Ridley would have hopped for...

However the number of re-writes to the draft, the secrecy etc all shows they are taking their time with this one, it seems that no soon as Prometheus was released they had already given the Green Light for a part 2 and they had some broad ideas of where they want to go.

This all shows they could be taking the sequel very seriously and they are not after a quick fix, and money making cash cow... they are most liking trying to give us a movie that would be EPIC.

The fact that Ridley seems prepared to Direct this movie instead of Blade Runner 2 is showing how commited Ridley is to this project, he could have gone..

(Prometheus  did not go down as well as i hopped... how can we fix this and please most fans with Part2?  

Tell you what, ill pass that and make sure that i do a much much better job with Blade Runner 2)

But no he prefers to attempt to finish and deliver his dream of Prometheus, even at the risk it may end up not being everything that the fans want.

So i think how long its seems to be taking considering they knew they was making a Part 2 and would have rough idea of where they wish to take us with it, is a sign they are TRYING TO GET THIS RIGHT.

djamelameziane

MemberFacehuggerMar-31-2015 8:27 AM

Monster you need to look at which films are failing its all the later films in directors careers that usually fail its a trend not a 'random this films bad but his later films are the best sometimes' situation. Speilberg is not making jurassic park /  ET films no more and yes the first 3 not 2 starwars films were masterpieces but lucas did not direct any of them! Even the directors them selves admit its like your a boxer and you go in the ring your amazing when your young and fit but one day you start to lose your fitness and one day you find you cant fight anywere near as much. Its such a hard thing making films and its hard enough in your 40s let alone your 70s! Just look at the general trend of any top director and almost always downhill unless your some kind of strange super fan that likes anything they make :P . 

And yes dave I hope ridley does direct and somehow pulls it off somehow but it is still not certian he will :S ... but its hard to think of nayone that could make part 2 and better then him we really need to old team of ridley in his prime obannon and gieger or people with similar skills :P .

And yes I hope its all about getting the film right and not just a lack of confidence in it the delays are getting weird now so many and no sight of the actual filming starting...

"It's almost as if they are making it up as they go along" :D

Membrane

MemberFacehuggerMar-31-2015 9:34 AM

Can't say much about Paglen as the only thing I've read about his work is 'Transcendence' and it sounds like the scipt is what had a lot of problems.

Green, on the other hand, I have read some things about his work on 'Green Lantern'.  He was brought in somewhat last minute to tweak things here and there (along with other writers) and the script was practically un-salvagable so no matter how many tweaks were made, it would not have been improved.

MonsterZero

MemberXenomorphMar-31-2015 12:05 PM

Well another reason these movies are hard to make, is they put all their eggs in one basket......no room for error.

Now, if Prometheus was a TV series...we would have an assortment of writers and many plots and episodes to choose to love or hate.

Prometheus TV series: Season 1

Prometheus: Episode 1 "distress'

On route to Paradise, Shaw and David answer a distress signal.  Finding a colony of humans stranded on a desert world. They offer help..but should they? *introduces 2 new characters to the show*

Prometheus: Episode 2 "death'

On entering the Engineers solar system, Shaw and David find and board a derelict spacecraft....and find it's from Earth! *Two parter*

Prometheus: Episode 2 "death x2'

The derelict Eath spacecraft is haunted by pan dimensional beings! can the crew of the Juggernaut escape!?!? 

Prometheus: Episode 3 'Paradise'

The crew enters orbit around the Engineeers homeworld...only to find a long dead world...can they make sense of what happened?

Prometheus: Episode 4 'not so dead'

Etc.....

Idon't know...I have way too much time on my hands! lol

BigDave

MemberDeaconMar-31-2015 3:27 PM

LOL Monster yeah sounds good idea... but yes i guess they do tend to put all Eggs in one Basket..

Some interesting ideas, and we dont know what Part 2 would bring..  i mean who is to say that David does not stop off to some place on the way, pick up a few folk and infect them lol

Another idea that comes from what you have said is.... how do we not know for sure wether Engineers came down and abducted Humans over the years  and took them to LV 223.

Maybe some Humans could have caused some problems and even hijacked a Engineer Ship with a friendly Engineer in the past, i guess anything can be possible.

Membrane

MemberFacehuggerSep-28-2015 10:48 AM

I started another thread in regards to this topic here.  Bottom line is Denis Villeneuve thinks Michael Green is a genius and the script for 'Blade Runner 2' is one of the reasons he said yes to the project. I think the movies he has directed had good stories so in my opinion this bodes well for 'BR2' and 'Alien: Paradise Lost' where Green had a big hand in the screenplays.

Add A Reply
Sign In Required
Sign in using your Scified Account to access this feature!
Email
Password
Latest Images
Alien & Predator Alien & Predator Fandom
Alien Movie Universe Forums
Alien Games
Alien Games Discuss Alien games here
Alien: Romulus
Alien: Romulus Discuss the new Fede Alvarez Alien movie here
Alien
Alien Discuss all things Alien here
Alien: Covenant
Alien: Covenant Discuss the Prometheus Sequel, Alien: Covenant
Alien FX TV Series
Alien FX TV Series Discuss the Alien FX TV series here!
Alien 5 Movie
Alien 5 Movie Discuss Neill Blomkamps’s vision for Alien 5 here
Alien Movies
Alien Movies Discuss the Classic Alien Films
Prometheus
Prometheus Everything About Prometheus
Prometheus Fan Art
Prometheus Fan Art Artwork & Fiction From the Fans
Hot Forum Topics
New Forum Topics
Highest Forum Ranks Unlocked
ninXeno426
ninXeno426 » Praetorian
62% To Next Rank
Thoughts_Dreams
Thoughts_Dreams » Neomorph
85% To Next Rank
MonsterZero
MonsterZero » Xenomorph
92% To Next Rank
Neomorph
Neomorph » Chestburster
80% To Next Rank
Jonesy
Jonesy » Facehugger
91% To Next Rank
Latest Alien Fandom Activity

Alien: Covenant is a sequel to 2012's Prometheus as well as a prequel to 1979's ALIEN. Alien fans looking to know more about Alien: Covenant should check back often. Alien-Covenant.com is an information resource for film enthusiasts looking to learn more about the upcoming blockbuster Alien: Covenant. Providing the latest official and accurate information on Alien: Covenant, this website contains links to every set video, viral video, commercial, trailer, poster, movie still and screenshot available. This site is an extension of the Alien & Predator Fandom on Scified - a central hub for fans of Alien and Prometheus looking to stay up-to-date on the latest news. Images used are property of their respective owners. Alien: Covenant, Prometheus and its associated names, logos and images are property of 20th Century Fox and are in no way owned by Scified and its related entities. This is a fan-created website for the purpose of informing and exciting fans for Alien: Covenant's release. If you have any questions about this site, its content or the Scified Network in general, feel free to contact Scified directly.

© 2024 Scified.com
Sign in
Use your Scified Account to sign in

Transport To Communities
Alien Hosted Community
Cloverfield Hosted Community
Godzilla Hosted Community
Jurassic World Hosted Community
Predator Hosted Community
Aliens vs. Predator Hosted Community
Latest Activity
Forums