Looking for a movie title

1,768 Views2 Replies
Forum Topic

DaricLaRone

MemberNoobMay-08-2014 1:41 AM

Hi guys,

I'm looking for a sci-fi film, which I saw long time ago, ending with some guy in a spacecraft getting sucked into a black hole. I saw it among many other sci-fi flicks because after my first encounter with Star Wars in a theater (I'm 20 so in my case it was the notorious Phantom Menace) I told my dad to rent as many sci fi movies as possible. I guess it was probably from early 2000s or from 90s. It can be really anything  - low-budget or direct-to-video. The aforementioned scene is the only one I remember for sure, the rest are just vague images. Any idea what movie could it be? I really appreciate your help :)

2 Replies

Gavin

MemberLegendMay-08-2014 3:06 AM

Black Holes, 1990's - would equal the cult classic Event Horizon starring Laurence Fishburne (The Matrix), Sam Neill (Jurassic Park), Sean Pertwee (Gotham) and Jason Issacs (Harry Potter - The Deathly Hallows) and was directed by Paul W.S. Anderson - yes thesame guy responsible for the terrible AVP, Resident Evil and the latest film adaptation of The Three Musketeers.

The story follows a salvage ship called the "Lewis and Clark" which is sent to the orbit of Neptune to recover the long-lost ship the Event Horizon, which went missing seven years beforehand. Turns out the Event Horizon was an experimental craft intended to use Black Holes to travel long distances in a short period of time - its mission was to engage its "Gravity Drive" and travel to the Proxima Centuari system, but upon doing so all contact was lost, until now. 

Do you see? DO YOU SEE?

The crew of the Lewis and Clark led by Captain Miller (Fishburne) and guided by the Event Horizon's designer Dr. Weir (Neill), discover the crew cannibalised each other while progressively the salvage crew start to hallucinate terrible moments from their past - turns out the vessel never made it to Proxima Centauri, but instead travelledto Hell itself and returned, possessed by some evil spirit to its point of origin.

I myself saw this movie at an advanced screening, the day before its official release at a local cinema that has since closed down. The cinema in question, when showing advanced screenings was somehow able to show full, uncut versions of movies, making the extra price of the ticket all the more worth it.

Through these advance screenings I saw scenes in movies that seem to have since been lost, such as the Newborn in Alien Resurrection rasping the word "Mommy" when it approached Ripley after its birth, or in Terminator 2 seeing the T-1000 'feel' John Connors room before discovering the audio tapes from his mother, and from Event Horizon a scene that actually showed the possessed ship in orbit above Hell itself in the scene where Weir explains to Miller wherethe ship has been.

Unfortunately this scene seems to have been lost, as I now own the two disc special edition DVD and it is not present. regardless it is still worth buying for anyones collection, and despite the directors more recent abominations Event Horizon is one of the best examples of sci fi horror, and deserves to sit alongside other classics in the cross-genre such as 1979's Alien, 1982's The Thing and 1986's The Fly!

StarbaseOne

MemberNoobAug-11-2014 10:48 PM

The movie "The Black Hole" from 1979 might also be near what you are looking for.

Add A Reply
Sign In Required
Sign in using your Scified Account to access this feature!
Email
Password
Latest Images
All Fandoms
Sci-Fi Movies All Fandoms
Alien & Predator Alien & Predator Fandom
Godzilla & Kaiju Godzilla & Kaiju Fandom
Jurassic Park / World Jurassic Park Fandom
Marvel & DC Marvel & DC Fandom
Star Wars Star Wars Fandom
Recently Active Forums
Alien Games
Alien Games Discuss Alien games here
Godzilla Fan Works
Godzilla Fan Works Share Your Godzilla Fan Creations
Monarch: Legacy of Monsters
Monarch: Legacy of Monsters Discuss the Monsterverse TV series on Apple TV here!
Alien: Romulus
Alien: Romulus Discuss the new Fede Alvarez Alien movie here
Hot Forum Topics
New Forum Topics
Highest Forum Ranks Unlocked
Chris
Chris » Atman
49% To Next Rank
Svanya
Svanya » 2K
87% To Next Rank
Dark Nebula
Dark Nebula » Conversationalist
84% To Next Rank
Alphadino65
Alphadino65 » Initiate
40% To Next Rank
Snake
Snake » Initiate
25% To Next Rank
Latest Activity
Scified Community Stats
Scified hosts a network of online communities containing 404,754 posts by 48,064 members (10 are online now). The Alien Games Forum is the most recently active forum. The latest Forum topic added was: Aliens: Fireteam Elite Engineer environments
VIPWhat are VIP?AdminModeratorSpecial TitleMember

Scified is an entertainment website and media network offering scoops and reporting on the most popular, upcoming science fiction movies, games and television. All content is property of Scified.com unless otherwise stated. Images and titles of content we promote, discuss, review or report are property of their respective owners. Scified is independantly owned and operated by a team of dedicated sci-fi movie fans, who strive to provide the best information and community experience for other like-minded sci-fi movie enthusiasts.

© 2024 Scified.com
Sign in
Use your Scified Account to sign in

Transport To Communities
Alien Hosted Community
Cloverfield Hosted Community
Godzilla Hosted Community
Jurassic World Hosted Community
Predator Hosted Community
Aliens vs. Predator Hosted Community
Latest Activity
Forums