Name your two most favourite sci-fi movies and two most disliked sci-fi movies.

Pinned Topic6,450 Views26 Replies
Forum Topic

pulserifle187

MemberNoobMay-26-2013 2:18 AM
My favourite sci-fi movies are 1. Bladerunner, why? Fascinating and thought provoking story . Completely original idea. 2. Alien. why? Probably one of the most scariest sci-fi movies of all time. Some of the scenes and ideas were a cinematic first. Most disliked. 1. Deep star six. why? Not completely sci-fi, but creature and all the rest kinda makes it sci-fi. Bad plot and bad creature design. 2. The phantom menace. Why? sorry this maybe unpopular , but I simply didn't like it. I felt the robots were corny (pretty much all the characters were weak). Too much of a different style of filming from the original. You can state your ideas or just criticize mine.....fire away
"how do you feel?"-" great, next stupid question"
26 Replies

Batchpool

MemberInitiateMay-26-2013 4:01 PM
As much as I would like to say Star Wars and Alien, on this rare occasion , just to be different I’m not going to. I think sci fi has gone through different era’s of development and many early sci fi films sometimes get forgotten. Out of earlier sci-fi films I would class my top two favourites as The Day the Earth Stood Still and THX1138. 1. The day the earth stood still works for me because it is in black and white. I don’t know if it would work if it was ever re coloured. It is a good simple story with a good message. I think that the robot Gort has become something of a classic icon imo. I think the film is a classic through and through. 2. THX1138 imo is a way ahead of its time vision. Again this was quite simple in its effects but damned effective, especially the robot police. I think it was quite a vision which showed the skill of Lucas given with what he had to work with. I wonder how much this film has a role to play in developing the ideas for Blade Runner, Equilibrium, and possibly Robopocalypse, and many other dystopian films. As for my two worst films. Jumper, because it just seemed to lead nowhere and Starship Troopers 2 for being predictably bad. I could put quite a few on this list and most of them are 3rd rate sequels.

Feebs

MemberNoobMay-27-2013 9:28 AM
Oh noez....really bad question, it's very hard for me to hate movies and then I like so many but for starters I would say: 1. would be Alien 3 out of the franchise. I fund the athmosphere and the runner itself as magnifecent art. 2. is no other than Prometheus :P. I like the film as it is, maybe slight changes but bringing old back to life. My disliked film would be following: 1. Avatar - I didn't really like it at all, just didn't click. 2. ET....I don't know why but I don't like it at all.....ever since I saw it as a kid I.

This is my forum signature.

pulserifle187

MemberNoobMay-28-2013 7:48 AM
@feebs I totally understand what you mean by avatar...just didn't do anything for me.Alien 3 rocks, especially the extended version.

Kaiju Blue

MemberNoobMay-28-2013 11:08 AM
a couple of my favorites: Event Horizon, We don't need eyes where we are going :) The Cube- before the sequels, WTF is going on in these sequels, ridiculous Most disliked: Mission to Mars: This is Terrible on all fronts, really .....really bad I am legend: ahh yeah the proof is in the puddin'

Chris

AdminAtmanMay-29-2013 4:28 PM
Hard to say, I like a lot of sci-fi, even if the budgets were low. Some that I really enjoyed were: Prometheus, Alien, Aliens, Predator, Predator 2, Independence Day, Terminator 1 & 2, Event Horizon, etc... The list literally goes on forever, haha. Some that I did not like were: Avatar and AvP: Requiem.
Hyped for: Alien: Romulus | Badlands (Predator 6) | Cloverfield 4

gbutler007

MemberNoobMay-30-2013 12:11 AM
My choices for best: 1) "[b][i]Alien[/b][/i]". [img]http://adlibitur90.files.wordpress.com/2012/04/alien.jpg[/img] Scared the unholy s**t outta me when I first saw it, and have loved it ever since. 2) Not sure if it qualifies as sci-fi or not, but I'm going with the 1954 Japanese classic [b][i]"Gojira (Godzilla)"[/i][/b]. [img]http://dailypop.files.wordpress.com/2010/10/gojira.jpg[/img] Perfect allegory into the hazards of nuclear weaponry, but with a sci-fi-style twist. The worst? Well... 1) [b][i]"Dune"[/i][/b] directed by David Lynch (1984). [img]http://www.movieprop.com/tvandmovie/reviews/dune.jpg[/img] Loved the book (reading it now, MOF), but the movie flat-out sucked the big one, IMO. Flat acting, poorly written script, lousy sfx... one big crap-fest. 2) [b][i]"Aeon Flux"[/i][/b] w/Charlize Theron as the title character. [img]http://media.ove.cybermage.se/2010/06/aeon-flux-720x540.jpg[/img] No offense to Ms. Theron (who is gorgeous, BTW), but this was a role she should have seriously passed on. The MTV animated version was much slicker, sexier, and damned more interesting than this schlock-fest to me. Just my $.02 on this.
http://img347.imageshack.us/img347/8936/apolloavatarsmlzd6.jpg

**Al**

Community ExecutiveMemberNoobMay-30-2013 12:23 AM
My two most favourite sci-fi movies [img]http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-Qw6TEqRkiHw/T_llfqiHgYI/AAAAAAAABCs/RlBA2wRdeF8/s1600/Terminator_2_el_juicio_final-825143697-large.jpg[/img] And.. [img]http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_yPoQst1Z3Ak/TTHMtltygEI/AAAAAAAACrA/HJeSjs5f5Z0/s1600/Alien+Poster.jpg[/img] as a bonus: [url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7wSba9hwCaU]Nausicaä[/url] [img]http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_KbCRHpru3TE/S-rUdoNhnkI/AAAAAAAAB4o/qiZf91K27mI/s1600/Nausica%C3%A4_posterEsp.jpg[/img] [b]And the two I least liked[/b] Planet of the apes (2001) by Tim Burton... puaj Transformers ( pick one- all of them sucks) ... double puaj as a bonus: AvP
The world will spin well past our last breath, but I will always care about you

Major Noob

MemberNoobMay-30-2013 5:06 PM
I'm down with all the answers here so far! Right now off the cuff I'll say my two favorites are: Animatrix Second Renaissance- this is the film the Wachowskis should have made after The Matrix. I love the sequels but they suffer from the Bigger and Flashier sequel template. This short ( 9 minute ) animated film is beautifully rendered, a bleak and chilling take on the "AI Gone Wrong" trope, and an excellent set up for The Matrix itself. Would have been a great and most unexpected live action prequel. Predictably, my second is: Prometheus- I've gone on and on about why I love this movie, it's a sort of thumbing of the nose to current Sci Fi standards, yet for all its subtlety and relative lack of noisy confusion it is an anarchic and subversive film and the most startling and stylish addition to the saga since Alien itself ( the only reason I didn't include Alien here is because I think Animatrix deserves a spot). Least favorites: Yeah, Transformers tops the list. All of them, though I've only seen one. Watching it is like having an induced neurological disorder. Confusing action, silly robots, a hero who could not possibly command the attention of his various supermodel love interests, seemingly cast and wardrobed purely to excite Michael Bay, and no mood whatsoever. One long car commercial. Cloverfield- I am not a JJ Abrams fan, and of course he's HUGE. Cloverfield feels cheap and Indy in all the wrong ways, and one particularly distressing scene also has the greatest premise: Our hero saves the girl in a damaged skyscraper that is leaning ( or being leaned upon, I forget) by another skyscraper, they have to cross from one to the other and the monster is coming. Awesome! But they step out onto the roof of this huge building and it looks like a little set built with a Home Depot budget of about $500. Tiny residential air conditioners on a building that should bear huge fans, which would have lent so much more danger and drama to the scene. I know I'm being nit picky here but this sort of defines JJ Abrams for me. I don't hate his movies, just not my thing.

craigamore

MemberNoobMay-30-2013 10:46 PM
For me.....it's a simple list, each worth more to cinema on the whole than most people know....For what it's worth, judge any film honestly for what it sets out to do and in respect to the time it was made for and you will know its value, understand its place and respect it for what it is. - 'Alien' - Simply put....Ridley's second masterpiece, by only his second film, is as close to perfect as most any film comes. This film exemplifies what it is to take an idea that would otherwise be considered second rate and treat it with the utmost intelligence, care, and artisitc integrity. - 'La Jetee'......(of which '12 Monkey's' is a remake) - What can I say really? Chris Marker's masterpiece is truly unigue, a brilliantly conceived tale of a time traveler's struggle to hold onto love living in the past to whom his only connection is a memory. Told in stills paired with a soft spoken narration, this simple story unfolds with a breathtaking care to recognize what it is to be human and that the power of that reality is such, that one can imagine it reaching through time itself; our nameless protagist's memory holding him fast to a woman of the past he only remembers from a single mental image that will guide him in and out of her life as she calls him "her ghost". If you have any appreciation for science fiction at all, I would say, that this beautiful film is as important and essential a viewing as '2001: A Space Odyssey", "Alien", "Bladerunner", et al. - 'The Thing From Another world' - When Howard Hawks made this gem, the science fiction film was, as a genre, generally discarded as less than fashionable and to make one might be considered career suicide for someone of his stature. Thankfully, his efforts gave film one of the earliest examples of sci-fi horror and a genuinely well made, well acted ensemble piece that, while not necessarily frightening in the modern vein, manages to capture the viewers attention with brilliantly written and layered dialogue, a neat, tense, well structured story and a monster that can only be described, as one character puts it, "a kind of super carrot." - John Carpenter's 'The Thing'- This is a rare and possibly unique example in film in which a remake is as much a masterpiece as its predecessor and for its own originality. Just the reimagining of the thing itself as an organism is one of the most brilliant turns and suspense, high tension inducing ideas in cinematic history. Quite honestly, little can be as creepy or frightening as the notion that a single living cell could make contact with one's body and begin to assimilate itself to the point of total biological replication and control without anyone's knowledge, even the victim themself. You will be hard pressed to find film's with as much well acted, claustraphobic paranioa and mistrust as from this brilliant ensemble cast. - 'Bladerunner' - It's 'Bladerunner' people......Ridley's third masterpiece in only his third film and, truly, the bible when it comes to any visage of dystopian urban srawl. And, when it comes down to it, we're talking about one of the best examples of a story that asks the question of what it is to be human.....period.....and why it's essential that we repeatedly force that question upon ourselves. ....and there you go....

DinoJockey

MemberNoobJun-01-2013 6:44 AM
That's a hard question to answer. There are different categories like aliens, psychic powers, monsters or The Future to choose from and each one has it's winners and losers. "Chronicle" was amazing but "Push" was god awful. You can tell that "Pacific Rim" is gonna be great, but that terrible "Godzilla" with Matthew Broderick was the pits. I appreciate movies with unique themes and original ideas and for the most part - hate remakes - especially when they change the original story line. I have a special thumbs down for "Battleship".

Hades Infernal

MemberNoobJun-06-2013 3:05 AM
1.Prometheus is my favorite movie of all time I just love the direction it took us in and I love 2.Aliens with just how claustrophobic it made me feel but there are so many more I love as for the two worst well 1.Ghosts of Mars sucked the big one what a steaming pile of crap and 2.Dune 1984 I tried to give it the benefit of doubt but I ended up using it for target practice

Beware the bearers of false gifts & their broken promises Much pain but still time There is good out there We oppose deception Conduit closing

D1amond74

MemberNoobJun-10-2013 4:10 AM
My 2 favourite Sci Fi films are Aliens, and Hellraiser.. My 2 worst sci fi films are E.T and Flash Gordon..

kaiju-seeker

MemberNoobJun-13-2013 4:13 AM
My 2 favorite sci fi films - John Carpenter's The Philadelphia Experiment and Back To The Future. Hey.. what can I say.. time travel flicks make for great sci fi imo. My 2 worst - The Terminator -- time travel story done really bad in my opinion and Hot tub time machine. PU.

pulserifle187

MemberNoobJun-13-2013 6:49 AM
@kaija seeker The philadelphia experiment was an awesome movie, totally underrated.

The_Spacejockey

MemberNoobJun-16-2013 7:20 AM
So many great films,makes it hard to even have to choose. But i would have to pick, Blade Runner and Alien. But of course i love tons of other ones like Total Recall,Robocop,Ghostbusters Predator,Prometheus,Close Encounters of The Third kind and the list goes on..So this was more then 2 obviously. For my two worst,what comes to mind is Krull,now that is a real piece of **** right there. And the other one would have to be Ghosts of Mars maybe.

dunkleosteous

MemberNoobJul-08-2013 6:17 AM
@Kaiju Blue....the cube movies were great!good mention! favs are, ofcourse, alien(s)...star wars...serenity..matrix...star trek(esp the new movies) nots are avatar and anything w tom cruise in it...hes nuts

JGeorgeVH

MemberNoobJul-16-2013 8:46 PM
This is a little hard for my least favorite and my 2nd favorite. MY FAVORITES #1 [b]2001: A Space Odyssey[/b] Check out my review for that one #2 [b]Empire Strikes Back[/b] Its my favorite of the trilogy and I love it so much MY LEAST FAVORITES #2 [b]Alien: Resurrection[/b] It just ruined the franchise for me #1 [b]Any Resident Evil Film[/b] They were really aren't good, but earn enough money to where they keep making sequels. They should just stop because I don't think it lends itself to a good enough story in films. Please comment. Do you hate me or do you love me? Thanks. - JGeorgeVH

I Meme Everything

Member2KJun-28-2016 5:26 PM

my 2 favourites are:

2) Star Wars: The Empire Strikes Back

1) Jurassic Park

My 2 least favourites are...Idk...

2) Godzilla (1998)

1) Transformers: Age of Extinction

"Part of the journey is the end..."

Patient Leech

MemberInitiateJun-29-2016 12:39 PM

I agree with many of the ones mentioned already.

Good:

Prometheus, Alien, Predator, Alien 3, The Matrix TRILOGY (yes, the TRILOGY), 2001, Terminator, Children of Men (lesser known and phenomenal!), The Thing, the new Planet of the Apes series, The Fly, Moon, Star Wars series, Mad Max, Event Horizon, The Fifth Element, Jurassic Park Series, etc.

But if I had to pick 2, I would say Prometheus and the Riddick series (Pitch Black, Chronicles, Riddick). I just love dark, irreverent and pulpy sci-fi/Space Opera.

Bad (but can still be enjoyable, haha):

Doom, Avatar, Starship Troopers series, Independence Day, Battlefield Earth, Ghosts of Mars, Jupiter Ascending, Resident Evil series,

Transformers is bad bad, though. I can't even watch them as a joke. They're just awful.

Necronom 4

MemberRespectedJun-29-2016 1:37 PM

Only two each way? That narrows it down lol.

I think I've seen most of the Hollywood style Sci-Fi films. I've seen a lot of indie Sci-Fi.

The films that really stand out to me has being good or great films are the likes of ALIEN. Bladerunner. Star Wars (New Hope.) Terminator. Matrix. Looper. The Martian. 2001 S O. And like Patient Leech, I also really like Moon and Children of Men.

But since it's only two each way, I'm going to be really boring and go for the obvious, because they are my choice.

My two favourite Sci-Fi films are:

1) ALIEN. (my favourite film in any list.)

2) Bladerunner.

My two least favourite films (also a boring and predictable choice, but again, the ones that stand out the most.)

1) AVP

2) AVP 2

The poster was good though!

easternbunny

MemberNoobJun-29-2016 2:34 PM

I think it ´s a little hard to think of two faves and two most disliked sci fi movies .But here are 2 I like and , well , two I didn ´t like all that much

1 . Transcendence  2. Event Horizon

1 . Prometheus  2 . Species 

But right besides . Considering this thread I ask myself - what do we really call a science fiction movie ? It ´s kind of complicated to think of aspects/ingredients which actually turn a movie into a science fiction movie

Then , why is it so hard for me to remember a science fiction movie i watched ? Is it for the cause that I usually decide not to watch a bad science fiction movie , or at least try not to ponder so hard about any movie which was kind of silly ? How bad can it get , haha

Facehuggers

MemberRespectedJul-04-2016 8:09 PM

Best films- 2001: A Space Odyssey, The Thing (1982)

Worst films- Alien vs Predator: Requiem, Fifth Element

indiana jones

MemberNoobJul-04-2016 9:43 PM

Loved sci-fie? Alien, Terminator, Jurassic Park, Corey in the House, ghostbusters, MIB!

Hated? Jurassic World...

"That is one big pile of sh*t" -Doctor Ian Malcom

Gee W

MemberInitiateJul-05-2016 4:41 AM

My two favorites are probably Alien and Blade Runner, just stunning classics. Both have a fairly simple, straight forward story, but there's so much depth to these films. Other favorites are Alien 3, Prometheus, The Thing (1982), Planet of the Apes (original), Moon.

Least favorites are a bit more difficult. Never saw crap like Transformers or Battleship. AvP:R is definitely on there, although it's hardly sci-fi. Jupiter Ascending is another bad one. The remakes of Total Recall and Robocop were pretty bad (the former more so).

triceradon

MemberNoobJul-06-2016 11:37 AM

LIKED (Sorry I can't just do 2 - I have to do 5 and not in a sequence).

1. Terminator 2 (Tied with Alien 2)
2. Transencdence
3. Ex-Machina 
4. Interstellar
5. Tron

1. Prometheus (What a god damn let down).
2. All Transformer movies.

lewis white

MemberNoobJan-30-2019 4:07 AM

Inception,Interstellar,predestination,

Transformer,District 9

Add A Reply
Sign In Required
Sign in using your Scified Account to access this feature!
Email
Password
Latest Images
All Fandoms
Sci-Fi Movies All Fandoms
Alien & Predator Alien & Predator Fandom
Godzilla & Kaiju Godzilla & Kaiju Fandom
Jurassic Park / World Jurassic Park Fandom
Marvel & DC Marvel & DC Fandom
Star Wars Star Wars Fandom
Recently Active Forums
Venom
Venom Discuss all things Venom here!
Dinosaurs
Dinosaurs Talk About Dinosaurs
Alien
Alien Discuss all things Alien here
Time Travel Discussions
Time Travel Discussions Discuss the concepts of space and time travel here
Hot Forum Topics
New Forum Topics
Highest Forum Ranks Unlocked
Chris
Chris » Atman
48% To Next Rank
Svanya
Svanya » 2K
87% To Next Rank
Kattozilla
Kattozilla » Conversationalist
96% To Next Rank
Dark Nebula
Dark Nebula » Conversationalist
82% To Next Rank
GodzillaHugeFan2014
GodzillaHugeFan2014 » Noob
52% To Next Rank
Latest Activity
Scified Community Stats
Scified hosts a network of online communities containing 404,337 posts by 47,972 members (12 are online now). The Venom Forum is the most recently active forum. The latest Forum topic added was: Venom 3 movie title - Venom: The Last Dance
VIPWhat are VIP?AdminModeratorSpecial TitleMember

Scified is an entertainment website and media network offering scoops and reporting on the most popular, upcoming science fiction movies, games and television. All content is property of Scified.com unless otherwise stated. Images and titles of content we promote, discuss, review or report are property of their respective owners. Scified is independantly owned and operated by a team of dedicated sci-fi movie fans, who strive to provide the best information and community experience for other like-minded sci-fi movie enthusiasts.

© 2024 Scified.com
Sign in
Use your Scified Account to sign in

Transport To Communities
Alien Hosted Community
Cloverfield Hosted Community
Godzilla Hosted Community
Jurassic World Hosted Community
Predator Hosted Community
Aliens vs. Predator Hosted Community
Latest Activity
Forums