Alien Movie Universe

Prometheus Sequel won't be written by Lindelof

1647 Views25 Replies
Forum Topic

Chris

AdminEngineerDec-19-2012 11:42 PM
Just posted this [url=http://www.prometheus-movie.com/news/470]here[/url] - Damon Lindelof confirms he will [b]NOT[/b] be involved in Ridley Scott's follow-up to [b]Promethues[/b], potentially titled [b]Paradise[/b] or [b]Prometheus 2[/b]. Here's an excerpt: "[i]The thing about Prometheus was it was a rewrite. Jon Spaihts wrote a script and I rewrote it. And still it was a year of my life that I spent on Prometheus, kind of all in. The idea of building a sequel to it—from the ground up this time—with Ridley is tremendously exciting. But at the same time, I was like, "Well that's probably going to be two years of my life." I can’t do what J.J. [Abrams] does. I don’t have the capability. I'm usually very single-minded creatively. I can only be working on one thing at a time. So I said to him, "I really don’t think I could start working on this movie until I do this other stuff. And I don’t know when the other stuff is going to be done." And he was like, "Well, okay, it's not like I asked you anyways." He and I are on excellent terms and it was a dream come true to work with him. But much to the delight of all the fanboys, I don’t see myself being involved in Prometheus-er.[/i]" You can read more [url=http://www.prometheus-movie.com/news/470]here, on Prometheus-Movie.com[/url]. The interview was conducted over at [i]Collider[/i] - see our news post for original source links. But what do you think about Lindelof not being involved in [b]Prometheus 2[/b]?
Hyped for: Alien: Romulus | Badlands (Predator 6) | Cloverfield 4
25 Replies

Fleshvessel

MemberOvomorphDec-20-2012 12:38 AM
That's excellent news. (Not that it's news, this has been common knowledge, i think, for a while) I am very happy with Prometheus, but i would love to see where this story can go without him. I do hope Spaits will be involved. I literally don't think i can wait for the sequel! (19 viewings so far while i wait for Paradise)
THETRICKISNOTMINDINGITHURTS

NoXWord

MemberOvomorphDec-20-2012 5:51 AM
Wow, 19 viewings! That's some serious commitment! I have seen Alien more than 100 times for sure, and Aliens a bit less, but my Prometheus count is just 6, I still have much to learn! :D
Ridley Scott will eventually tell us how the Queen was born. Right now we have the Deacon; coming soon the Mercury, the May and the Taylor.

BLANDCorporatio

MemberOvomorphDec-20-2012 6:33 AM
And the fandom said - yay? Lindelof's shtick seems to be to build up suspense and ask questions- which is fine for a start, but I do hope the sequel has less fog and more meat. I cannot wait. On watching Prometheus a bazillion times- same here. I'd recommend you try the descriptive audio version. There's a few nice gags at the beginning.
The whole point of this is lost if you keep it a secret.

OldGuy

MemberOvomorphDec-20-2012 6:37 AM
So it appears we won't be getting the "[b]Lost - In Space[/b]" sequel ..... excellent.
In Space, no one can hear you fart.

BigDave

MemberDeaconDec-20-2012 9:54 AM
I think he got a rough ride off a lot of us. I read Spaihts draft and some of it was good, but a lot was all done before and a bit generic and basically only a little more different to Aliens than Alien Resurrection was. Reading Lindelofs Draft you will be surprised that it was not as riddled with holes as the final movie was. While it never had as straighter answers as Spaihts, it was a far cry from the butchered movie we ended up with. You see a movie done exactly like Lindelofs Draft would have worked better, end of the Day the Book as to stop with Ridley Scott. He took Lindelofs draft and he was the one who was responsible for putting that draft script to the cameras etc. So he and others he worked with decided which bits to change and shoot. And then its ultimately who ever cut and edited all the filmed sequences to what we got in the Theatrical that is why the movie had its critics. The deleted scenes many of them would have given a few more clues and made the movie flow better, but some of these cut scenes had errors in them and maybe thats why they was cut. Errors that Ridley has made in previous movies, it would be like cutting out a scene in one of his other movies because well we saw some Men circa 2000 or more years ago wearing jeans. so i think essentially they should have taken Lindelofs draft added some more of Spaihts to it and had....... Peter Jackson Direct the movie... ;) I await a barrage now from Ridley fanboys lol

R.I.P Sox  01/01/2006 - 11/10/2017

BLANDCorporatio

MemberOvomorphDec-20-2012 10:06 AM
irt. [b]BigDave[/b]: I commented in another thread that my theory is, well, 'blame Ridley'. Spaihts' script I read, and it's coherent. You're the second person to recommend Lindelof's draft, so I'll try to find it as well. Any chance it can be found where Fox Studios won't mind? As in, say, that blasted Blu-Ray I don't have a player for? I'm really curious now, because having read Spaihts' "Alien:Engineers", I was seeing a more coherent story while nonetheless preferring the one that ended up in the film. So yeah, 'blame Ridley', but the result is, well, juicier and thematically richer.

Indy John

MemberOvomorphDec-20-2012 10:07 AM
".. try the descriptive audio version..." I found this audio track by accident on the regular DVD, It was very helpdul when viewing the film. That was also said by others at the same screening. I have not found this kind of audio track on on other DVDs. The descriptive audio track to my ears is like an audio book being read while the scenes are unfolding. The diologue is part of the movie not the narrative. I did find some errors in the audio but these were minimal and could be overlooked. I could not display the CC with this audio track on. If you are famiiar with the movie it is also worthwhile to play the movie again with the decriptive audio track on as the terminology that we take for granted at this site is spoken as if for the first time. I don't know how many times I have actually watched the movie beginning to enf,,maybe 8 times. I usually have the movie running on the computer as I working the web checking the video as various scenes get my attention. My question is if there is any scene that has not been part of a thread?
Be choicelessly aware as you move through life

BLANDCorporatio

MemberOvomorphDec-20-2012 10:13 AM
I like the descriptive audio because, English not being my first language, it helps refresh some vocab. And there's also moments like this when the beginning credits appear on screen: *waterfall scene* "a gushing stream of water - produced by Ridley Scott" Yeah, childish, I know, but I can't help laughing.

djamelameziane

MemberFacehuggerDec-20-2012 10:27 AM
Weirdly even though I am not a lover over all of this film I do not think Lindelof was the main baddie and although I dont hate him as much as I used too (even though I hate lost) I am glad because we need way better characterization in the 2nd one even though david n shaw were good...And yer I agree - give Rildey and fox most of the blame for the bad parts I reckon hes become to big headed or something maybe just getting old but I cant blame him after what he done in his life. I mean after all some of the stuff should have been spotted so easily by Ridley... He so should of maybe had someone feeding back truthfully what some parts were looking like or just plain getting truthful feedback instead of 'yes men' but then again maybe no one can do that too him - hes too big a star?

"It's almost as if they are making it up as they go along" :D

BigDave

MemberDeaconDec-20-2012 10:34 AM
@BLANDCorporatio Yes Spaihts' script is coherent, Lindelofs not as much but is far more interesting and different. They way it was put on film is the problem, you see what happened would be like reading Lindelofs draft if you had it printed out but dropped it and some pages flew away some had water on and so you could not read parts. What i mean is the cutting and editing was for me the main culprit and we do not know how much or little Ridley had with that. This is not a Ridley bashing as what he does is visually he can take a story and transfer it to screen in such a brilliant manner and yes a few errors may occur and a few wrong decisions in how to create some stuff but these may also had been budget restraints and one of the biggest changes for that could be the Engineer size, originally depicted in drafts and concepts as 12-15ft the change was made that they would not pull that off, not with the budget and how Ridley wants to shoot them and so the new size of 8-9ft was attempted. But for the most part what Ridley has done with the words of the script as far as visually has been once again a MASTERPIECE. Its just create control of how some of the story should unfold are not Ridleys strong points.

R.I.P Sox  01/01/2006 - 11/10/2017

BLANDCorporatio

MemberOvomorphDec-20-2012 10:57 AM
Then I must find Lindelof's script somehow.

Svanya

AdminPraetorianDec-20-2012 2:38 PM
I have read both scripts and actually preferred the changes Lindelof made to Spaith's script. @BLANDCorporatio; You can find Lindelof's script right here on the forum, we had Spaith's as well but the studio had it taken down. [url=http://www.prometheus-movie.com/news/395]This post has it linked: UPDATE: Damon Lindelof Confirms 'Paradise' Script is Official[/url]

BLANDCorporatio

MemberOvomorphDec-20-2012 2:39 PM
Yay! I'll go looking for it right now. EDIT: yay, you linked to it! Thanks!

BLANDCorporatio

MemberOvomorphDec-20-2012 2:47 PM
I'll have to read the script later, in detail. I just skimmed it for now and a few things do spring to mind. "Shaw (to David): That's because you're a fucking robot." Uhm, no. That seems a bit out of char, lol. (j/k, the character is whatever the script says she is) I do also notice the very ... informal ... way in which L writes the stage directions. Oi, dude, get serious a little.

NoXWord

MemberOvomorphDec-20-2012 3:02 PM
Wow BLAND, I followed your advice and am now watching Prometheus with the descriptive audio... It's a a mystic experience!
Ridley Scott will eventually tell us how the Queen was born. Right now we have the Deacon; coming soon the Mercury, the May and the Taylor.

BLANDCorporatio

MemberOvomorphDec-20-2012 3:07 PM
irt. [b]NoXWord[/b]: wow, lol, nice. You're welcome!

aintnozeno

MemberOvomorphDec-21-2012 8:07 AM
What a spineless jerk DL is! Before Prometheus came out, he said that if the film wasn't any good the blame was completely on HIS shoulders. Now he brags to a reporter as if he let Ridley down easy. What a tool! Spaiths original story had far more potential than DL's watered-down made-for-TV version that we got. Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed it. But we could have LOVED this story!

BLANDCorporatio

MemberOvomorphDec-21-2012 11:23 AM
irt. [b]aintnozeno[/b]: Where did DL pull that? I mean, I'm not seeing in this interview where he brags about letting RS down. Not that, from other things I've heard, he didn't, in a way. I do remember a brief discussion on ... was it RLM or Spill ... about how, up to a point, some self-deprecation was fine. (Whoever said that was referring to DL's self-appreciation of his script, he was happy to trash his own work on twitter) But only up to a point, because beyond that the viewer might start to wonder whether the self-deprecator (DL) took the job seriously enough to be worth pursuing it. I still have to read his script btw. I did hear some good things of it, so ya know.

Prenihility

MemberOvomorphDec-23-2012 10:39 PM
Best news yet! YAAAAAAAAAY! Now we can get a proper movie. One that's NOT rushed.

PatrickNerd

MemberOvomorphJan-29-2013 5:22 PM
All I can say is ... THANK CHRIST!

Jv8r

MemberOvomorphMar-02-2013 12:04 AM
aintnozeno, Prenihility and PatrickNerd... I have nothing to add. You've already summed it up!

hadeze

MemberOvomorphApr-21-2013 1:07 PM
Lindelof came to (a) polish, (b) improve Spaihts script. so goes the explanation here. all I would add is that Lindelof must never read Scientific American or anything to do with astrophysics, biology, genetics or evolution. there are so many holes in his pseudo-science of 2093 that one thinks he went to school a hundred years before today in 2013. Just this mess up as a starter: can't get to the next star system in 2 yrs ... unless you travel faster than light ( Proxima Centauri is 4.2 light yrs from here & this sun is the closest to ours). secondly, even if you did travel faster than light, even if ... then the time passed on Earth would be thousands of years, if not more. not even a footnote en passant regarding this minor matter.... finally, there is a myriad of other pseudo-science nonsense in Prometheus. this script by Lindelof is not even SciFi ... it is only pseudo SciFi ... too bad too, since with a little help from 1 single Physics postgrad student these technical or scientific embarrassments could have been easily avoided.

Cremildo

MemberOvomorphJul-01-2013 8:24 PM
This is not good news, from my point of view. Lindelof was the one responsible for creating the characters we came to love and also the subtextual themes that underline the routine monster-movie structure of Prometheus. Will the new fellow be as attentive to detail and implication? Will he spoonfeed everything that was left intentionally vague? With Scott overseeing everything, I'd like to think "no", but I'm a natural pessimistic.
[url=http://mulhollandcinelog.wordpress.com/]http://mulhollandcinelog.wordpress.com/[/url]

cerb4re

MemberOvomorphSep-23-2013 7:09 PM
I think that is a good thing. Is style is too much close to the fantasy science-fiction and not enough to the realistic and horrific reality of a masterpiece of horror movie. Prometheus was incredible graphically. But we just waiting all the movie that something scary was happening. He as an incredible capacity of imagination, but is not enough close to the "dark side" as to understand what is bad in to the humain feeling to express it in to a script. So we do hope that someone will appear like Dan O'Bannon for the script and Hans Ruedi Giger for the design.

THANATOS_CONTAGION

MemberOvomorphApr-03-2015 1:18 AM

good

Add A Reply
Sign In Required
Sign in using your Scified Account to access this feature!
Email
Password
Latest Images
Alien & Predator Alien & Predator Fandom
Alien Movie Universe Forums
Alien Games
Alien Games Discuss Alien games here
Alien: Romulus
Alien: Romulus Discuss the new Fede Alvarez Alien movie here
Alien
Alien Discuss all things Alien here
Alien: Covenant
Alien: Covenant Discuss the Prometheus Sequel, Alien: Covenant
Alien FX TV Series
Alien FX TV Series Discuss the Alien FX TV series here!
Alien 5 Movie
Alien 5 Movie Discuss Neill Blomkamps’s vision for Alien 5 here
Alien Movies
Alien Movies Discuss the Classic Alien Films
Prometheus
Prometheus Everything About Prometheus
Prometheus Fan Art
Prometheus Fan Art Artwork & Fiction From the Fans
Hot Forum Topics
New Forum Topics
Highest Forum Ranks Unlocked
ninXeno426
ninXeno426 » Praetorian
62% To Next Rank
Thoughts_Dreams
Thoughts_Dreams » Neomorph
85% To Next Rank
MonsterZero
MonsterZero » Xenomorph
92% To Next Rank
Neomorph
Neomorph » Chestburster
80% To Next Rank
Jonesy
Jonesy » Facehugger
91% To Next Rank
Latest Alien Fandom Activity

Alien: Covenant is a sequel to 2012's Prometheus as well as a prequel to 1979's ALIEN. Alien fans looking to know more about Alien: Covenant should check back often. Alien-Covenant.com is an information resource for film enthusiasts looking to learn more about the upcoming blockbuster Alien: Covenant. Providing the latest official and accurate information on Alien: Covenant, this website contains links to every set video, viral video, commercial, trailer, poster, movie still and screenshot available. This site is an extension of the Alien & Predator Fandom on Scified - a central hub for fans of Alien and Prometheus looking to stay up-to-date on the latest news. Images used are property of their respective owners. Alien: Covenant, Prometheus and its associated names, logos and images are property of 20th Century Fox and are in no way owned by Scified and its related entities. This is a fan-created website for the purpose of informing and exciting fans for Alien: Covenant's release. If you have any questions about this site, its content or the Scified Network in general, feel free to contact Scified directly.

© 2024 Scified.com
Sign in
Use your Scified Account to sign in

Transport To Communities
Alien Hosted Community
Cloverfield Hosted Community
Godzilla Hosted Community
Jurassic World Hosted Community
Predator Hosted Community
Aliens vs. Predator Hosted Community
Latest Activity
Forums